Europe 2022/23 - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

for some reason we got sucked into the whole north american stats thing starting in mid 80s - although back then it was corners etc - it really bores the arse off me ; assists etc = i can see how its relevant in NFL and rugby as yardage and possession typically translate into points

football is all about finishing ; who cares if you hit the bar three times , it really means nothing if you lose 1-0 to a team who score their only chance of the game

If a team has just as much of the ball and as many attempts on goal as the opposition they were competitive. If you don't understand that heaven help you. 

Stats don't determine the result and a team can be totally dominated and pinch a 1-0 win like we did against the Dutch a few years back. Pity we weren't competive in the return leg. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If a team has just as much of the ball and as many attempts on goal as the opposition they were competitive. If you don't understand that heaven help you. 

Stats don't determine the result and a team can be totally dominated and pinch a 1-0 win like we did against the Dutch a few years back. Pity we weren't competive in the return leg. 

wind your neck in pal - you dont get points /goals/ plaudits for being at the races .... goalscoring/finishing is such a vital element of the game as is defending - we had a lot of the ball v Czechs in last euros , but they could finish, we could not - in years time only the score will tell the story

i was at the Dutch game , and had also thought of that as an example of where we stole the game ; similar to games against French just after that

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I agree with your general point but nobody was giving us £10M for Tavernier. The others have all had rumours at some point for fees close to what you've mentioned (or higher in some cases) but the only bid/rumour I can remember for Tav was West Brom and it was about £2M if I remember correctly.

10 million might be abit high but the time when he should have been sold was at the moment when Rangers won the league. His stats and form were off the chart at that stage and he was getting alot of attention on Sky Sports etc. If I remember correctly he would have been around 26/27 so prime for a good transfer.

Remember that more often that not the public never hear about enquiries, especially if neither the club nor the player want the move.

A good few million for an English attacking full back with amazing set piece and normal delivery, Old Firm winning captain aged 26/27 would not be stretching the imagination. Especially if it was to a lower EPL side like Burnley etc

On the original point, I do actually have some sympathy for the board. What do they do when the people who effectively pay their wages, ie the fans have a different outlook to how the club should be run to what they believe is best practice.

16 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

wind your neck in pal - you dont get points /goals/ plaudits for being at the races .... goalscoring/finishing is such a vital element of the game as is defending - we had a lot of the ball v Czechs in last euros , but they could finish, we could not - in years time only the score will tell the story

i was at the Dutch game , and had also thought of that as an example of where we stole the game ; similar to games against French just after that

Stats are good for understanding trends though rather than just concentrating on single games.

As you say, you can win a game by only having one shot at goal however if you only have one shot at goal in several games, the stats would suggest that your team isnt being creative enough. Thats totally seperate from how many points they pick up during those games.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A few wankers on Kerrydale Street saying the referee has been bribed and wanting a criminal investigation 😂🤣

What an absolute weirdo you are going on another clubs message board so you can get all uppity on another! Worth the watching 🤔

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

What an absolute weirdo you are going on another clubs message board so you can get all uppity on another! Worth the watching 🤔

I go on different clubs forums all the time to see what they are saying. It's not a crime.

Was reading the Bristol City board just there to see what they were saying about Tommy Conway.

Fact is there are some professional paranoid fuckwits on KDS.

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Please turn the gas off on your cooker !!!

You do know after all your greeting on other threads, that you dont have to reply to everything I say, I’m flattered, but you’re just not my type, I wish you all the best on finding an internet friend 👋🏽