Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only just considered Ukraine's other already-scheduled matches (they too have four in June)

This is messy.

I think Orraloon mentioned simple solutions.

Yes, keep it simple.

Ukraine to select a squad of foreign based players for the play-off or drop out.

Make a decision. Don't drag it out. It's only football.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be honest it doesn't need to be reported - it is inevitable.

I agree it will definitely happen but it would be good to know what FIFA’s plan is if Ukraine are unable to play in June. Will they even address this when they do announce their decision?

1 hour ago, Jamessm238 said:

Early Reports have said it’s been postponed till June.

Futile. Postponing until June is just to make uefa/fifa feel good about themselves. Never mind the problems it will cause. No way things will be better by then, probaly worse. All that will happen is Ukraine will either have to play with players that play outside of Ukraine or withdraw. Exactly the position they are in now. Totally ridiculous. The annoying thing is uefa/fifa know that, but are more concerned about how they look rather than making their decision based on the situation in Ukraine. 

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

I've only just considered Ukraine's other already-scheduled matches (they too have four in June)

This is messy.

I think Orraloon mentioned simple solutions.

Yes, keep it simple.

Ukraine to select a squad of foreign based players for the play-off or drop out.

Make a decision. Don't drag it out. It's only football.

If Ukraine hadn’t requested a postponement I think this is probably what would have happened but there’s no way FIFA will say no as there will be public outcry. 

One thing they could potentially do is ask Ukraine to forfeit their Nations League match against us in June and play it on that date. UEFA would need to agree to that though as well as Ukraine. That wouldn’t solve the problem of when the final would be played though. I’m not sure if Ukraine would even agree to that but I’m sure they’d rather forfeit a NL match than a World Cup playoff. 

12 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Futile. Postponing until June is just to make uefa/fifa feel good about themselves. Never mind the problems it will cause. No way things will be better by then, probaly worse. All that will happen is Ukraine will either have to play with players that play outside of Ukraine or withdraw. Exactly the position they are in now. Totally ridiculous. The annoying thing is uefa/fifa know that, but are more concerned about how they look rather than making their decision based on the situation in Ukraine. 

Exactly. Postpone the game until June and postpone, for example, the Armenia game on 4 June and refund sold tickets for that match. Then, when rescheduled Ukraine game in June is inevitably postponed, Armenia game can be reinstated and tickets for that re-sold. It’s the sort of stupid thing the sfa would do / agree to do.

48 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

What would happen regarding tickets? Would the existing tickets for the Ukraine game be honoured for a later date and have a seperate ticket sale for a friendly with Poland ? 

What's with this friendly with Poland? Why would we want that. Wheres the attraction in that. No thanks. 

Most fans will have bought the 4 game package, not many will want a refund. Might be some individual tickets needing refunded, but overall a ticket refund isn't an important issue.

If we do play Ukraine in June, what happens to the final game? Do Wales play Austria as planned in a few weeks? When do the June games go ahead, the easiest fix is replacing the first home game with this play off game, effectively minimising any trouble for fans.

FIFA and UEFA are in a bit of troubled water here, they can't possibly say no to Ukraine, but there's knock on effect.

5 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Exactly. Postpone the game until June and postpone, for example, the Armenia game on 4 June and refund sold tickets for that match. Then, when rescheduled Ukraine game in June is inevitably postponed, Armenia game can be reinstated and tickets for that re-sold. It’s the sort of stupid thing the sfa would do / agree to do.

On the day Scotland are supposed to play Armenia, Ukraine are supposed to play Ireland. 

6 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Yes, the whole idea is stupid and pointless. A complete waste of time. Wont make one bit of difference postponing until June. All it will do is cause a lot of hassle etc... all for nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If they move this play-off and the play-off final to June... Dublin and Yerevan are down the tubes??

Unless they take away the first two games of the four game set, and we have this sequence

1. H Ukraine Playoff 
  2. A Austria / Wales Playoff final
  3. A Ireland
  4. A Armenia

Schedule the two missed home games later on.

Who knows though....

26 minutes ago, thesaint said:

What's with this friendly with Poland? Why would we want that. Wheres the attraction in that. No thanks. 

Dont shoot the messenger , I dont particularly want it either , but from the sounds of things it seems quite possible . 

30 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

It’s ridiculous. Just play or forfeit. 

J

24 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If they move this play-off and the play-off final to June... Dublin and Yerevan are down the tubes??

Brilliant, glad I booked early for Yerevan. They (not sure who they are) should be refunding the fans, I know war is bad and all, but there will really be no difference between now and June situationally just a car crash of a fixture headache that will affect 6 sets of supporters.

All because FIFA don’t have the balls to do the hard but right thing of rejecting Ukraines request. 

J

Those screaming for an immediate forfeit - remember the circumstances. Ukraine has been invaded and is fighting for its survival as an independent nation. The majority of their squad are carrying guns just now with football a million miles from their mind. For FIFA/UEFA to immediately come out right now and say you play in March or forfeit would be seen as totally unacceptable by the football community (apart from Scotland fans wanting a bye). I get the point that it will most likely not be over by June then that is the time the say Ukraine must forfeit. One thing I do not understand is why Wales V Austria cannot still go ahead in March? Seems pointless to me to make them wait too.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Those screaming for an immediate forfeit

Has anyone called for that?

They have called for a Ukraine squad of Ukrainian players selected from clubs who play outside of Ukraine or for Ukraine to forfeit the match.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ukraine has been invaded and is fighting for its survival as an independent nation. The majority of their squad are carrying guns just now with football a million miles from their mind.

Indeed. They have more important things to worry about.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For FIFA/UEFA to immediately come out right now and say you play in March or forfeit would be seen as totally unacceptable by the football community

Let FIFA and UEFA ignore reality then. Let them bury their heads in the sand. Let them keep their fingers crossed.

No... Let FIFA and UEFA look at the situation as it is - Not as they would like it to be.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing I do not understand is why Wales V Austria cannot still go ahead in March? Seems pointless to me to make them wait too.

Sporting integrity. If they play in March, whichever one gets to the final will be at home and won't have a semi-final match 3/4/5 days beforehand, whereas Scotland or Ukraine will have.

That said, I would rather Wales and Austria did play this month, so we would know where we are going.

22 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Has anyone called for that?

They have called for a Ukraine squad of Ukrainian players selected from clubs who play outside of Ukraine or for Ukraine to forfeit the match.

Indeed. They have more important things to worry about.

Let FIFA and UEFA ignore reality then. Let them bury their heads in the sand. Let them keep their fingers crossed.

No... Let FIFA and UEFA look at the situation as it is - Not as they would like it to be.

Sporting integrity. If they play in March, whichever one gets to the final will be at home and won't have a semi-final match 3/4/5 days beforehand, whereas Scotland or Ukraine will have.

That said, I would rather Wales and Austria did play this month, so we would know where we are going.

Sorry but wanting any forfeit just now with Ukraine they are in the position they are in is pretty low if you ask me. I feel sad that Scots feel that way to be honest.

FIFA/UEFA are doing the only decent thing giving Ukraine every possible chance to fulfill the fixture in the most trying and impossible circumstances you could imagine. They are a country under siege and constant aerial bombardment - the very last thing they need is football's governing bodies putting the jack boot in too. Fixtures were postponed left, right and centre for months due to COVID so I don't see why the angst for postponing this one. Sure it most probably will not be over by June but then is the time for them to say Ukraine forfeit - not now.

As for the final point - okay fair enough but it then leads to an even greater fixture pile-up as, I take it, Czech Republic V Sweden semi will be postponed since Poland's match V Russia is off.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but wanting any forfeit just now with Ukraine they are in the position they are in is pretty low if you ask me. I feel sad that Scots feel that way to be honest.

FIFA/UEFA are doing the only decent thing giving Ukraine every possible chance to fulfill the fixture in the most trying and impossible circumstances you could imagine. They are a country under siege and constant aerial bombardment - the very last thing they need is football's governing bodies putting the jack boot in too. Fixtures were postponed left, right and centre for months due to COVID so I don't see why the angst for postponing this one. Sure it most probably will not be over by June but then is the time for them to say Ukraine forfeit - not now.

As for the final point - okay fair enough but it then leads to an even greater fixture pile-up as, I take it, Czech Republic V Sweden semi will be postponed since Poland's match V Russia is off.

For the record; I don't want them to forfeit it.

I want them to field whichever team they can from the leagues of Europe, Brazil, etc...