Season 22/23 - Page 60 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Answer my question on the F McG thread then and explain what you meant about he scored 4 against St Mirren one year when Celtic to win the league. 

I know what you meant, every St Mirren supporter knows what you were implying, you’re a troll c”nt and congratulations to you, I’ve been on this site for over 20 years, met some fantastic people from Tallin to Tokyo to Torshavn etc etc etc etc.

I’m done with this site now, well done. 

Just checked the web and I absolutely apologise.  I really do.  For some reason I thought he had scored 3 or 4 that day.  So my fault but there was no intention of anything in that.  I mean that JJ.  Should check my facts but meant it in a good way for Frank McGarvey.  I hope you know that.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have to take your side

You were the first to offer condolences and did not mock him or his passing

Unfortunately your previous form allowed Jersey Jim to think you were referring to the infamous drubbing Celtic gave St Mirren to win the league from Hearts

Rightly or Wrongly there is not a Hearts fan alive that will believe St Mirren did not lie down that day ergo it was seen as a "dig"

Aye.  Just read the story about that day when Albert Kidd scored at Dens.  For some reason I thought Frank scored a few goals but was wrong.  No way in mocking and have apologised if JJ or anyone else took that the wrong way.

1 hour ago, SamP said:

Brilliant Bonzo.  Sorry.  I am not allowed now to tell the truth about the club like no other.  Will stick to news from now on about them kid.

The truth  is a full circle 360°. Sick and tired of aw this it wiznae us it was them..stand on.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have to take your side

You were the first to offer condolences and did not mock him or his passing

Unfortunately your previous form allowed Jersey Jim to think you were referring to the infamous drubbing Celtic gave St Mirren to win the league from Hearts

Rightly or Wrongly there is not a Hearts fan alive that will believe St Mirren did not lie down that day ergo it was seen as a "dig"

In the final game of the season, when one team has everything to play for (Celtic) and the other team has nothing to play for (St. Mirren) then you often see results like this happen.  That’s not to say that players will deliberately lie down, rather that mentally they were on the beach.   If they concede an early goal then it’s much more likely to metaphorically down tools.   A professional footballer told me once that the one thing that players really want to avoid is to get an injury in the last game of the season as it screws up your holidays, instead of having two weeks on the beach, you’ll be in the club everyday getting treatment.

Dundee on the other hand had something to play for as they had an outside chance of qualifying for Europe.  Alex McDonald screwed up and went for the draw, Albert Kidd was a substitute.  

I can well remember that day and I don’t really recall any conspiracy stories going on.  The general chat was all about Hearts blowing it.   I think the conspiracy is a later invention.  

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Answer my question on the F McG thread then and explain what you meant about he scored 4 against St Mirren one year when Celtic to win the league. 

I know what you meant, every St Mirren supporter knows what you were implying, you’re a troll c”nt and congratulations to you, I’ve been on this site for over 20 years, met some fantastic people from Tallin to Tokyo to Torshavn etc etc etc etc.

Don’t let the arsehole drive you away.

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

In the final game of the season, when one team has everything to play for (Celtic) and the other team has nothing to play for (St. Mirren) then you often see results like this happen.  That’s not to say that players will deliberately lie down, rather that mentally they were on the beach.   If they concede an early goal then it’s much more likely to metaphorically down tools.   A professional footballer told me once that the one thing that players really want to avoid is to get an injury in the last game of the season as it screws up your holidays, instead of having two weeks on the beach, you’ll be in the club everyday getting treatment.

Dundee on the other hand had something to play for as they had an outside chance of qualifying for Europe.  Alex McDonald screwed up and went for the draw, Albert Kidd was a substitute.  

I can well remember that day and I don’t really recall any conspiracy stories going on.  The general chat was all about Hearts blowing it.   I think the conspiracy is a later invention.  

Hertz played Clydebank (already relegated) the week before at tynecastle and only won 1-0, had they hammered them Celtic would have needed double figures against St Mirren or St Liedown as most of my jambo mates still refer to them as. 

Edited by dan cake

4 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Hertz played Clydebank (already relegated) the week before at tynecastle and only won 1-0, had they hammered them Celtic would have needed double figures against St Mirren or St Liedown as most of my jambo mates still refer to them as. 

I guess it’s easier to look for someone else to blame rather than accept your own failings. 

BTW, you’re wrong about Clydebank.  Clydebank did finish bottom but there was no relegation that season because of league reconstruction.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Dundee were not a bad side that season,it was a difficult tie.  Absolutely down to hearts to get the job done, but bill crombie denied hearts a stone wall penalty in the first half.  Hearts had struggled in the previous games I think including a home draw against aberdeen.

having said that, caving in 5-0 at home was poor from st mirren.  There was a rumour that some st mirren players were out on the town with the celebrating Celtic team that night - not sure if this true or not but heard that rumour.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I can vividly recall at Italia 90 (4 years after this) meeting some Hearts fan sitting outside a pub in Menton

There was 7 of us and 4 supported Celtic

The discussion got really heated when the league decider came up and they were fucking raging about St Mirren lying down - it did not seem to me that this was a later invention - in fact most supporters at the time, apart from those of a Celtic persuasion, believed St Mirren did not give their all by a long chalk 

I know this because i took the side of the Hearts boy .........

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Not to mention that so called St. Liedown absolutely pumped Hearts 6-2 that season which didnae do a great deal for their goal difference either. 

2 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

I would ditch him at the earliest opportunity…..his annoying American accent will do your head in 🤣

I’ve already said I’m not going out Friday, but he’s having none of it. 

My bairn meets him Saturday, he’ll probably look for this child divorce thing come Sunday. 

Just to add my tuppenceworth to the Hertz bottle job in 86.

Does anyone seriously believe a Saints team with an ex-Rangers full back as manager and an ex Rangers keeper in goals that day would chuck it? 

And as someone mentioned earlier, they had the chance to put the issue to bed the week before against Clydebank at a packed Tynecastle.

Absolutely shat the bed big time. Tell that to that bitter cunt Sandy Clark who implied in his book we lay down. The Saints board should have gone after that prick in the courts 

1 hour ago, King Of Paisley said:

Just to add my tuppenceworth to the Hertz bottle job in 86.

Does anyone seriously believe a Saints team with an ex-Rangers full back as manager and an ex Rangers keeper in goals that day would chuck it? 

And as someone mentioned earlier, they had the chance to put the issue to bed the week before against Clydebank at a packed Tynecastle.

Absolutely shat the bed big time. Tell that to that bitter cunt Sandy Clark who implied in his book we lay down. The Saints board should have gone after that prick in the courts 

Hear, Hear, but the fannies will be back in the morning telling you that his daddy is bigger than his daddy 😆

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I can vividly recall at Italia 90 (4 years after this) meeting some Hearts fan sitting outside a pub in Menton

There was 7 of us and 4 supported Celtic

The discussion got really heated when the league decider came up and they were fucking raging about St Mirren lying down - it did not seem to me that this was a later invention - in fact most supporters at the time, apart from those of a Celtic persuasion, believed St Mirren did not give their all by a long chalk 

I know this because i took the side of the Hearts boy .........

'They' were raging alright. Quite the vandals as they made their way to the railway station panning in shop windows.

7 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

I’m sure Sandy Clark and Albert Kidd has crossed paths a few times down the years and he refuses to speak to him, as you say bitter cunt. 

14 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

If it means you staying on the TAMB Jim, I will leave.  That is a promise to you.  I don't want to be responsible for a good poster leaving here.  That's a promise and I will keep it.

23 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

My memory is vague but wasn’t the Love St result sort of irrelevant as Hearts failed to beat Dundee? 

No, Hearts just needed a point hence the pitch invasion at 2-0 when it truly was all over.  I'm pretty sure there was a sickness bug in the Hearts' camp that week as well.  I think Levein was missing from the final game and he'd been brilliant all season.  Bottom line is, Albert Kidd or St Mirren or not, it was always in Hearts' own hands.

I worked in Edinburgh at the time and it was like death in the family stuff for many of the workforce on the Monday.  I don't remember any of the Hibbies being daft enough to wind them up about it either although they were obviously p*ssing themselves.