Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 287 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I like to see the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts etc do well in Europe so tend to watch them but if Doak is in from the start i'll be watching Liverpool. 

I do too, but still, it's not great that Aberdeen will be starting their game today with only one more Scot than Liverpool are starting with 😁

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, broraboy said:

Other than bbc sport live text, how’s Ben Doak playing ?? 

Just been subbed off. Won a couple of free-kicks and had one good run into the box but otherwise didn't really have much impact. That said, the team generally wasn't playing all that well.

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

I thought he put a couple of good balls across face of goal but no one there to tap them in , 

Aye, he looks dangerous as fk when he gets the ball, they just didn't feed him enough! he's good enough for the national team, easy. 

Could we actually see Rangers playing with a youth who knows, but see Beale talking in a press conference saying 16 year old Bailey Rice is ready for the madhouse, a few appearances so far, long term deal signed, lots of clubs wanted him, looked at the squad last night 9 Scots on the bench a few youngsters but apparently some rue means Rice cannot be in squad yet in Europe. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Could we actually see Rangers playing with a youth who knows, but see Beale talking in a press conference saying 16 year old Bailey Rice is ready for the madhouse, a few appearances so far, long term deal signed, lots of clubs wanted him, looked at the squad last night 9 Scots on the bench a few youngsters but apparently some rue means Rice cannot be in squad yet in Europe. 

The reason there are so many young Scots on the bench in Europe is because Rangers have very few home grown and club trained players therefore it significantly reduces the number of normal players that they can list in their European squad. All of the young Scots you see dont need to be included in the squad so are effectively free and are very much filling out the bench.

Id wager that none get any game time in these games.

Rice looks like a great talent but also remember that Leon King was talked about as the next majorly talented player to come through the academy and he has been shunted because he had a few iffy performances in a makeshift defence, one of which was against Liverpool. Instead of trusting him and providing a platform for him to fulfil his potential they resigned a 35 year old Balagoun who was never 1st team standard even when he was younger.

Given their track record Rice will hang about Ibrox for another few years, getting very limited game time, waiting for his chance, having to wait even more even when he has played well and eventually be deemed not Rangers standard. Mainly because he wasnt given the gametime to develop.

See Patterson, Lowry, Devine and King for the template.

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

Klopp was saying that the team never gave him enough of the ball 

From what I gather, Klopp is a very hands on manager, and is heavily involved in training. He's certainly not going to write Doak off after one performance that isn't electric. Especially after all his other jaw dropping performances. Plus, he must be frightening in training if he is getting starts for giants like Liverpool at 17.

Also, Doak appears to be quite self-aware, based on his interviews and comments. He seems to be miles ahead of virtually every 17 year old we've ever witnessed in terms of mental strength, as well as talent.

Edited by Tartan blood

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

Great to hear , let's hope that high praise leads to a few at the very least appearances from your bench this side of Christmas. If it does & he looks the part you never know who could be starting games regularly at the the age of 17.

Was great to see Doak start at his age. He has bags of talent but obviously he has things to work on. 

It will take a while for his teamates to trust him with the ball and also to recognise what he is going to do and make the runs that will turn some of his good work into assists.

For example, twice last night he squared up the full back, went on the outside and drilled the ball across the face of the goal. If Diaz starts running as soon as he see's Doak squaring up the defender then he has 2 tap ins and Doaks performance is being hailed. 

If we had a decent U21 coach id like to get him gametime in the U21s but as things stand id call him up to the main squad but probably just for training experience.

On a side note, why the youth sides dont play the same system as the full squad I have no idea. We basically have 2 formations. These should be the template for all the youth sides. All coaching should be taken from the A sides playbook in terms of phases of play etc. Id be all for getting rid of managers at these levels and just employing really good coaches like Ian Cathro.

10 hours ago, syecosse said:

9 Scots on the bench & 0 Scots starting. 1 Scot coming off the bench. Shite

20 minutes ago, todd said:

This.  Deplorable cunts with zero identity 

Celtic 2 Scottish starting, 4 on the bench so I take it their a deplorable club without identity also🤔

The reason the Scots are on the bench at both clubs is pretty simple really , they either aren't ready, aren't in form ( Ryan Jack maybe) or the most logical reason they simple aren't good enough!

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Celtic 2 Scottish starting, 4 on the bench so I take it their a deplorable club without identity also🤔

The reason the Scots are on the bench at both clubs is pretty simple really , they either aren't ready, aren't in form ( Ryan Jack maybe) or the most logical reason they simple aren't good enough!

I'll sum up the Old Firm.

In the last few years they had the chance to sign:-

John McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Scott McKenna

Ryan Fraser

And made no move to sign them. Why? They prefer horse shit bargain basement foreign tripe.

6 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

True but there are issues with recruitment. We may be turning a corner but until recently it's been difficult to see how our foreign imports have been better than Scottish players who would have been cheaper but were deemed not good enough eg Hickey, Porteous, Doig, Ferguson, Nisbet, Dykes etc.

There does seem to be a feeling amongst some of our fans that they can't be good enough simply because they're Scottish.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

John McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Scott McKenna

Ryan Fraser

And made no move to sign them. Why? They prefer horse shit bargain basement foreign tripe.

100% vote up

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

John McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Scott McKenna

Ryan Fraser

Exactly!

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

John McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Scott McKenna

Ryan Fraser

Front two of Shankland and Nisbet would win the champions league?

How many SPFL players have the Of signed since Fraser left, I am assuming you don't mean the recent availability