Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 211 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, thesaint said:

Who care's?He has made it clear he wants to play for england.That should be end of story.Don't care how solid he looks for f..ks sake.

Correct. Zander Clark is more than capable if he gets a good run now for Hearts

3 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Liam cooper is hopelessly out his depth at this level 

I didnt watch the game but was he that bad?

Man city tend to hump alot of teams and losing to them 3-1 isnt the worst result for a relatively poor leeds team. Hes lasted a few seasons in the epl so he cant be all that bad at that level.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Said it before but Kevin Nisbet is nowhere near the level of striker we need.

His movement is poor, doesnt hold the ball up and has so many slack passes that at international level would get punished.

Thought he played well against Rangers and also scored a cracker.

Shankland is playing very well. Hold up and link up is good.

Those two are probably the best we have below Adams & Dykes?

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Said it before but Kevin Nisbet is nowhere near the level of striker we need.

His movement is poor, doesnt hold the ball up and has so many slack passes that at international level would get punished.

Missed a sitter last night too.

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Thought he played well against Rangers and also scored a cracker.

Shankland is playing very well. Hold up and link up is good.

Those two are probably the best we have below Adams & Dykes?

Personally I think there is a huge drop off after Adams even to Dykes and then thereafter another huge drop off to the likes of Shankland,  Nisbett and Brown. 

Shankland's goal return this year will get him lots of noise however I believe he currently has 16 goals. 9 of these being penaltys and 1 a rebound from a saved penalty. So really he has scored 6 open play goals this season which isnt particuarly impressive. I understand that a goal scored from a penalty is still a goal scored but I think its important to compare like for like. Shankland wouldnt be taking pens for Scotland so we need to look at what he would bring to the team in open play.

Im not actually a huge fan of the guy but I actually think McBurnie is still our 3rd best striker. Id love somebody to break through so we have a real back up to Adams though.

For the record I think Dykes is a good asset to brinf off the bench.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Personally I think there is a huge drop off after Adams even to Dykes and then thereafter another huge drop off to the likes of Shankland,  Nisbett and Brown. 

Shankland's goal return this year will get him lots of noise however I believe he currently has 16 goals. 9 of these being penaltys and 1 a rebound from a saved penalty. So really he has scored 6 open play goals this season which isnt particuarly impressive. I understand that a goal scored from a penalty is still a goal scored but I think its important to compare like for like. Shankland wouldnt be taking pens for Scotland so we need to look at what he would bring to the team in open play.

Im not actually a huge fan of the guy but I actually think McBurnie is still our 3rd best striker. Id love somebody to break through so we have a real back up to Adams though.

I'd consider using McGinn as a striker if we didn't have Adams or Dykes. His hold up play, strength and finishing is impressive; I think he'd be better than Shankland or Nisbet, tbh, and possibly McBurnie. The biggest negative would be losing him as an attacking midfielder.

Something like (for the midfield/strikers):

• McTominay - McGregor/Gilmour
  • Armstrong - Turnbull/Fraser/McGregor - Christie
  • McGinn

38 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'd consider using McGinn as a striker if we didn't have Adams or Dykes. His hold up play, strength and finishing is impressive; I think he'd be better than Shankland or Nisbet, tbh, and possibly McBurnie. The biggest negative would be losing him as an attacking midfielder.

Something like (for the midfield/strikers):

• McTominay - McGregor/Gilmour
  • Armstrong - Turnbull/Fraser/McGregor - Christie
  • McGinn

I think the loss of McGinn coming late into the box would be too great. At a push I think McTominay would be better suited. 

Not sure what id do if neither Adams or Dykes was available for a big game like Norway. I certainly wouldnt feel confident with either Shankland or Nisbet.

Will be interesting to see if Stewart can maintain his form and make the step up.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not sure i agree with that analysis. Adams is probably the best we have but there isnt a huge gap between our forwards. Adams is slightly better than dykes and dykes is slightly better than shankland,brown and nisbet. Ross stewart looks like he could end up being up there with adams if he keeps up his good form. Hes probably going to be in the epl soon and i am willing to bet he does alright there if given a proper chance.

I agree on the shankland point though. Its not great stats when the pens get removed. I think penalty taking strikers at the moment have a great advantage of boosting their numbers due to the crazy amount of pens getting given. 

I think tommy conway could be the future, hes scored 8 or 9 goals this season and is only 20 years old. If he can finish on 15/16 this season that would be pretty impressive for his age. We dont often have 20 year old strikers scoring goals at english championship or even spl level very often and i think his potential is massive.

18 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Shankland has 16 but a fair few penalties yes, his link up play and all round game is very good though. 

Dykes has 6 with 2 penalties.

McBurnie is miles off international quality. 

Edited by ProudScot