Scotland v Georgia - Match day thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Georgia - Match day thread

Tartan blood

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The georgia that turned up tonight are not beating spain. I doubt they beat norway either. They were brutally bad tonight.

They handed scotland further motivation with their antics. I hope they get humped in every game from now on

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

They handed scotland further motivation with their antics. I hope they get humped in every game from now on

Scotland handled the pitch better.  Just watched the highlights again.  Comical stuff.  But we walk on water!!

I'm wondering if we have found our strongest midfield/forwards combination.

McTominay is absolutely excellent as a box to box midfielder. Giving John McGinn free reign to do what he wants suits him very well. Then we have the possession masters of Gilmour and McGregor in behind. 

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm wondering if we have found our strongest midfield/forwards combination.

McTominay is absolutely excellent as a box to box midfielder. Giving John McGinn free reign to do what he wants suits him very well. Then we have the possession masters of Gilmour and McGregor in behind. 

I think the balance in the midfield was the best we have seen under Clarke. As much as I like the industry of Christie and Armstrong, playing a quartet of McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn gives us much better ability to keep possession. McGinn is excellent with his back to goal and seemed to have been given the freedom to roam which really suits his game. McGregor and Gilmour are technicians who can keep the ball and link defence to midfield, much improving our ability to build from the back - the number of aimless long balls to Dykes felt greatly reduced last night despite the awful conditions. McTominay is so powerful and a quickly developing goal threat. For me it just works better and is more balanced than having the secondary attacker in Christie or Armstrong.

Man of the Match by a country mile leading the line admirably.  When less gifted members of the team were increasingly spooked by a hostile crowd he led by example bollocking them for pushing water towards the goal! 

The leaf blowers showed their inexperience on the international stage for me and although full of endeavour lacked end product.

13 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I think the balance in the midfield was the best we have seen under Clarke. As much as I like the industry of Christie and Armstrong, playing a quartet of McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn gives us much better ability to keep possession. McGinn is excellent with his back to goal and seemed to have been given the freedom to roam which really suits his game. McGregor and Gilmour are technicians who can keep the ball and link defence to midfield, much improving our ability to build from the back - the number of aimless long balls to Dykes felt greatly reduced last night despite the awful conditions. McTominay is so powerful and a quickly developing goal threat. For me it just works better and is more balanced than having the secondary attacker in Christie or Armstrong.

Great post. The midfield were brilliant. McTominay keeps surprising me at how good he actually is. Felt like we attacked with a bit more aggression and purpose with McTominay in this role. Great to see

Not that I care but I can't help but think the 1st goal doesn't happen if it's not that wet. If the ball is bouncing that's a much harder take for McGregor but it sat perfectly for him in the swamp. Georgia quite right to be raging about that imo.

Also penalty decision is shambolic. More proof that the handball rule and VAR is broken

3 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Not that I care but I can't help but think the 1st goal doesn't happen if it's not that wet. If the ball is bouncing that's a much harder take for McGregor but it sat perfectly for him in the swamp. Georgia quite right to be raging about that imo.

Also penalty decision is shambolic. More proof that the handball rule and VAR is broken

Aye I think if it was us that lost a goal in similar circumstances we’d be raging. 

Not sure the rules but in hindsight it’s surprising the game was allowed to start with the pitch like that. 

18 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Man of the Match by a country mile leading the line admirably.  When less gifted members of the team were increasingly spooked by a hostile crowd he led by example bollocking them for pushing water towards the goal! 

The leaf blowers showed their inexperience on the international stage for me and although full of endeavour lacked end product.

Aye, the leaf blowers did add a wee bit to the entertainment. 🤣🤣

My pal, who is a safety manager, said "I'd like to see his risk assessment for that. An electrical appliance in the pishin' rain". Then one of those wee plastic footballs smacked him on the back of the head. "Away and risk assess that pal". 🤣

Is amazing what you find funny in these unusual situations.

45 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

But mcginn would have scored his chance if pitch normal.

In balance I think VAR works.

However handball rules are atrocious.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They way we moved the ball about on that waterlogged pitch was brilliant. 

We are actually a great side to watch when we play like that. Its like the whole team is on the same wavelength at times. 

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

With no Che Adams and no Grant Hanley. Don't think they have been missed too much tbh. 

I'm not sure about that, more Adams than Hanley. Adams movement is very good and keeps defenders occupied. I think there's an argument for starting with him, let him work his socks off then get the physical threat of Lyndon coming later on. Anyhow, nice that we've got a few options with Shankland and Nisbet giving us further options as well. Seems the healthiest it's been for a while.

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

The TA Board is a forum which is read by females and young people.

Your trivialisation of this unsavoury incident is absolutely unacceptable.

I think you need to settle down buddy. I have obviously angered you over the past few days with my views on the norway game to the point where you are looking for any excuse to get on my back. 

If you cant take a bit of light hearted jokes then perhaps an internet forum isnt for you.

For the record i think randomly grabbing birds tits is unacceptable and disgusting behaviour. Its sad that i have to explain that to you but your moral point scoring over some daft jokes is ridiculous and pathetic. 

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Sure they have been quite happy if it had happened in their favour at the other end. Both teams in the same position. 

I think theres some truth in that but he still does well to strike the ball with such accuracy into the corner.

Either way we showed georgia that we were the better team with the way we played overall. We zipped the ball about very well on the pitch and dominated from start to finish. Georgia can only really blame themselves and it should really have been 3 or 4 nil.

But McGinn would have scored if there was less water on the pitch and I thought it was a penalty when it happened and was surprised it took so long to check var.

32 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think theres some truth in that but he still does well to strike the ball with such accuracy into the corner.

Either way we showed georgia that we were the better team with the way we played overall. We zipped the ball about very well on the pitch and dominated from start to finish. Georgia can only really blame themselves and it should really have been 3 or 4 nil.

Aye, McGinn and Porteous really should have taken their chances.

I'm splitting hairs though, last night was as professional and composed a performance as I can remember from the national team.  What makes it especially impressive is it was achieved in difficult circumstances (typical Scotland though that we should have torrential rain after such a lengthy period of hot, dry weather on the one occasion we could have done with it staying dry!).

Three more points and we're surely over the line.  I mind we won our Euro '92 qualifying group with four wins and three draws (equating to 15 points in new money).

3 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

But McGinn would have scored if there was less water on the pitch and I thought it was a penalty when it happened and was surprised it took so long to check var.

Yeh thats a good point about mcginn. He probably would have scored had the pitch not been waterlogged.

You thought the hickey arm ball was a pen?

I suppose the rules are more strict these days but i cant believe pens like that get given. Its accidently brushed against hickeys arm on the way down in a way that hickey can do little to prevent.

Its very harsh imo. My only hope is we get similar decisions in the future to even out things out.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, McGinn and Porteous really should have taken their chances.

I'm splitting hairs though, last night was as professional and composed a performance as I can remember from the national team.  What makes it especially impressive is it was achieved in difficult circumstances (typical Scotland though that we should have torrential rain after such a lengthy period of hot, dry weather on the one occasion we could have done with it staying dry!).

Three more points and we're surely over the line.  I mind we won our Euro '92 qualifying group with four wins and three draws (equating to 15 points in new money).

We are looking too strong to fuck this up. Just need 1 victory from the remaining 4 games.

The way georgia played tonight then i would expect us to get at least a draw over there although i would imagine they will play alot better at home because last night they looked brutal.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh thats a good point about mcginn. He probably would have scored had the pitch not been waterlogged.

You thought the hickey arm ball was a pen?

I suppose the rules are more strict these days but i cant believe pens like that get given. Its accidently brushed against hickeys arm on the way down in a way that hickey can do little to prevent.

Its very harsh imo. My only hope is we get similar decisions in the future to even out things out.

When it happened I was waiting for VAR, I thought Hickey’s arm moved towards the ball and was at shoulder height.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The way georgia played tonight then i would expect us to get at least a draw over there although i would imagine they will play alot better at home because last night they looked brutal.

I thought they knocked the ball about well at times. The boy Gagnidze (had to look that up) in midfield was tremendous, and still only 20. Definite potential to cause teams problems in Tbilisi.