What would be acceptable? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would be acceptable?

ceudmilefailte

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, slasher said:

You're embarrassing yourself. The man has an excellent coaching pedigree.  He's been employed by several top clubs in England. He guided WBA to an 8th place finish only to be placed on gardening leave 6 months later. Is this how we're going to run the Scotland job? You're all sugar this month, next month you're out? Fuck off! 

He's made mistakes for sure, in the Euros also I feel. He still has time and deserves that time to fix it. None of the fuds who want him out have any clue who to turn to next. Do yourself a favour and log out PS 😏

Great post 👏

54 minutes ago, borojock said:

does anyone know what 2nd placed team is decided on if two teams finish on the same points - is it head to head results or overall goal difference. If goal difference tonight could be important to bag a few goals 

Goal difference in the group is the tie breaker for the World Cup. In the Euros it's head to head.

53 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Goal difference in the group is the tie breaker for the World Cup. In the Euros it's head to head.

Be fun if all the games between Israel Austria and us end up draws, Denmark beat the others twice. All we would need then is a draw against Denmark or we could lose that one and sneak through on goal difference. 

Maybe that's the plan.

The results so far have been all draws between us, Austria and Israel, so was wondering the same myself. Which of the 3 will win against one of the other 2 or possibly take anything from Denmark? Assuming of course that Moldova or the Faroes don't nick a silly point. 3 points today and at least a point away to Austria and it's still all to play for. Our 2-0 loss to Denmark might not be so bad when it all plays out on goal difference. As stated by others, Austria losing 4-0 at home to Denmark just emphasises the importance of taking a few off Moldava tonight. 

Edited by killiefaetheferry

3 hours ago, duncan II said:

A sensible post at last. This thread is an embarrassment and reeks of self-entitlement and delusions of grandeur. The last 40 years we’ve been pish with occasional glimpses of half-decentness. This campaign is not fucked. Still very much in the hunt for second. The team in the second half of a game just three days ago looked decent.

Point of the thread was to find out what would be expected from a manager to justify a longer contract.

If we are still in a position were we can qualify without starting to need other results to fall our way then a new contract is justified. If we lose all three it isn't . If you are happy with a 2-0 defeat against any team it isn't

It's hardly self-entitlement and delusions of grandeur to have a minimum expectation. 

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The results so far have been all draws between us, Austria and Israel, so was wondering the same myself. Which of the 3 will win against one of the other 2 or possibly take anything from Denmark? Assuming of course that Moldova or the Faroes don't nick a silly point. 3 points today and at least a point away to Austria and it's still all to play for.

Problem is a draw against Austria means qualification could  be in their  hands not ours.

TBH, I thought 4 at the start of the week as the minimum. Depending on Israel - Austria (a draw would be perfect) we don't actually have to win in Vienna, although we should be aiming to win games like that if we are to qualify or even get to playoffs for WCs etc and no doubt the Austrians will be saying the same, they are a better team than us. 

We lost 2-0 in Copenhagen, we may well lose 5-0 to Denmark at Hampden; but so far we're plus -2 against their -4 v Denmark. So even a 2/3-0 win tonight, might help us greatly with GD.

6 points would be a very good return considering the first 30 mins against Denmark. Especially if we put in a decent performance in the next two matches. 

3 points we would be near enough out of it. Maybe not, but we would be requiring magic e.g beat Denmark at home and results to go our way.

Anything less than 4 and we are oot basically.

18 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Ah okay, good to know. So away goals is pretty low down the priority list, meaning the 2-2 at home might not be as horrible a result as it would have been in the past if we, say, drew 0-0 or 1-1 in Austria. 

A draw v Austria might be enough. But we still have the Israel wild card to attend to. I'm more afraid of them than I am of Austria at this point.

As well as getting a draw away to Austria we would also need Israel to take a couple of points off them as well. Or, we could win the next two games and we are then probably favorites for 2nd place. Before this set of games I thought we needed 5 or 6 points from 9. We can't get 5 now so he needs to go out to try to win both our next two games. I don't think 4 points would be enough. 

Suddenly a point in Israel dosen't look so disgraceful does it? As I thought they're beating Austria comfortably.

As I suspected the crucial game in the run in is going to be at home to Israel, simply have to win that. Israel still have to go to Austria and Denmark so have the toughest run in of the three chasing second even if they have the points and GD currently.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Suddenly a point in Israel dosen't look so disgraceful does it? As I thought they're beating Austria comfortably.

As I suspected the crucial game in the run in is going to be at home to Israel, simply have to win that. Israel still have to go to Austria and Denmark so have the toughest run in of the three chasing second even if they have the points and GD currently.

Or the draw at home to Austria wasn’t very good

On 9/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, thplinth said:

That is a given. The away fixture fills me with dread especially if we scrape past them at home... I can almost write the script now.

I think Israel are the team I fear the most as second place rivals (we ain't outpacing Denmark). So a win against Austria for them is not great either.

We really need them to draw (and us to win and ideally win well). Then it really is back in our own hands for the remaining games.

You never know we might get lucky this time. 😀

So, confirmed. They are a tidy wee team, we've all seen it. 

Now we have to beat both (again assuming we win tonight).

edit: I see us 'scraping past' Moldova at home is nicely on track but. 😀

Edited by thplinth

7 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

TBH, I thought 4 at the start of the week as the minimum. Depending on Israel - Austria (a draw would be perfect) we don't actually have to win in Vienna, although we should be aiming to win games like that if we are to qualify or even get to playoffs for WCs etc and no doubt the Austrians will be saying the same, they are a better team than us. 

We lost 2-0 in Copenhagen, we may well lose 5-0 to Denmark at Hampden; but so far we're plus -2 against their -4 v Denmark. So even a 2/3-0 win tonight, might help us greatly with GD.

6 points would be a very good return considering the first 30 mins against Denmark. Especially if we put in a decent performance in the next two matches. 

3 points we would be near enough out of it. Maybe not, but we would be requiring magic e.g beat Denmark at home and results to go our way.

Anything less than 4 and we are oot basically.

Disagree, 2 wins v Moldova, win in Faroes, win v Israel at home and draw v Denmark = 18 points.

In that situation Israel would need two draws from Austria away and Denmark away (or win one of them to get to 18 or 19 points.

Austria would have to win 4 of their last 5 (assuming they lose to Denmark away but looks pretty probable considering how mediocre they are away from home) to get to 19 points so plenty of pressure on them.

Honestly think it will come down to beating Israel. Don't and it will be another near miss, 3 points and I'd be very confident of 2nd and it would certainly come down to the last match.

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So we are now in third spot as predicted but by scraping a measly goal against Moldova at home... sigh... that is about the absolute shitiest 'win' I can imagine.

Not a fucking chance in hell we are going to the world cup is my bet at this point.

You’re expecting too much. We should applaud anything and everything. 

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

So we are now in third spot as predicted but by scraping a measly goal against Moldova at home... sigh... that is about the absolute shitiest 'win' I can imagine.

Not a fucking chance in hell we are going to the world cup is my bet at this point.

I could of told you that before the qualifying group was announced. We are not one of the best 13 teams in Europe. Thats clear. 

We absolutley dominated against Moldova and created lots of chances. Ppl have short memories, I can remember many a dire performance over the last 20 years were we would struggle against teams like Moldova. Overall it wasn't a bad performance but we will need to start converting chances if we are to stand a chance of qualifying. 

I was disappointed with scoreline but I wasn't with the performance. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Denmark aside, that seems to be the trending thought the past year. We are so close to being a good side. We just need to start battering teams like Moldova. Although it was a good performance, it doesn't help with our confidence in front of goal.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I could of told you that before the qualifying group was announced. We are not one of the best 13 teams in Europe. Thats clear. 

We absolutley dominated against Moldova and created lots of chances. Ppl have short memories, I can remember many a dire performance over the last 20 years were we would struggle against teams like Moldova. Overall it wasn't a bad performance but we will need to start converting chances if we are to stand a chance of qualifying. 

The worst home win I remember was Liechtenstein under levein. Now that was a shitty home win

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

This is one point where you and I are very different. I think that "converting chances" IS part of the the performance, and a very important part of it.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The worst home win I remember was Liechtenstein under levein. Now that was a shitty home win

At least that was really exciting though. Well, it was for those of who actually stayed long enough to see us get the winner about 12 minutes into injury time. About half the crowd were half way home before we scored. :lol: