Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 84 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, thesaint said:

Like McTominay,but for me Mcginn mcGregor and Gilmour has worked well for us.Why would you change a midfield that has started to look really good?Those three in midfield seem to compliment each other really well.That would just be typical of us.Find a winning combination,and then at the first opportunity change it for no reason.

My thoughts exactly.

I think of McTominay as a great character a leader in the making, great physical attributes in pace, strength, presence, hard worker will give everything, committed a team player etc but I also think of McTominay as never being truly convinced when he's been in the Scotland shirt and not sure if he will excel in a position or a player that can do a decent job in a few positions. I don't think he's a great defensive midfielder, he's not a creative midfielder and I don't think he's a great box to box midfielder who will score tons of goals, yes he's scored in the last 2 but there the only 2 this season. 17 goals in 180 appearances is hardly Frank Lampard territory.

Great player to have in the squad, is certainly a good player but with our current results and very recent performances in the middle of the park i dont know why you would look a changing the personal, the formation has worked for us and the players of Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn done awesome. 

The takeaway isnt it nice we're in this position of talking about should a Man Utd starter be in our starting 11 after 6 wins on the bounce - the momentum in terms of results and performance has been great and the quality of the squad has certainly improved what a time to be a Scotland fan.  

On 1/8/2022 at 6:44 PM, Tartan blood said:

Give him a chance 😂

If the sky sports app is correct, and Everton are playing 343, that could suit Patterson. Jonjoe Kenny is currently playing right wing back, who was, by all accounts, a failure at Celtic. Supplanting Coleman will be hard. Supplanting Kenny, not so much.

I'd be amazed if Patterson can't nail down a starting position fairly soon in that Everton side. Jonjo Kenny is one of the worst players I've seen at Celtic in recent years and Seamus Coleman is done. 

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

But Clarke hasn't played him at centre back for quite a long time. 

Also I can remember countless times Hanley, Cooper etc have been out of position. Most of our centre backs have had nightmare games to forget. I can't remember mctominay ever having a terrible game there. Your judging him pretty harshly if your evidence is being out of position a couple of times. 

Regardless though I do agree he needs a chance in his proper position. I would like to see a four man midfield diamond of mctominay, Gilmour, mcgregor and mcginn. 

The diamond midfield that you mention is a great option and certainly one that we should play against the very top teams if we get the chance to play them again.e.g france Brazil etc. Gilmour at bottom with mcginn at top and McGregor and mctominay license to go box to box. Clarke has went with 4 midfielders but in a box formation with 2 at the base in gilmour and McGregor and mcinnes and Armstrong/christie supporting dykes/Adam's. Also if 2 strikers he had 2 at base and if he always wants 2 at the base then I dont think mctominay puts out gilmour or McGregor . In that formation I like him at rcb as his ability on ball is better suite to that role imo. As someone else said it's been a very long time since we imagined a man utd player wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and whilst I feel he should be the discussion on it shows how strong we are getting.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Lewis Fiorini has been outstanding the last couple of matches for Lincoln, Scottish Analyst Owen Brown was asked who he sees as the young player to watch 2022 and he named Fiorini.

I think he scored some crackers early in the season plus a few for the Dutch team the season before. It sounds like hes a decent talent, would like to see him at a championship club next season. Hes only 19 so hes got lots of time to develop into an epl player although the chances of him making it at man city are very slim. 

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Is there another loophole so he can be eligible for Scotland again once the AFCON is over 😆

The big useless donkey loophole should be used. 

Nah fair play to the guy, sounds like hes got his career back on track after some personal problems. Good luck to him. 

2 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Christie man of the match, even though Bournemouth lost

It looks like his choice to go there was an inspired decision. The alternative was Burnley, wasn't it? Who look like they'll probably be relegated. Where as Bournemouth will likely be promoted. A year in the Championship to bed in will do him the world of good.