Hickey - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hickey

Squirrelhumper

12 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

That's the spirit. Get to fuck a 19 year old who was nominated for young player of the year in Serie A.

Good point. There were a lot of poor performances from more established Scotland players last night. It seems harsh to pick out Aaron Hickey. But I guess a scapegoat is necessary?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the thread, so others may have made this point. For me the problem was Hickey playing on right. A natural right footer O 'Donnell or Ralston should have played there. I know he has played there for his club, but only a handful of times. He may be two- footed, but clearly much more comfortable on left, as left foot is strongest foot. It was very frustrating watching Ukraine able to press Hickey back, as he was reluctant or unable to play ball up the wing on his weaker foot. We very much missed Patterson, but O'Donnell would have been a better option there than Hickey.

Hopefully Clarke won't make that mistake again. 

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course. And if he plays then gets ostracised........?

Fans are so fickle. If you were to ask fans if they wanted Aaron Hickey to play the vast majority of fans would have said yes. Where are all those now? Hindsight is wonderful.

He won't get ostracised if he plays well.

Hickey was everyone's choice including mine but I was shocked at how poor he was. He had a poos debut but that doesn't mean he can't or won't get better

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Hickey was everyone's choice including mine but I was shocked at how poor he was. He had a poos debut but that doesn't mean he can't or won't get better

Precisely. It happens. Players play crap from time to time but people calling for him to be axed need to take a reality check. I mean last night only Craig Gordon came out of that match with any credit as the rest were sub-standard but do not see calls for the rest to be axed.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Precisely. It happens. Players play crap from time to time but people calling for him to be axed need to take a reality check. I mean last night only Craig Gordon came out of that match with any credit as the rest were sub-standard but do not see calls for the rest to be axed.

90 mins under his belt. He'll learn from the experience (as will some of the other players who were poor but Steve Clarke persisted with).

16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Struggled tonight, needs more time to settle in at international level.

Would be easy to bring back S O'D for nations league games but Hickey needs run of games to get into groove as he obviously has talent for what he's producing at Bologna so might aswell stick with him against weaker opposition before Patterson returns in September.

I think Patterson is still in the squad, just not fit enough for Ukraine. He should start against Armenia to get his fitness up. 

Hickey is going to be a good player for us. Had a poor fist half last night but he will get better with time and more games under his belt. I'd start him at left back against Armenia. He wasn't any worse than Robbo last night.

I think Hickey and Robertson were hung out to dry by Clarke.

By playing Dykes and Adams so narrow there was no-one in front of the full backs to play up to and overlap.

There were several occasions when Robertson was forced to try and take on at least 2 Ukrainians up the wing. Hickey was getting caught with 2 players all the time.

Clarke was completely out thought by the Ukrainian manager.

I would like to see Hickey get another chance next week, he is definitely going to be a big player for us.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course. And if he plays then gets ostracised........?

Fans are so fickle. If you were to ask fans if they wanted Aaron Hickey to play the vast majority of fans would have said yes. Where are all those now? Hindsight is wonderful.

Exactly, the criticism is way over the top.  At least he is willing to use his 'wrong' foot.  Look at Robertson, on at least 2 occasions last night he should've used his right foot but flat out refused to.  Still can't get my head around the fact that a professional footballer, not just Robertson by any means, can become established without being able to use both feet equally.  I taught myself and then my son to do this in my own back garden ffs!

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He won't get ostracised if he plays well.

A poos debut, teehee! 😊

40 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I think Hickey and Robertson were hung out to dry by Clarke.

By playing Dykes and Adams so narrow there was no-one in front of the full backs to play up to and overlap.

There were several occasions when Robertson was forced to try and take on at least 2 Ukrainians up the wing. Hickey was getting caught with 2 players all the time.

Clarke was completely out thought by the Ukrainian manager.

I would like to see Hickey get another chance next week, he is definitely going to be a big player for us.

Thats it exactly. Neither Hickey or Robertson are the type of player to run at defenders and take them on (like Tierney and Patterson). Their strength is pass and move. The way we setup last night was totally wrong for them as there was nobody to pass to. As soon as we went 1 up top both wing backs played better.

When Hickey develops physically he is going to be some player.

14 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Good point. There were a lot of poor performances from more established Scotland players last night. It seems harsh to pick out Aaron Hickey. But I guess a scapegoat is necessary?

Mctominay is the scapegoat. He gets blamed for any goal thats scored regardless of wether hes at fault or not.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mctominay is the scapegoat. He gets blamed for any goal thats scored regardless of wether hes at fault or not.

.... I'm a bit tired and my brain processed that as "...regardles of whether he's on the pitch or not." 😀