Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 82 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

If you go back and read the discussion and you will find why Malcolm weighed in with his point. 

His point is correct on how the spl clubs would do in the championship. Saying that i think most of us acknowledge that given the riches of the championship that teams like Aberdeen, hibs etc could improve their teams and do well in the championship and maybe gain promotion to the EPL but if you were to transport the Aberdeen or hibs sides as they currently are into the championship then they would probably struggle to get above mid table. 

Malcolm didn't specify this in his hypothetical situation. In the extremely ulikely situatuon where SPFL premiership clubs were ever to be admitted to the championship, why would they be denied its resources. Its a nonsense argument so I'm out. I've no idea why I responded to malcolm, that was a mistake on my part because his posts tend to be designed to get a rise out of others 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watched the highlights of the Sunderland game and was impressed with Stewart seen a few highlights of games (no full games so couldn't pass a strong judgement on the guy) and he looks promising 

25 years old decent height seems to have some decent pace and presence as well as good movement off the ball 

As many said would be great if Sunderland could get promoted and he had a full season in the Championship and if was scoring goals and performing well for me at that point should certainly be seriously considered 

Fingers crossed can continue to progress for us 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

watched the highlights of the Sunderland game and was impressed with Stewart seen a few highlights of games (no full games so couldn't pass a strong judgement on the guy) and he looks promising 

25 years old decent height seems to have some decent pace and presence as well as good movement off the ball 

As many said would be great if Sunderland could get promoted and he had a full season in the Championship and if was scoring goals and performing well for me at that point should certainly be seriously considered 

Fingers crossed can continue to progress for us 

I would never write anyone off, especially since that 3rd striker position is very much up for grabs. But I'd file him under Jordan Rhodes until he is playing at a higher level.

Football is also psychological. If our opposition knows they have to defend against a league 1 player (Stewart) rather than a premier league player (Adams) then it'll automatically give them confidence. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I would never write anyone off, especially since that 3rd striker position is very much up for grabs. But I'd file him under Jordan Rhodes until he is playing at a higher level.

Football is also psychological. If our opposition knows they have to defend against a league 1 player (Stewart) rather than a premier league player (Adams) then it'll automatically give them confidence. 

Agreed...this is all very Shankland-esque. Leave the lad alone until he's doing it at a decent level

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Didn't do the top teams in the FA Cup much good yesterday, nearly all of whom lost to lower division teams!

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Liam Henderson just scored for empoli, hes starting most weeks for them and they are doing reasonably well in serie a. He can't be far off a call up if we get an injury to one or two of our midfielders. 

I’ve watched two Empoli games to see how he’s getting on this season and he does look quite tidy. We are well stocked in CM but like Hickey it’s hard to ignore him given the level he’s playing at 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’ve watched two Empoli games to see how he’s getting on this season and he does look quite tidy. We are well stocked in CM but like Hickey it’s hard to ignore him given the level he’s playing at 

given he is playing at that level I would be tempted to get him in to the squad ahead of the likes of Lewis Ferguson and see what he can do.

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeh hes unlucky that we have such great options at centre mid. 

I think hickey needs to be in the next squad, theres no way we can ignore a 19 year old performing well in serie a. Hickey could potentially be a long term successor to andy robertson. 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Malcolm didn't specify this in his hypothetical situation. In the extremely ulikely situatuon where SPFL premiership clubs were ever to be admitted to the championship, why would they be denied its resources. Its a nonsense argument so I'm out. I've no idea why I responded to malcolm, that was a mistake on my part because his posts tend to be designed to get a rise out of others 

I’m in agreement with you.  if our teams were actually in a British league with access to the money in the EPL it’s a totally different ball game and no doubt Celtic and rangers would thrive given the fan base. they would likely be mid to top EPL and competing far more successfully in Europe.

The original discussion was created when I suggested that the old firm are feeder clubs for lower EPL teams, which they are.  We are comparing these clubs in the leagues they are currently playing in.

the old firm stopped being big clubs outside of Scotland when tv money changed everything in the 90s.  The economics of football is now entirely different.

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Agreed...this is all very Shankland-esque. Leave the lad alone until he's doing it at a decent level

Totally. Both Shankland and Nisbet were prolific at a lower level and it hasn't translated into goals at the next level up. But, as with Stewart, they deserve time. The door should always be open. 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Didn't do the top teams in the FA Cup much good yesterday, nearly all of whom lost to lower division teams!

Well it can work both ways. The opposition could underestimate you as well

That is the beauty of football - you can have worse players, and even play worse on the day, but still win. That's part of the reason cup competitions can be so exciting. In a one off game, anyone can beat anyone.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Tierney on 33 mins in. Tavares chucking a strop after Arteta gave him pelters😂

McKenna has had a solid first half.

I caught the end of this game. I was about to comment on what an excellent long throw Tierney has..when the ref penalised him for a foul throw 😮 Not sure exactly what the offence was, but it's not something you see modern-day refs picking up on that often?

Still, Tierney's long throw hadn't really registered with me before. Not a bad skill to have?

Great to see McKenna contributing to a clean sheet for Nottingham Forest.

19 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I caught the end of this game. I was about to comment on what an excellent long throw Tierney has..when the ref penalised him for a foul throw 😮 Not sure exactly what the offence was, but it's not something you see modern-day refs picking up on that often?

Still, Tierney's long throw hadn't really registered with me before. Not a bad skill to have?

Stephen O'Donnell also has a decent long throw.

12 hours ago, mcguffin said:

offence was not having both feet on the ground whilst taking the throw…. Therefor you can get more distance.