Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 381 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

50 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Souttar currently doing his best to play himself out of the squad in front of Clarke. Shankland has done OK so far. 

Souttar has never been better than average in terms of Scotland standard in my opinion.

Theres not alot of difference between him and some of our other centre backs like Hendry or Porteous however these guys currently have the jersey and imo Souttar hasnt done enough to displace them.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My midfield four would be Christie & Gilmour deep, McTom & McGinn further forward. Think Christie’s done enough to deserve it this season even if McGregor is fit. Maybe this is Clarke’s intention and playing the way he did in the last two friendlies was to throw out opposition of the scent….

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Good. Hopefully he won't pick up an injury sitting on the bench?

Probably end up getting sepsis fae a bench splinter 🥴

58 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Souttar has never been better than average in terms of Scotland standard in my opinion.

Theres not alot of difference between him and some of our other centre backs like Hendry or Porteous however these guys currently have the jersey and imo Souttar hasnt done enough to displace them.

He made two bad mistakes today. The first one was especially bad. He let himself get robbed by Vargas and a better team would have punished him.

I suppose it would be Souttar, Gordon and Shankland thar Clarke was watching. Gordon had no chance really with either goal and Shankland put a header into the side netting. He actually played quite deep the first half and put in an outstanding ball at one point.

22 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

He’s Welsh ?

Yeh I think he's eligible for us. Pretty sure someone on here said Clarke was interested in him. 

We are usually short on decent strikers so it's best to try and coax in as many prospects in as possible.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

He made two bad mistakes today. The first one was especially bad. He let himself get robbed by Vargas and a better team would have punished him.

I suppose it would be Souttar, Gordon and Shankland thar Clarke was watching. Gordon had no chance really with either goal and Shankland put a header into the side netting. He actually played quite deep the first half and put in an outstanding ball at one point.

Thats kind of my point. A few of our defenders are about the same level. Hendry and Porteous have a mistake or 2 in them but have more recently put in good performances for Scotland than Souttar has. If its a straight 2 out of the 3 then Souttar misses out for me.

Thought Shankland played pretty well today. Had no real service but did the other bits of the game.

Im a big fan of Gordon but thought he looked abit shakey today.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I think he's eligible for us. Pretty sure someone on here said Clarke was interested in him. 

We are usually short on decent strikers so it's best to try and coax in as many prospects in as possible.

Ahh didn’t know that he was eligible. Then again Wales are short on good strikers themselves so won’t be surprised if they call him up considering they’ve never been shy in calling up players that are playing at that level.

Definitely agree that the strikers position is still short on decent options. I’d still like to see Conway & Hardie given an opportunity to see if they can play at this level.

Edited by DesiScotsman

I didn't see the game, but read that Luis Binks played very well against Man Utd today. He's on loan at Coventry from Bologna and has vocalised his eligibility and interest in representing Scotland in the past. Anyone see the game and how he played?

44 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

I didn't see the game, but read that Luis Binks played very well against Man Utd today. He's on loan at Coventry from Bologna and has vocalised his eligibility and interest in representing Scotland in the past. Anyone see the game and how he played?

Thought he did really well when he came on, looked composed on the ball, good positional sense, made some important interventions, excellent tackle that wiped out Fernandes and left him greeting on the floor. If he can play like this week in, week out then he should be on Clarke's radar.

Edited by Hertsscot

33 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

I saw the last 10 minutes & the extra time. Binks has been on the bench more often than not as I think Coventry have quite a few promising young defenders.  Anyway today he got on after a hour & from what I saw he was excellent , made a couple of cracking tackles, won the late penalty & looks very good on the ball.  He hasn't done anywhere enough to be considered for this summer but he certainly could have a chance of being a Scotland player in that future especially as he is a central defender.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Thought he did really well when he came on, looked composed on the ball, good positional sense, made some important interventions, excellent tackle that wiped out Fernandes and left him greeting on the floor. If he can play like this week in, week out then he should be on Clarke's radar.

Definitely agree , surely Clarke is aware of his apparent desire to play for us. He is still a Bologna player so  let's see where he ends up next season. Once/ if he is starting regularly in Italy or championship level in England he could be deserving of a call up.

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Christie supposedly, yet again, playing well in the deeper role (even with Bournemouth losing)....

I’m a bit annoyed that Clarke didn’t look at him in that position over the recent friendlies. 
Wont learn anything against Gibraltar and next to nothing against Finland even if he does play him deeper there. 

10 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Definitely agree , surely Clarke is aware of his apparent desire to play for us. He is still a Bologna player so  let's see where he ends up next season. Once/ if he is starting regularly in Italy or championship level in England he could be deserving of a call up.

I asked a Coventry fan page how he was getting on and they said he'd been unlucky not to play more and they were hoping he'll sign permanently.
Fingers crossed he's getting regular first team next season as the likes of Hanley & Cooper will surely retire from international duty soon.

15 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeah you're correct . Taylor is eligible for us through a grandmother.  He's played 3 times for Wales under 21s but not since November 2021 

23 hours ago, syecosse said:

Born in England but has always represented us at different age groups u17 and u19. 

Well he’s obviously eligible for Engerland but read somewhere Darren Fletcher has had an influence on his career but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing with what’s going on with his 2 Sons ?? 
I know Man Utd had CB issues yesterday but to name him on the bench, the young lad would have been made up.
Apparently he has all the attributes to make it in the game, imo he needs to be brought into the Euro Squad (not as a player) but for the experience and let him get a taster…… 

Clarke did similar prior to Norway match last summer with Conway, Bowat and a.n.other ( can’t remember without checking ) For sure Wales, N.Ireland and Ireland would have introduced this lad into their set-up by now, but it’s not the Scotland way until you’ve progressed through the Under stages…… 

3 hours ago, broraboy said:

Well he’s obviously eligible for Engerland but read somewhere Darren Fletcher has had an influence on his career but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing with what’s going on with his 2 Sons ?? 
I know Man Utd had CB issues yesterday but to name him on the bench, the young lad would have been made up.
Apparently he has all the attributes to make it in the game, imo he needs to be brought into the Euro Squad (not as a player) but for the experience and let him get a taster…… 

Clarke did similar prior to Norway match last summer with Conway, Bowat and a.n.other ( can’t remember without checking ) For sure Wales, N.Ireland and Ireland would have introduced this lad into their set-up by now, but it’s not the Scotland way until you’ve progressed through the Under stages…… 

It was Conway, King and Fiorini who trained with the senior squad. It’s a shame of those three that Conway is the only one to go on and have a decent season minutes/performance wise.

Very early to consider someone like Jackson when there’s King, Bowat, Morrison, Mullen and Kerr Smith ahead of him in the age groups

9 hours ago, csinclair said:

It was Conway, King and Fiorini who trained with the senior squad. It’s a shame of those three that Conway is the only one to go on and have a decent season minutes/performance wise.

Very early to consider someone like Jackson when there’s King, Bowat, Morrison, Mullen and Kerr Smith ahead of him in the age groups

Do you know much about those centre halves, who's more likely to make it? Morrison has played quite regularly for Wigan, so I assume he's been doing well. I noticed that Mullen hasn't played regularly for Inverness but don't know why.