Match day experience…. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match day experience….

Malcolm

took the day off work to get through nice and early.  Spent a bit of time having food and drinks and Arrived at hampden half an hour before kick off.  Stood in an enormous queue to get in, got in just after we scored the first goal. Game stopped for the next hour and a half.  Go to the toilet and miss the second goal.  Have to leave around 20 minutes before the end, or risk missing the last train home.  Why no extra trains?

no goals, not much football and home after 1am 🤷‍♂️

We played an absolute blinder last night!

Got in nice and early thereby missing the worst of the rain. When the game was halted we took the inspired decision to go to the pub and had 4 maybe 5 pints. When it became clear the game was going to restart we made our way back to the stadium and made up a rather pathetic sob story about having to take an elderly relative home. Anyway after much to-ing and fro-ing with stewards and supervisors they let us back in! (Although we did miss about 20 mins)

On the way back to the bus I had planked a few cans in a bush for the return journey and lo and behold they were still there! So, while everyone else moaned about the feckin traffic we sat and had a leisurely booze to celebrate another glorious victory!

Got home about 1am tired but happy, although I don’t think my hangover has kicked in yet.

If Carlsberg did rain delayed matches……. 😃

23 minutes ago, slasher said:

Got in nice and early thereby missing the worst of the rain. When the game was halted we took the inspired decision to go to the pub and had 4 maybe 5 pints. When it became clear the game was going to restart we made our way back to the stadium and made up a rather pathetic sob story about having to take an elderly relative home. Anyway after much to-ing and fro-ing with stewards and supervisors they let us back in! (Although we did miss about 20 mins)

On the way back to the bus I had planked a few cans in a bush for the return journey and lo and behold they were still there! So, while everyone else moaned about the feckin traffic we sat and had a leisurely booze to celebrate another glorious victory!

Got home about 1am tired but happy, although I don’t think my hangover has kicked in yet.

Excellent effort!

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Planked 🤣🤣🤣no heard that for a while 🤣

1 hour ago, slasher said:

😂😂😂 outstanding work 

Never experienced a night like it . Totally soaked on the walk from Hampden Bowling club to the ground .My printed ticket was just mush but a gate was set up with a girl letting you through with anything resembling a ticket . Thought the fans were brilliant and so patient ,changed days ,well done to all the ground staff and officials who muncked in to get the game on .Highlight of the delay when DJ put Travis  Why does it always rain on me and whole crowd all joined in . Got back to bus at 11 45 still soaking ,couldn’t believe it ,M8 closed .Back in the house 2 15am .Mental night but still happy , great times to be a Scotland fan .

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Why no extra trains?

Not really much Scotrail can do at such short notice.

Felt for a lot of fans having to leave early to get home, glad I decided to bring the motor.

In all my years of going to football I've never experienced a soaking like it, even in the days with open terracing. Hats off to the groundstaff for getting the place into a playable condition.

The delay wasn't bad news for everyone I see...

'Rain delay let me get to the Scotland game on time' - BBC News

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Not really much Scotrail can do at such short notice.

Felt for a lot of fans having to leave early to get home, glad I decided to bring the motor.

In all my years of going to football I've never experienced a soaking like it, even in the days with open terracing. Hats off to the groundstaff for getting the place into a playable condition.

The delay wasn't bad news for everyone I see...

'Rain delay let me get to the Scotland game on time' - BBC News

the irony here is that for the Spain game, I took the car and didn’t get in until half way through the first half due to the horrendous M8 traffic, and everyone on here said get the train, which I did yesterday and then missed half the second half!

6 hours ago, slasher said:

Screenshot_20230621-141725.png

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we could have just played the game without a delay - pitch the same for both teams.

Dunno, it was a bit of farce. It was like a paddling pool at times.

I think it was the right decision to delay it and clear the water. The pitch wasnt nearly as bad once they restartedthe match.

51 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

the irony here is that for the Spain game, I took the car and didn’t get in until half way through the first half due to the horrendous M8 traffic, and everyone on here said get the train, which I did yesterday and then missed half the second half!

We can make sure someone switches the rain of for you next time🙄

6 hours ago, slasher said:

😂😂😂 brilliant. 

If karma exists I am due your experience next time. We decided to go early for a change so had a drink close to the ground. At 6.30 , still in the pub and dry outside , got a text from a friend saying his wife promised their wee boy she would get tickets for the match not realising it was sold out. He was frantically trying to get 2 and texted me. I tried a couple of folk but no luck. He jumped on the bus to hampden with his wee boy anyway hoping to pick up 2 tickets. I told him if he didn’t manage to get 2 together my husband and I would give them ours and we would go in separately.
So we had to hold off going to the game. When we knew he wasn’t getting any tix we left the pub, by now it was absolutely battering down, i mean battering. My sandal fell off and was sailing down the street as it was like a river, I had to chase it. Was absolutely soaked through to my underwear, and I am about 40 yrs too old for a miss wet t shirt thats for sure. It was murder just standing there drenched for 4 hours. There were 2 kids in front of me and I am not ashamed to say I  would have murdered one of them for their dry hoodie 😁 

Talking of kids, could not believe how patient the kids were around me. No one could have blamed them if they were playing up but they were brilliant. I was also really surprised that so many people stayed to the end given the travel situation. 

Edited by TDYER63

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

we could have just played the game without a delay - pitch the same for both teams.

The game would've been a farcical lottery, with the added risk of injury to the players. Unfortunately it was absolutely the correct decision to delay the game.

Chant of the night was "We're the famous Tartan Army and we want to go to bed." 😄

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Global warming 

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Global warming 

If he (and 10,000 other Malcolms) hadn't taken his car to the Spain game, then that torrential rain might not have happened. Or, at least it might have happened a few hours later. The Malcolms of this world are ruining it for everybody.

Although, I'm more inclined to blame that butterfly in the Amazon.

6 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Was just one of those days, we all pulled together and got what we came for. Magic. 

But but but poor poor malcolm had to queue and he took a day off work for it too 😆 

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂😂 brilliant. 

If karma exists I am due your experience next time. We decided to go early for a change so had a drink close to the ground. At 6.30 , still in the pub and dry outside , got a text from a friend saying his wife promised their wee boy she would get tickets for the match not realising it was sold out. He was frantically trying to get 2 and texted me. I tried a couple of folk but no luck. He jumped on the bus to hampden with his wee boy anyway hoping to pick up 2 tickets. I told him if he didn’t manage to get 2 together my husband and I would give them ours and we would go in separately.
So we had to hold off going to the game. When we knew he wasn’t getting any tix we left the pub, by now it was absolutely battering down, i mean battering. My sandal fell off and was sailing down the street as it was like a river, I had to chase it. Was absolutely soaked through to my underwear, and I am about 40 yrs too old for a miss wet t shirt thats for sure. It was murder just standing there drenched for 4 hours. There were 2 kids in front of me and I am not ashamed to say I  would have murdered one of them for their dry hoodie 😁 

Talking of kids, could not believe how patient the kids were around me. No one could have blamed them if they were playing up but they were brilliant. I was also really surprised that so many people stayed to the end given the travel situation. 

Haha, I think I was due a bit of good karma but I’ll try and spread it around next time Tidy 😉

I felt sorry for some of the staff working, many of whom had no clue how they were going to get home. Hopefully the SFA sorted them out with taxis or something.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Haha, I think I was due a bit of good karma but I’ll try and spread it around next time Tidy 😉

I felt sorry for some of the staff working, many of whom had no clue how they were going to get home. Hopefully the SFA sorted them out with taxis or something.

If anyone was due good karma its you Slasher. Infact I may have actually offered you the weans hoodie before me had you been soaked also 😉

Aye , it would be a disgrace if the SFA didnt sort the staff out with transport, they must be raking it in just now. The food in the catering was sold out by half time. Fans had the choice to stay or leave to get transport , albeit a shite choice , many of the staff would not.