Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 308 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McBurnie shouldnt be back near the Scotland squad unless he hits a purple patch for his club and earns it.

He had ample opportunities to prove himself for Scotland regardless of the quality of our team or opposition.

His lack of goals for us doesnt concern me greatly. But his attitude, workrate and body language when selected does.

Dykes and Adams have earned their place in the squad.

Shankland is the one with a strong claim for the 3rd spot right now.

Nisbet and Brown still have opportunity to impress. McBurnie should be looking to get ahead of those 2 before Clarke will be considering him.

The hidden factor for McBurnie not coming into the squad might be that his exclusion for the last Euros squad probably prompted some conversations for them just to draw a line under it. There have been occasions where he has been in far better form than most/all of our forwards and hasn't had a look in, especially at times when we clearly needed some depth in that position.

Not to say he wouldn't be included under future managers or when our squad starts to transition again. Similar to Steven Fletcher who had basically 2 separate international careers either side of being excluded for criticizing Levein.

28 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

The hidden factor for McBurnie not coming into the squad might be that his exclusion for the last Euros squad probably prompted some conversations for them just to draw a line under it. There have been occasions where he has been in far better form than most/all of our forwards and hasn't had a look in, especially at times when we clearly needed some depth in that position.

Not to say he wouldn't be included under future managers or when our squad starts to transition again. Similar to Steven Fletcher who had basically 2 separate international careers either side of being excluded for criticizing Levein.

He was injured for the last Euros 

14 hours ago, thesaint said:

I certainly can't remember McBurnie missing many decent chances or even many half chances.The team was struggling to provide chances for the forwards in most of the games he appeared in.It took bottle to take that penalty against Serbia with all the abuse he was receiving.Apart from a personal dislike of McBurnie there can be no reason if he is playing well in the premier league for Sheffield.Utd that he shouldn't be recalled.If you didn't play footballers for stupid things they have done off the field then you would be discounting plenty of them from being selected. As for that bit of banter he had with Fleck.Just daft banter.He has been commited to playing for Scotland at under 19,under 21 and full team.Even going on that daft South American tour when many dodged it.More commited to Scotland than those characters that plenty are shouting for to be included.Not saying he should be included if he doesn't score a good few goals before the euros but if he does then he has to come into the equation at least.

Well said👌

44 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Well said👌

Cheers. Beginning to think i was going to have to change my forum name to John the baptist... A voice in the wilderness. Just can't understand the hatred for a guy who is so commited to the Scotland cause. Remember reading about McBurnie wearing his Scotland shirt to school in Leeds when england were playing in euros and world cup matches. Believe me in Leeds that is commitment. Loved that. Really hope he can keep putting in good performances at Sheffield. Utd and give Steve Clarke plenty to think about. 😄😎😄

44 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Cheers. Beginning to think i was going to have to change my forum name to John the baptist... A voice in the wilderness. Just can't understand the hatred for a guy who is so commited to the Scotland cause. Remember reading about McBurnie wearing his Scotland shirt to school in Leeds when england were playing in euros and world cup matches. Believe me in Leeds that is commitment. Loved that. Really hope he can keep putting in good performances at Sheffield. Utd and give Steve Clarke plenty to think about. 😄😎😄

Admire your belief in Mc Burnie but I think its misplaced. 

In my time watching Scotland seldom have I seen as inept a striker as Mc Burnie. Unintelligent, lazy , indifferent and fundamentally skill deficient. Best example check out Kazakhstan away when Mc Burnie performed like a competition winner--- and a poor one at that!!

Imho Mc Burnie is the perfect example of the absurdity of the English transfer system where below average players are traded for millions.

That he wore Scotland gear in Leeds amounts to the square root of hee haw.

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

We shouldn't rule any striker out except for Oliver Burke - he's proved under a plethora of mangers that he lacks any tactical nous whatsoever. Pace is an asset but Doak can provide that.

The fact his agent still gets him jobs playing at a high level of professional football is amazing

2 hours ago, marinello said:

In my time watching Scotland seldom have I seen as inept a striker as Mc Burnie. Unintelligent, lazy , indifferent and fundamentally skill deficient. Best example check out Kazakhstan away when Mc Burnie performed like a competition winner--- and a poor one at that!!

Imho Mc Burnie is the perfect example of the absurdity of the English transfer system where below average players are traded for millions.

I think what some people are missing out here is just how bad our other forwards are. I mentioned  that Dykes and Adam haven't scored a goal between them over their combined last 26 games.

Were do you draw the line.

If Dykes becomes a bit part player at a relegated QPR side, if Adam cant get a game at Southampton. Jacob Brown isn't even an out and out striker.

That leaves us Shankland who I can't have until he plays at a decent level.

Big hope is probably Ross Stewart if he can get into the Southampton team or Tommy Conway.

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think what some people are missing out here is just how bad our other forwards are. I mentioned  that Dykes and Adam haven't scored a goal between them over their combined last 26 games.

Were do you draw the line.

If Dykes becomes a bit part player at a relegated QPR side, if Adam cant get a game at Southampton. Jacob Brown isn't even an out and out striker.

That leaves us Shankland who I can't have until he plays at a decent level.

Big hope is probably Ross Stewart if he can get into the Southampton team or Tommy Conway.

Shankland deserves a decent shot at being third choice. I was a bit pissed off he never got a proper chance in the last 2 games. 

Our striking options are poor but dykes and Adams have done enough to make themselves first and second choice.

2 hours ago, marinello said:

Not saying the fact he wore a Scotland top in Leeds should get him in the team. Only showing that his commitment to Scotland has been lifelong and not just a convenience as it has been to certain others. I believe if he scores goals in the premier league he should be in the mix. Why would he not be?. Only reason then would be a personal dislike of the guy. Absolute stupidity. 

19 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Not saying the fact he wore a Scotland top in Leeds should get him in the team. Only showing that his commitment to Scotland has been lifelong and not just a convenience as it has been to certain others. I believe if he scores goals in the premier league he should be in the mix. Why would he not be?. Only reason then would be a personal dislike of the guy. Absolute stupidity. 

If Mc Burnie transforms himself into a regular premier league goalscorer then yes he should be considered. On that we are agreed.

The issue is will he? Evidence suggests no.

15 minutes ago, marinello said:

If Mc Burnie transforms himself into a regular premier league goalscorer then yes he should be considered. On that we are agreed.

That's fair enough. I am basing it on him having a good season for his club. Surely if he does nobody could deny him being considered. Only common sense. 

34 minutes ago, thesaint said:

That's fair enough. I am basing it on him having a good season for his club. Surely if he does nobody could deny him being considered. Only common sense. 

You're right, of course you are...people on here have 2 things against him 

A)he's made some daft decisions and behaved poorly in his personal life

B)he hasn't played particularly well when called up previously, when we were absolute junk

Our striking options are so grim, that for me, anyone that plays well this season should be in contention 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Shankland deserves a decent shot at being third choice. I was a bit pissed off he never got a proper chance in the last 2 games. 

Our striking options are poor but dykes and Adams have done enough to make themselves first and second choice.

So no matter what they do or don't do between now and June their seats on the plane are safe?

40 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So no matter what they do or don't do between now and June their seats on the plane are safe?

Pretty much yes. I think dykes and Adams are pretty much guaranteed to be going to the euros no matter how poorly they play for their clubs this season.

Mcburnie can still get himself that 3rd or 4th striker spot but it's unlikely unless he goes on a good run of scoring. 

I think shankland and brown will be the other strikers.

5 hours ago, marinello said:

What number would you say was regular for a team likely to get relegated? Bearing in mind the golden boot ususually only gets around 22 for the top sides.

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Adams hasn't scored since August and dykea hasn't scored since December. Both have been called up yo every scotland squad since the start of the football season.

Why would you think those two won't be picked for the Scotland euro 24 squad?

Lets just look at the important goals Dykes has scored for us:-

Goal in the last four minutes away to Faroe Islands to give us a much-needed win.

Goal in the dying minutes of the match against Norway in Oslo that triggered our best comeback wins in decades.

Equaliser in crunch match at home to Israel.

Pretty sure there are lots more too lets not forget his set-up for McLean's winner in Oslo and other notable link-up play.

Adams too has made important contributions such as:-

Second and clinching goal at home to Denmark that sealed our play-off spot.

Also won that crucial penalty away to Austria to give us vitally important win.

Again pretty sure he has contributed lots more.

Now the big question is why would you drop them for either untried or tried and failed options?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets just look at the important goals Dykes has scored for us:-

Goal in the last four minutes away to Faroe Islands to give us a much-needed win.

Goal in the dying minutes of the match against Norway in Oslo that triggered our best comeback wins in decades.

Equaliser in crunch match at home to Israel.

Pretty sure there are lots more too lets not forget his set-up for McLean's winner in Oslo and other notable link-up play.

Adams too has made important contributions such as:-

Second and clinching goal at home to Denmark that sealed our play-off spot.

Also won that crucial penalty away to Austria to give us vitally important win.

Again pretty sure he has contributed lots more.

Now the big question is why would you drop them for either untried or tried and failed options?

Not to be picky but the Denmark win only confirmed that we had a home playoff. We'd already sealed the playoff itself before the game. Just sayin'