The news thread - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8385090/tories-parliament-rangers-second-most-successful-club-world/

The Scottish tories are getting on with the serious shit🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is it April 1st already. Desperation really set in wi them if that’s what their priorities are, appealing to the staunch while denying the truth. They’re also trying to put Sturgeon on the spot, if this goes thru she’ll look bad to all decent people if it doesn’t the blue bears etc will claim she’s anti Rangers. Surely the bampots who raised this have more pressing matters to attend to with what’s happening in the world today.

42 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Is it April 1st already. Desperation really set in wi them if that’s what their priorities are, appealing to the staunch while denying the truth. They’re also trying to put Sturgeon on the spot, if this goes thru she’ll look bad to all decent people if it doesn’t the blue bears etc will claim she’s anti Rangers. Surely the bampots who raised this have more pressing matters to attend to with what’s happening in the world today.

And they have the cheek to criticise the SG for pointless vanity projects. 
If I were Sturgeon I would tell them to GTF. Any decent Ranges supporter will see this for what it is  and lets be honest the rest will never support anything she does anyway. 

40 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

And they have the cheek to criticise the SG for pointless vanity projects. 
If I were Sturgeon I would tell them to GTF. Any decent Ranges supporter will see this for what it is  and lets be honest the rest will never support anything she does anyway. 

They would have been more in tune with Scotland & not just one section of our population if they’d ask the Scottish parliament to vote on Boris Johnson’s continuous lies to the British public.

I thought this was a doctored post or a tweet from a parody account but sadly it isn't; below is a genuine tweet from a genuine SNP councillor from Oban, Julie McKenzie:

IMG_20220207_222428.thumb.jpg.3ff6830139d9c12067efae4678950b8b.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know Carr's joke was about gypsies and it was, IMO, a pretty sick joke.  But prosecuting him and even his audience??  Come on tae fuck!  🤦‍♂️

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I thought this was a doctored post or a tweet from a parody account but sadly it isn't; below is a genuine tweet from a genuine SNP councillor from Oban, Julie McKenzie:

IMG_20220207_222428.thumb.jpg.3ff6830139d9c12067efae4678950b8b.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know Carr's joke was about gypsies and it was, IMO, a pretty sick joke.  But prosecuting him and even his audience??  Come on tae fuck!  🤦‍♂️

His joke was funny.

A massive over reaction from absolute fuckwits, and two faced fuckwits at that.

15 minutes ago, kumnio said:

His joke was funny.

A massive over reaction from absolute fuckwits, and two faced fuckwits at that.

I didn’t think it was very funny but I could understand the point which he was trying to make, which was essentially that there were lots of other marginalised groups targeted in the holocaust alongside Jews.   That’s obviously far too nuanced for people like that councillor though. 

edit, I just didn’t think it was a very good joke, not that the subject matter should be off limits. 

Edited by aaid

I thought the point of the joke was to poke fun at people's prejudices, rather than to mock people being systematically slaughtered. 

Either way, to suggest that people be legally prosecuted - with everything that entails - just for laughing at something...🙈

49 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I thought the point of the joke was to poke fun at people's prejudices, rather than to mock people being systematically slaughtered. 

I suspect that's the case as well but if you have to explain a joke then it probably wasn't very funny in the first place.

Had he crafted the punchline in such a manner that he made that clearer there probably wouldn't be any debate.

5 hours ago, aaid said:

I suspect that's the case as well but if you have to explain a joke then it probably wasn't very funny in the first place.

Had he crafted the punchline in such a manner that he made that clearer there probably wouldn't be any debate.

As a wise man once said (actually he said it a lot more than once 😉) - "Some of the best jokes are the ones that most people don't understand"

On 2/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, Lamia said:

I'm not sure I understand this Johnson/Starmer/Saville spat?

I'm no fan of Starmer or Johnson but are the media saying that Johnson is lying because Starmer doesn't accept responsibility for the decisions that were made by people working for him, whilst he was DPP?

Is it correct that Starmer was the man in charge when the decision was taken not to prosecute Saville? If he is saying that the decisions taken by people working for him are not his responsibility then it sounds like a strange line to take for somebody who wants to be PM?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure I understand this Johnson/Starmer/Saville spat?

I'm no fan of Starmer or Johnson but are the media saying that Johnson is lying because Starmer doesn't accept responsibility for the decisions that were made by people working for him, whilst he was DPP?

Is it correct that Starmer was the man in charge when the decision was taken not to prosecute Saville? If he is saying that the decisions taken by people working for him are not his responsibility then it sounds like a strange line to take for somebody who wants to be PM?

It's just a dead cat which to an extent hasn't so much bounced but rebounded on Johnson.   The idea would have been to try and establish some kind of equivalence between him and Starmer and get people talking about Starmer instead.  However, 10 days on, not only are people still going on about parties, they're also going on about what Johnson said and in fact Starmer has not only come out of this intact but with it appears a great level of sympathy.

The subsequent clarification - it's a matter of public record what he *actually* said - is an attempt to row back on his accusation falling completely flat.

As you point out, it's an interesting line to take when you've spent months trying to put the blame on everything that's been going on in Downing Street on the individuals responsible rather than accept responsibility for the failure of the organisation.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's just a dead cat which to an extent hasn't so much bounced but rebounded on Johnson.   The idea would have been to try and establish some kind of equivalence between him and Starmer and get people talking about Starmer instead.  However, 10 days on, not only are people still going on about parties, they're also going on about what Johnson said and in fact Starmer has not only come out of this intact but with it appears a great level of sympathy.

The subsequent clarification - it's a matter of public record what he *actually* said - is an attempt to row back on his accusation falling completely flat.

As you point out, it's an interesting line to take when you've spent months trying to put the blame on everything that's been going on in Downing Street on the individuals responsible rather than accept responsibility for the failure of the organisation.

The pair of them are as bad as each other.

It's interesting that the media seem to be backing Starmer on this one. If the facts, as I understand them, are correct, and Starmer was in charge of the department that decided not to prosecute Saville, then what Johnson said isn't a lie. Never thought I'd ever type that statement. 😂

It might be a floundering ridiculous attempt at whatabootery, but what he said wasn't wrong. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The pair of them are as bad as each other.

It's interesting that the media seem to be backing Starmer on this one. If the facts, as I understand them, are correct, and Starmer was in charge of the department that decided not to prosecute Saville, then what Johnson said isn't a lie. Never thought I'd ever type that statement. 😂

It might be a floundering ridiculous attempt at whatabootery, but what he said wasn't wrong. 

This is the exact quote from Johnson.  

'He spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile.' 

He's saying that Starmer was personally responsible for the decision not to prosecute Savile, which is a lie.

If he wanted to be correct then he should have said "His department spent most of their time..." but that wouldn't have conveyed the false impression he wanted to spread.

36 minutes ago, aaid said:

This is the exact quote from Johnson.  

He's saying that Starmer was personally responsible for the decision not to prosecute Savile, which is a lie.

If he wanted to be correct then he should have said "His department spent most of their time..." but that wouldn't have conveyed the false impression he wanted to spread.

That's just nitpicking though. Starmer was in charge of the department which decided not to prosecute Saville (for whatever reason?). Starmer is responsible for that fuckup. He isn't the only person responsible, but he is one of the main ones. 

50 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's just nitpicking though. Starmer was in charge of the department which decided not to prosecute Saville (for whatever reason?). Starmer is responsible for that fuckup. He isn't the only person responsible, but he is one of the main ones. 

If your dog shits on your neighbour’s lawn, you might feel that you need to go and apologise, it doesn’t mean that you took a dump there yourself. 

The impression that Johnson was hoping to get across was that Starmer was personally, knowingly and deliberately protecting Savile and not that he was a poor leader who wasn’t providing the proper level of oversight to his department. 

it’s the difference between being accountable for something and responsible for it.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, aaid said:

Or maybe some people take everything too seriously nowadays.

A bad day for the imbecile that is Liz Truss

"it's like talking to a deaf person" said Sergey Lavrov

Not deaf Sergey - just a total airhead

Edited by Ally Bongo

Please tell me that some of you saw the STV news report on the guy the Americans are trying to extradite on faking his own death after being accused of rape and fraud. 

Not to make light of any crimes he may have committed but the footage of him leaving court had me in knots. Apart from the fact that he resembles a Scooby Doo villain with a phantom of the opera style hat, he looked comical trying to speak to reporters through an oxygen mask. Then the moment to end all, the cops dropping him as they tried to lift him in an electric chair into a taxi. I was actually buckled, bent double. It's the most I have laughed in a long time. 

If you haven't seen it make a point of trying to catch it. It won't disappoint! 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Please tell me that some of you saw the STV news report on the guy the Americans are trying to extradite on faking his own death after being accused of rape and fraud. 

Not to make light of any crimes he may have committed but the footage of him leaving court had me in knots. Apart from the fact that he resembles a Scooby Doo villain with a phantom of the opera style hat, he looked comical trying to speak to reporters through an oxygen mask. Then the moment to end all, the cops dropping him as they tried to lift him in an electric chair into a taxi. I was actually buckled, bent double. It's the most I have laughed in a long time. 

If you haven't seen it make a point of trying to catch it. It won't disappoint! 🤣🤣

I saw that, 🤣

5 hours ago, slasher said:

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/american-fake-death-accused-in-court-after-glasgow-arrest

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A bad day for the imbecile that is Liz Truss

"it's like talking to a deaf person" said Sergey Lavrov

Not deaf Sergey - just a total airhead

Truss is so thick she doesn't realise how thick she is - the worst kind of thicko. Unfortunately for the rest of us, she's in a position of genuine influence. I wouldn't put it past her to inadvertently start a war! 😂