Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 289 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

In what way have nisbet and shankland stepped up to international level? 

Both have hardly played and neither have exactly done amazing things when they did. 

Thats probably why Gunn hasn't made it to a top level team, he has some absolute shocking games. 

Has some brilliant ones too and hopefully that is what happens when it matters for us. 

Good to see Cooper starting again and putting in solid performance. 

Saw Adams assist yesterday and thought it was a bit special. 

On 9/22/2023 at 1:57 PM, 86glebestreet said:

Klopp was saying that the team never gave him enough of the ball 

Klopp was possibly just being a good manager and not being too publicly critical of a young player. Klopp could have kept him on but subbed him after an hour for a more experienced player, which I think says something.

I wouldn't have said Doak had a bad game but often when he did get the ball he was dispossessed by the full-back - and it wasn't exactly Bayern Munich or Real Madrid he was playing, it was a team who finished third in the Austrian league last season.

He's still only a kid though and he will get better but people wanting him called up to the senior squad next month might be left disappointed, because based on Thursday I can't see him troubling the defences of Spain or France too much.

I watched Hickey vs Everton yesterday and wasn’t too impressed. He didn’t do anything wrong but he didn’t offer anything going forward and if anything took the impetus out of Brentford attacks when he was in possession. 
Again I’ve no idea what instructions he was given from the manager, he may well have been told to play conservatively. 
Id like to see him tried as a defensive midfielder, I think he may well be better suited to that role. Put him in beside Gilmour and let him do the grafting in midfield.

Edited by Scot1

I agree with Scot1, Hickey would be great in holding midfield. For me McGregor is good on the ball, but lax in marking and tracking. When the opposition have the ball I am always watching our shape and tightness in marking, and McGregor is invariably in acres of space! Hickey would really tighten things up, allowing us to better implement a high press. Another who could perform the holding midfield role is Souttar.

An additional advantage to Hickey in midfield is making space for Patterson, offering a much more potent attacking threat. Currently, until Doak arrives, as compared to Robertson and Tierney on the left, there is not much attack on the right.

I also agree with the posters who would like to see more than cameo appearances from Ferguson. He operates mostly in McGinn’s position, and we are lucky to have him in case (heaven forbid) anything happens to McGinn. I like both Armstrong and McLean, but Ferguson is the future.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty hard to get into a midfield that allready has four top half standard EPL players. 

Really annoys me when Armstrong comes of the bench these days ahead oh him.

Really annoys me that Armstrong fucked the game against England. Never forget

34 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

I agree with Scot1, Hickey would be great in holding midfield. For me McGregor is good on the ball, but lax in marking and tracking. When the opposition have the ball I am always watching our shape and tightness in marking, and McGregor is invariably in acres of space! Hickey would really tighten things up, allowing us to better implement a high press. Another who could perform the holding midfield role is Souttar.

An additional advantage to Hickey in midfield is making space for Patterson, offering a much more potent attacking threat. Currently, until Doak arrives, as compared to Robertson and Tierney on the left, there is not much attack on the right.

I also agree with the posters who would like to see more than cameo appearances from Ferguson. He operates mostly in McGinn’s position, and we are lucky to have him in case (heaven forbid) anything happens to McGinn. I like both Armstrong and McLean, but Ferguson is the future.

Hickey has lots of good attributes, he’s 2 footed, he is very good in possession, he rarely loses possession, he’s strong and aggressive in the tackle, he’s mobile, hard working. In my opinion he’s just the type of player you want beside a playmaker like Gilmour. He’s a good fullback but he’s not the most effective in attack. I think he’d be worth trying in midfield alongside Gilmour. Could be a nice partnership. 
And with the emergence of Doak and imminent inclusion into the squad, you probably need to switch to a back 4 to incorporate him into the first 11. That would mean a formation of 4/3/3 or 4/2/3/1. I’d think 4/3/3 would suit the squad better. 
If so you’d probably have a midfield 3 of 

Gilmour.   McTominay    
                     Hickey 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty hard to get into a midfield that allready has four top half standard EPL players. 

Really annoys me when Armstrong comes of the bench these days ahead oh him.

I'm not impressed by McGregor's form so far this season. Not sure its even lower half EPL quality, let alone top half. I'd prefer Ferguson in his place and then we've got a team to keep going for 2026 world cup. Can't see Clarke ditching Mcgregor any time soon though. 

39 minutes ago, mcnish said:

I'm not impressed by McGregor's form so far this season. Not sure its even lower half EPL quality, let alone top half. I'd prefer Ferguson in his place and then we've got a team to keep going for 2026 world cup. Can't see Clarke ditching Mcgregor any time soon though. 

They are different types of midfielder. Also McGregors been excellent for Scotland since Clarke took charge. 

Saying that I think fergie deserves a chance for sure. Disappointed that he's not been given a chance as he turns up every time and he's gunna be needed in the next few years.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Aye agreed on Armstrong

Well Armstrong has done well in the epl for a few seasons now. We have strength in midfield but a guy who does well in the epl will pretty much always get game time for us regardless of position.

He's also had some decent games for us, pretty sure he pulled us out of a hole against Armenia or someone like that. 

Overall he's good back up to have but Ferguson is the future and I would like him to get some more chances.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well Armstrong has done well in the epl for a few seasons now. We have strength in midfield but a guy who does well in the epl will pretty much always get game time for us regardless of position.

He's also had some decent games for us, pretty sure he pulled us out of a hole against Armenia or someone like that. 

Yes Armenia away. They scored early to go 1-0 up then he scored two first half goals to give us a half-time lead. We went on to win 4-1.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Overall he's good back up to have but Ferguson is the future and I would like him to get some more chances.

I wouldn't say that being a bit part player for a side that got relegated is much to be impressed by. 

A man of the match performance against a team as poor as Armenia is something but at the end of the day someone had to be awarded the honour and it could have been anyone on their day. 

He is well into the twilight of his career and surely it is time to move on with some of the newer options available. He is the easiest option to upgrade. 

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wouldn't say that being a bit part player for a side that got relegated is much to be impressed by. 

A man of the match performance against a team as poor as Armenia is something but at the end of the day someone had to be awarded the honour and it could have been anyone on their day. 

He is well into the twilight of his career and surely it is time to move on with some of the newer options available. He is the easiest option to upgrade. 

Not sure he was a bit part player. He went through plenty of spells where he was a first team regular. 

Not sure he's into the twilight of his career. Probably has a good 4 or 5 years left, maybe more. If he chooses to keep turning up for squads even though he's not a starter then he should get credit for that.

A few injuries and we might need him. He is a decent player on his day. It's really just his age and the fact he dropped down to the championship which is why ppl are keen on ditching him. 

Our fans have a habit of remembering a players errors and forever hokding that against them as if the players deliberately made the errors. Armstrong gets it for that error V England and Gary McAllister before him suffered the same for missing that penalty against England.

It must be remembered that Armstrong is not keeping Ferguson out of the team or even the squad. It is not his fault Clarke turns to him over Ferguson either. Perhaps Clarke just prfers his experience and has confidence he won't let him down as has been the case during his spell as manager.d

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure he was a bit part player. He went through plenty of spells where he was a first team regular. 

Not sure he's into the twilight of his career. Probably has a good 4 or 5 years left, maybe more. If he chooses to keep turning up for squads even though he's not a starter then he should get credit for that.

A few injuries and we might need him. He is a decent player on his day. It's really just his age and the fact he dropped down to the championship which is why ppl are keen on ditching him. 

He started 15 or 16 games in each of the last two seasons but did come on as a substitute in quite a few games, that to me is a bit part player. And it was only with Southampton. 

People saying players can carry on playing at a high level into their mid 30s is something that i just don't see unless they were exceptional in their mid 20. 

Might need him incase of injuries because of his experience? The only way to avoid this is to let players like Ferguson gain experience. He is at this stage in his career a better player than Armstrong. 

He is playing in the championship now for a reason. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He started 15 or 16 games in each of the last two seasons but did come on as a substitute in quite a few games, that to me is a bit part player. And it was only with Southampton. 

People saying players can carry on playing at a high level into their mid 30s is something that i just don't see unless they were exceptional in their mid 20. 

Might need him incase of injuries because of his experience? The only way to avoid this is to let players like Ferguson gain experience. He is at this stage in his career a better player than Armstrong. 

He is playing in the championship now for a reason. 

Might be a wild shout but i'll trust the managers judgement on this one. 

Armstrong has been a good player for us and if the manager thinks he's a better option currently than Ferguson then it'll do me. 

Ferguson will get his chance, he's had 5 or 6 caps already, he;'ll get plenty more. 

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might be a wild shout but i'll trust the managers judgement on this one. 

Armstrong has been a good player for us and if the manager thinks he's a better option currently than Ferguson then it'll do me. 

Ferguson will get his chance, he's had 5 or 6 caps already, he;'ll get plenty more. 

Agree about Clarke but he will come round to my way of thinking sooner rather than later.