The news thread - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, davierobbsagod said:

As a former time served spark I've had lots of people asking if I can install these for them and for the reasons DD gave earlier (lifting floors ,cutting ceilings etc) I've said no to them all but did do a search for the wireless ones for a pal and sent him the links so he could put them up himself (virtually plug and play)

Anyway he also asked me If I can do an EICR for the flat, again it was a no so he had to shell out for a proper company to do it for him.

So the EICR was done and they have condemned his smoke detectors (he bought the cheaper version with replaceable batteries....not the tamper proof link I sent him)

So my question is, why is the sparky condemning the smoke/heat detectors when the legislation is not enacted till Feb 22 surely as it stands now they are suitable .Although he realises that he will have to change them for Feb 

They shouldn’t be condemning them anyway, a battery smoke alarm isn’t part of a fixed installation, regardless of it’s a removable battery or lithium one. If he has been charged for rectifying this, or been given an unsatisfactory report for them, I would be querying it with the company, or calling the governing body that the guy is associated to. 

That is the perfect example of people trying to make a quick buck, or having no idea what they’re talking about. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You’re last part is particularly true. My father in laws partner told me a guy was going around her old mums area and charging £550 for the same thing I priced for their house, which would’ve been less than £200 as it’s family 🤬😂

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in where people really have no morals and only see £ signs. 

Yeah it is a rip-off's charter.

But I don't think it is the world we live, or even the Europe we live in. I think the UK, and Scotland as well, has a really rank tradesperson rip-off quality problem. That is why the polish tradesfolk who came in were such a breath of fresh air... they were not shite, not rip-offs in comparison.

Trying to get a joiner now is as bad as getting an appointment with a GP.

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Worst bit of advice out there. 

Nah, sticking with the 5, can’t be arsed moving again and I have only half finished my bar 🤣

Aye , and it would be a bugger trying to drill out that sun umbrella from the patio. Best just buy a second 5 bed 😁

Thanks for the information . Not that it means a thing to me but will pass it onto someone who has a clue. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye , and it would be a bugger trying to drill out that sun umbrella from the patio. Best just buy a second 5 bed 😁

Thanks for the information . Not that it means a thing to me but will pass it onto someone who has a clue. 

It’s not drilled into the patio, it’s just cemented into a tub below the table 😂

Thats gonna have to move on Saturday for the new hot tub anyway…….

The supposed reason that they need to be interconnected is in case one goes off in one room and you can't hear it in another room. FFS, have these idiots never heard a smoke alarm going off? It's loud as fuk. Every time my better half burns the toast I could hear it half way doon the street, never mind another room. A 3 bedroom house needs 3 smoke detectors. One in the living room, which is fair enough. The other 2 go in the downstairs hall and the upstairs hall. Do these risk assessors all live in big fuk off mansions? In most normal houses the upstairs hall and the downstairs hall is effectively the same room. They are telling us to put 2 detectors in the same room probably about 10 feet apart. That's just fukin mental. The heat sensor in the kitchen is a good idea. except......... how am I going to know when the tea is ready?

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The supposed reason that they need to be interconnected is in case one goes off in one room and you can't hear it in another room. FFS, have these idiots never heard a smoke alarm going off? It's loud as fuk. Every time my better half burns the toast I could hear it half way doon the street, never mind another room. A 3 bedroom house needs 3 smoke detectors. One in the living room, which is fair enough. The other 2 go in the downstairs hall and the upstairs hall. Do these risk assessors all live in big fuk off mansions? In most normal houses the upstairs hall and the downstairs hall is effectively the same room. They are telling us to put 2 detectors in the same room probably about 10 feet apart. That's just fukin mental. The heat sensor in the kitchen is a good idea. except......... how am I going to know when the tea is ready?

😂 on the plus side the racket should drown out her nagging. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

But if the fire is upstairs, the smoke isn’t going to travel down the way…..

Haven’t really heard anything about this because it’s not something that’s happening in England. 

Does seem a bit over the top to me.  

I can completely understand legislation for them to be installed in rented accommodation and I can also understand that being extended to flats at least, given the chance of a fire spreading from one property to others in a block and wouldn’t object if they formed part of the regulations for new build properties.

However, if you live in a detached house which isn’t in proximity to other properties, surely it should be your own choice to fit them or not.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12503137

This lot really need a wake up call. Monster sized squads, paid an absolute fortune for doing what fans could only dream of. People spending Christmas on their own, kids living in poverty.....you could go on all night with examples of people have it really tough but these spoiled wimps can't play a couple of extra games of football over the festive period

My heart fucking bleeds 

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This lot really need a wake up call. Monster sized squads, paid an absolute fortune for doing what fans could only dream of. People spending Christmas on their own, kids living in poverty.....you could go on all night with examples of people have it really tough but these spoiled wimps can't play a couple of extra games of football over the festive period

My heart fucking bleeds 

I think there’s a point here though.  It’s not just a couple of extra games over Christmas though is it.   It’s a drip, drip, drip of more games, driven primarily by TV, with no thought given to fans who attend in person the revenue from which admittedly does flow in large part to players.

In club football you’ve seen increases in both the Champions League and Europa League expanded and now this new Conference, which means that more teams are playing more games.

In international football, the Nations League and the contractual requirement to play on every date and increase in size of the number of finalists all mean one thing, more games.   Now they’re talking about a World Cup every two years. 

Used to be that season finished in the middle of May and unless it was the World Cup or the Euros then it wouldn’t start again until the middle of August three months later.  Now the season runs into the middle of June for internationals and actually starts before it finishes for euro qualifiers. 

Anyway, shouldn’t this be in the Football section 😂

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think there’s a point here though.  It’s not just a couple of extra games over Christmas though is it.   It’s a drip, drip, drip of more games, driven primarily by TV, with no thought given to fans who attend in person the revenue from which admittedly does flow in large part to players.

In club football you’ve seen increases in both the Champions League and Europa League expanded and now this new Conference, which means that more teams are playing more games.

In international football, the Nations League and the contractual requirement to play on every date and increase in size of the number of finalists all mean one thing, more games.   Now they’re talking about a World Cup every two years. 

Used to be that season finished in the middle of May and unless it was the World Cup or the Euros then it wouldn’t start again until the middle of August three months later.  Now the season runs into the middle of June for internationals and actually starts before it finishes for euro qualifiers. 

Anyway, shouldn’t this be in the Football section 😂

For these players there aren't that many more games. Their CL or EL journey is the same, they automatically qualify for the groups. They also play weekend teams in Cup competitions nowdays so it's well balanced out.

They've also got bugger squads than ever before.

If you played 60 games a season in the 80s and 90s it was seen as good thing because it meant you got far in each competition

This is nothing more than players acting like spoilt bastards and using mental health as an excuse

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My heart fucking bleeds 

Wtf . Going on strike. What for, more money ? 🙄 Absolute joke. 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, Grim Jim said:

And if the fire is downstairs the smoke (eg from my burnt offerings) is going to rise to the top landing.   So don't see the point of one at the bottom of the stairs, except in DD's mansion mibbes.

In theory, yeah, but if the fire starts when you’re in bed, you’ve a fighting chance that you’ll hear it going off as the downstairs one will trigger first, when that happens, you’ve got a fighting chance of getting the family out, if the downstairs doesn’t have one there’s a risk the fire is too far gone by the time it reaches the top of the stairs and you’re then picking a window. 

Edited by dandydunn

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

For these players there aren't that many more games. Their CL or EL journey is the same, they automatically qualify for the groups. They also play weekend teams in Cup competitions nowdays so it's well balanced out.

They've also got bugger squads than ever before.

If you played 60 games a season in the 80s and 90s it was seen as good thing because it meant you got far in each competition

This is nothing more than players acting like spoilt bastards and using mental health as an excuse

They also fly to a significant number of games, so no arduous journeys. 

Get waited on hand and foot, sports scientists looking after ever detail. 

Fitba players really should learn to STFU. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

They also fly to a significant number of games, so no arduous journeys. 

Get waited on hand and foot, sports scientists looking after ever detail. 

Fitba players really should learn to STFU. 

Agreed, there is no defence for their actions

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, dandydunn said:

The cheapest way to do them electrically, would be to hard wire them, but this isn’t always possible, depending on access to different floors and future decoration costs, as below, photo 1.

If you already have a mains powered one, need more and hardwiring isn’t an option, you could use photo 2 as a base and then fit photo 3 to the rest of the house, again, with just the push of a button to link them together.

As I say, they are more expensive, but you save on the cost of potentially having a sparkie in for a day, lifting floorboards, making holes in ceilings and then needing a decorator to tidy up afterwards.

The most important part though and I’m not just saying this as it makes me money, is to make sure they’re installed and certified by an electrician.

I can’t be 100% sure, but if you’re unfortunate enough to ever need them and claim on your insurance, they’ll most likely to ask for certification to show they’ve been properly installed, as they really are thieving bastards.

Dont let the costs below put you off, that’s screwfix prices, we get them much cheaper than that, but there is cowboys out there that are taking £400-£500 off of people for a basic house.

Ive done a few myself for a lot less than people have been getting quoted by gardeners and plumbers.

AFA998FF-D20A-497E-9702-1AA1AF8DA1DF.png

3A889CA2-DB4F-49A6-A654-F51A3FC07C3B.png

FD308FB5-3301-454D-A048-3FE5C1B6C392.png

What are your thoughts on this bundle ?

https://fireguardplus.co.uk/product/starter-bundle/

I live in an averaged size two bedroom flat and I already have a smoke alarm hardwired into my hallway ceiling - what do I do with that if I get the bundle that interlink? 

So I guess what I need is in this bundle ( I already have carbon monoxide detector in my kitchen) and would put one in hallway and one in living room and heat detector in kitchen ? But again, what happens to the old hallway one which is wired in ?

1 hour ago, fringo said:

What are your thoughts on this bundle ?

https://fireguardplus.co.uk/product/starter-bundle/

I live in an averaged size two bedroom flat and I already have a smoke alarm hardwired into my hallway ceiling - what do I do with that if I get the bundle that interlink? 

So I guess what I need is in this bundle ( I already have carbon monoxide detector in my kitchen) and would put one in hallway and one in living room and heat detector in kitchen ? But again, what happens to the old hallway one which is wired in ?

Honestly, they’re shit. I’ve seen many people fit these and ask me to replace them with Aico as they are terrible units for nuisance alarming, with the wired one, you can fit a radio link base and then the rest of them can be wireless and react from that, I would honestly only fit aico, I believe best do ones too, but I’ve never fotted these so couldn’t comment on them.

53 minutes ago, phart said:

I got my gran sorted out for £300 total.

Carbon monoxide alarm, heat detector(Ei603RF), 3 smoke alarms( Aico Ei650RF) and installation.

That’s exactly what I’m fitting into 6 houses tomorrow and charging with certification 👍🏽

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Honestly, they’re shit. I’ve seen many people fit these and ask me to replace them with Aico as they are terrible units for nuisance alarming, with the wired one, you can fit a radio link base and then the rest of them can be wireless and react from that, I would honestly only fit aico, I believe best do ones too, but I’ve never fotted these so couldn’t comment on them.

That’s exactly what I’m fitting into 6 houses tomorrow and charging with certification 👍🏽

cheers for feedback. Much appreciated.