Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 78 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

48 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive never been a huge fan but I think he is still holding on by the skin of his teeth. He has had several top performances for us in 2021 including in the last game.

Clarke seems to operate a system where he trys to keep a settled squad until it gets to the stage where the alernative is clearly better. Not just in terms of ability but also knowing the tactics etc. 

Thats why i think he might bring Hickey into the next squad along with OdDonnell then move on from him thereafter. 

Its really positive that we have the likes of Hickey and Patterson who are ready now imo and the Ralston, Ramsey and Ashby who look promising.

I see what you’re saying. O’Donnell has performed admirably for the national team considering his lack of ability and athleticism, however, he’s a very very average SPL player and there’s now arguably 4 players who are better than him in his position for us; Patterson, Ralston, Ramsay & Hickey. Ashby will probably not be far away from joining that list also. 

Come the March and June squads guys like O’Donnell, Gallagher & McBurnie could be consigned to memory. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I see what you’re saying. O’Donnell has performed admirably for the national team considering his lack of ability and athleticism, however, he’s a very very average SPL player and there’s now arguably 4 players who are better than him in his position for us; Patterson, Ralston, Ramsay & Hickey. Ashby will probably not be far away from joining that list also. 

Come the March and June squads guys like O’Donnell, Gallagher & McBurnie could be consigned to memory. 

Id say Gallagher and McBurnie are already there.

As I said, I think OdDonnell will make March but not beyond. If Patterson and Hickey are also in the squad then I see no harm in having a solid player who Clarke has been able to rely on in the squad. 

Ramsey will benefit from more game time at U21 level, Ralston is knocking on the door as he has kept his place in the Celtic team and playing well (although not sure if he was dropped for cup final or had a niggle etc). Will be interesting to see what Celtic do in the window. They bought a right back who has been covering at lb. They are rumoured to be buying a LB from Japan so logic would dictate that Ralstons game time might be limited going forward but time will tell.

I think Ashby is quite abit away. He has only started to be trusted in fringe games. A loan move at a decent standard could change that obviously.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

I know a few West Ham supporters, plus if you  Google him it is pretty positive from coaches/media and Twitter is mostly positive maybe the odd fan not sure, i even check out Owen Brown who analyses a lot of the Scottish youth gives good reports on him.

Hope the stats are wrong but I think he has a bit to go to be considered. 

Actual play that doesn't fit into certain stat can't be measured though so he might be better than he looks on paper. 

9 hours ago, borojock said:

right foot as well, appears to be very good on both foots so would be a valuable member of the squad as could cover both left back and right back 

Other day watched a few YT vids of his highlights looks decent but still a long way to go however awesome that he's playing regular first team football at a high level - got him in squad in place of O'Donnell 

Excellent technique.

It would be absurd if he was overlooked in favour of O'Donnell or Taylor simply because they've done well for Scotland in the past. The boy is playing every week in Serie A and playing well. Even the famously loyal Craig Brown would pick him!

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Excellent technique.

It would be absurd if he was overlooked in favour of O'Donnell or Taylor simply because they've done well for Scotland in the past. The boy is playing every week in Serie A and playing well. Even the famously loyal Craig Brown would pick him!

Craig Brown would still be picking Tom Boyd

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lovely finish by tierney, he's playing well for them and they look like an excellent team atm. 

Yep really good finish. He's a class act. Arsenal looking very good.

Was sorry to see Norwich pummelled again to be honest. On the plus side, McLean and Gilmour played 90 mins each and maybe were two of the better Norwich players on an afternoon to forget?

Tierney was man of the match, according to the BBC Sport site.

According to the same site Billy Gilmour scored highest amongst the Norwich team and Kenny McLean third highest (not that that's anything to be too pleased about, they only scored 5.49 and 4.38 respectively!).

Billy Gilmour was widely criticised for his performance against Aston Villa last week but apparently he had a high temperature before kickoff and only played because Norwich were short on numbers.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Eligable Angus Gunn was horrible for Norwich today. Should have saved / done much better with 3 of the 4 non pen goals today.

Looks very small in the goals

Supposedly, it was his first premiership start since the 9-0 loss he was in goal for. Please, keep with England Angus 🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierneys goal. 

Is that saka another right back. England have some amazing options there, no wonder Ashby has chosen us, England have a full team of brilliant right backs. 

Lovely!
Speaking of right backs, didn't I read a while back that Aaron Hickey was asking to be considered as a right back? He's obviously a fine left back, but  E.g. check this out at 02.51 where he appears to be playing at right back?  (Don't know the context, maybe it he was just filling in momentarily on the right? But elsewhere in the same video he's pinging passes and scoring goals with both feet).  Might be an option for Steve Clarke to consider in the future?

https://youtu.be/RQqIcaoqmFc?t=171