Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 338 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

4 hours ago, broraboy said:

Pretty much concur with everything thing you say csinclair 👌

A 23 man squad will leave several players disappointed, which is understandable and makes S.Clarkes job a tricky one 

Conway is a great prospect, although he was taken along last June to the Spain training camp prior to the Norway away + Georgia home games - there was other youth players invited along but without checking it escapes me!?! 

As for Brown, I think his performance against Norway let him down and I think he’ll know that as well - I think it’s Brown who ultimately that doesn’t make that 23 man squad at present.

At the moment I’d have Shankland making that 23 man squad 

H.Barnes if and it’s a big if, starts playing by end of January / beginning of February then I think he makes the squad in March friendlies 

There is a link I’ve posted below with Harvey Barnes and what he can potentially deliver, on YouTube and it’s called

( Harvey Barnes BEST goals 🚀 ) not sure if link below will work but for those of Us that after interested then have a quick view…….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiCq6mY_82DAxVOiv0HHUJaCWAQtwJ6BAgOEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DANqQT-Z3ZAs&usg=AOvVaw1hxU116oR5BBevfeyWxlqb&opi=89978449

Plenty of good finishes with both feet. He likes to drift in from the left but you do wonder if he could do a job up front.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, broraboy said:

Pretty much concur with everything thing you say csinclair 👌

A 23 man squad will leave several players disappointed, which is understandable and makes S.Clarkes job a tricky one 

Conway is a great prospect, although he was taken along last June to the Spain training camp prior to the Norway away + Georgia home games - there was other youth players invited along but without checking it escapes me!?! 

As for Brown, I think his performance against Norway let him down and I think he’ll know that as well - I think it’s Brown who ultimately that doesn’t make that 23 man squad at present.

At the moment I’d have Shankland making that 23 man squad 

H.Barnes if and it’s a big if, starts playing by end of January / beginning of February then I think he makes the squad in March friendlies 

There is a link I’ve posted below with Harvey Barnes and what he can potentially deliver, on YouTube and it’s called

( Harvey Barnes BEST goals 🚀 ) not sure if link below will work but for those of Us that after interested then have a quick view…….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiCq6mY_82DAxVOiv0HHUJaCWAQtwJ6BAgOEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DANqQT-Z3ZAs&usg=AOvVaw1hxU116oR5BBevfeyWxlqb&opi=89978449

It was Conway, Leon King and Lewis Fiorini who joined the senior team training camp

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Liam Morrison starting in the FA Cup tonight v Man Utd, good chance to get a look at him & gauge where he’s at.

Scott McTominay starting for Man Utd also. 

He'd barely given Rushford a sniff all night. Very assured for 20 years old.

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'd barely given Rushford a sniff all night. Very assured for 20 years old.

Yep, very impressed. Watching him tonight you’d not be worried if he got a call up soon, albeit be better if he was playing at a higher level though.

Can use the ball well too & is physical too, well done to him. 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep, very impressed. Watching him tonight you’d not be worried if he got a call up soon, albeit be better if he was playing at a higher level though.

Morrison seems to have had a much more successful loan spell than Barry Hepburn at Queen's Park. I think Hepburn is the younger of the two Munich loaners but he doesn't seem to be a regular starter.

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Morrison seems to have had a much more successful loan spell than Barry Hepburn at Queen's Park. I think Hepburn is the younger of the two Munich loaners but he doesn't seem to be a regular starter.

Hepburn won't cut it i don't think, certainly not in Germany. 

Morrison has had his contract extended by Bayern, unfortunately no chance of that happening for Hepburn.

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think he'll be loaned out in Germany next season. Certainly be at a higher level that League 1. 

Be good to see in him in the Scotland squad whilst Clarke is boss, both him and Morrison from Saltcoats, with Billy Gilmour next door in Ardrossan. Funny old game!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Hackneys goal.

I know he's switched back to England but I still think theres a massive chance he plays for us.

If there was injuries to McLean and gilmour he would surely be in line for a call up to the euro squad. Would be a big decision for him to make as a major tournament is a big incentive for a player who might never make one with England.

Not really a Scottish player in action but it looks like there are a lot of unhappy players in the Saudi league who want to leave. Jordan Henderson apparently can't stand the heat (literally) and the lack of crowds.  I wonder if Hendry will stay in the long term. I feel like that league will eventually implode.

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Not really a Scottish player in action but it looks like there are a lot of unhappy players in the Saudi league who want to leave. Jordan Henderson apparently can't stand the heat (literally) and the lack of crowds.  I wonder if Hendry will stay in the long term. I feel like that league will eventually implode.

Going to cost him 3million in tax apparently if he goes back to England 

6 hours ago, JECK said:

Going to cost him 3million in tax apparently if he goes back to England 

Was he not earning like 700k a week or something daft? 3 mil is a drop in the ocean 😂

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hackneys goal.

I know he's switched back to England but I still think theres a massive chance he plays for us.

If there was injuries to McLean and gilmour he would surely be in line for a call up to the euro squad. Would be a big decision for him to make as a major tournament is a big incentive for a player who might never make one with England.

The term  REVOLVING DOOR  comes to mind.No thanks.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

It is purely down to Clarke having found a winning formula and Dykes and Adams have been part of that. They have been part of a team that has gone on lengthy winning streaks that has seen us promoted in the Nations League and qualify for Euro 24. It is like that old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Shankland's only hope of usurping Dykes and Adams is if he were to get a move to an EPL club and carry on his goalscoring feats or doing the same after a move to Rangers may help a little.

Why on earth would it help Shankland’s chances of game time if he signed for Rangers*? He’s already scoring freely in the exact same league, for a team with far less money and less talented players. If he signed for Rangers* (which isn’t happening, they can’t afford him) then he would score more goals, but he’d be the same player in the same league.

Anyone who has watched Shankland recently knows that he has all the attributes of a top striker except pace. His movement, positioning and anticipation are top class, and he can finish with both feet and with his head. He’s far more than just a goalscorer. Yes, if he had pace then he’d be at a bigger club earning more money. But his other attributes make up for him not being pacy.

4 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

Why on earth would it help Shankland’s chances of game time if he signed for Rangers*? He’s already scoring freely in the exact same league, for a team with far less money and less talented players. If he signed for Rangers* (which isn’t happening, they can’t afford him) then he would score more goals, but he’d be the same player in the same league.

Anyone who has watched Shankland recently knows that he has all the attributes of a top striker except pace. His movement, positioning and anticipation are top class, and he can finish with both feet and with his head. He’s far more than just a goalscorer. Yes, if he had pace then he’d be at a bigger club earning more money. But his other attributes make up for him not being pacy.

I am speaking purely from where things stand now. Despite an incredible scoring run of form he currently sits in perhaps fifth in line of strikers given that Christie gets selected as a striker and Brown is seen as number three. I say that as Brown has clearly been given the more chances in recent matches such as V France and V Norway despite Shankland having scored V Georgia. that suggests something needs to change for him to real rattle Clarke's cage and force himself further up the pecking order.

He is already in rich scoring form so he cannot do any more on that front. A move to the EPL would surely help if he were to continue scoring as it is at another level. Very true Rangers move is not another level as such but they are still in the Europa League so that is on another level being it is the latter stages so takibg his scoring form into those matches too may help.

For the record I'd have him  in the squad for the Euros no problem as things stand even if he remains at Hearts but I am not Steve Clarke. I was merely posting on the hope he does force his way into Clarke's plans and for that reason, oddly for some reason, it seems something needs to change for Shanklandto appeal more to Clarke.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am speaking purely from where things stand now. Despite an incredible scoring run of form he currently sits in perhaps fifth in line of strikers given that Christie gets selected as a striker and Brown is seen as number three. I say that as Brown has clearly been given the more chances in recent matches such as V France and V Norway despite Shankland having scored V Georgia. that suggests something needs to change for him to real rattle Clarke's cage and force himself further up the pecking order.

He is already in rich scoring form so he cannot do any more on that front. A move to the EPL would surely help if he were to continue scoring as it is at another level. Very true Rangers move is not another level as such but they are still in the Europa League so that is on another level being it is the latter stages so takibg his scoring form into those matches too may help.

For the record I'd have him  in the squad for the Euros no problem as things stand even if he remains at Hearts but I am not Steve Clarke. I was merely posting on the hope he does force his way into Clarke's plans and for that reason, oddly for some reason, it seems something needs to change for Shanklandto appeal more to Clarke.

Shanklands ahead of Brown. Shankland saved us v Georgia and Brown, like Greg Taylor, embarrassed himself vs Norway.

Both Taylor & Brown played their way out of contention for the Euros squad based on that game. 

In an interview this week Clarke said that more important than his own loyalty to players would be their performances in games for Scotland when it comes to picking his squad for the Euros

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Shanklands ahead of Brown. Shankland saved us v Georgia and Brown, like Greg Taylor, embarrassed himself vs Norway.

Both Taylor & Brown played their way out of contention for the Euros squad based on that game. 

In an interview this week Clarke said that more important than his own loyalty to players would be their performances in games for Scotland when it comes to picking his squad for the Euros

Not going by our very last game played. Brown played V Norway and Shankland did not despite scoring in the previous match V Georgia. That may have changed but we will not know until the friendlies come around. Brown has been part of the set-up perhaps two or three years less than Shankland yet has more caps. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

We get it, you don't like Taylor, I admire how you manage to get him into a response about Shankland!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We get it, you don't like Taylor, I admire how you manage to get him into a response about Shankland!

Clearly if Tierney + Robertson are both fit and healthy - then Taylor isn’t selected 

19 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Clearly if Tierney + Robertson are both fit and healthy - then Taylor isn’t selected 

i've not seen anyone even dare to suggest otherwise?

Same way if Gordon/Gunn are fit, then Clark is nowhere near the team as he's a massive downgrade and Kelly is nowhere near the squad, as he's shite. 

Folk were/are falling over themselves for Josh Doig to get into the squad not long ago and he can't get a regular game for this club. At least Taylor is playing every week. He was poor against Norway, as were quite a few of the starting 11.  Norway put everything down his side for a reason. 

Npt seen anyone say Taylor should be in the 23, he will only be if Tierney or Robertson are injured. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Che Adams scores again and starts for S.Armstrong + R.Fraser 

Che Adams had a good few weeks with goals and playing time, possibly he won’t be moving anywhere with Southampton now pushing for automatic promotion 

Just now, scotlad said:

Goal for Ryan Fraser. The boy's on fire at the moment!

Interesting to see if he is called up in March. Good that him, Adams and Armstrong are playing alongside each other. Liam Palmer and Barry Bannon apparently were quaking in their boots. 

Just now, Burj_Alba said:

Interesting to see if he is called up in March. Good that him, Adams and Armstrong are playing alongside each other. Liam Palmer and Barry Bannon apparently were quaking in their boots. 

He's certainly good enough to be in the squad, IMO, but I guess it depends how pissed off Clarke is with him (it's hard to tell with Clarke, as he usually looks pissed off at the best of times anyway 😂)