The news thread - Page 70 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Was reading bits of the paper this morning. Interesting the mechanism is the activation of old cells as opposed to creation of cells.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Was reading bits of the paper this morning. Interesting the mechanism is the activation of old cells as opposed to creation of cells.

Aye, it could revolutionise the way we think about how cancers are initiated. And hopefully lead to methods of prevention.

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was watching House of Dragons last night and there was a bit ( no spoiler) where the King was in a forest with all his men and was approaching a stag he had to kill. Subtitles came up saying ‘ sombre music playing’ and all I could think of was the kingsmen whipping out maracas and blasting out La Bamba . I could not take the scene serious at all. 

😅

Liz Truss will accompany Charles & Camilla on UK tour next week: Edinburgh Monday, Tuesday Belfast & Wales Friday “to support king” at “significant moment of national mourning”, No. 10 says.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

It's really easy to get away from it if you want to.

If you want to be offended by the level of coverage, knock yourself out and watch BBC1

Agreed, avoided live tv and radio. Won’t be looking at a paper for a couple of weeks either. Although there was one in the barbers on the table lizzy on the front obviously so I slyly turned it over unfortunately she was also on the back, Turkish dudes noticed had a chinwag then came over with a big smile and put a towel over it. 

The Queen's state funeral will be Monday 19th September - it's a bank holiday

7 days period of mourning thereafter

There will be no horse racing on the 19th but all fixtures before and after are on, starting tomorrow with the exception of Musselburgh

I would imagine all football fixtures will be the same

Edited by Ally Bongo

what time do we think she died?

I personally think she died on Thursday morning, with the announcement embargoed until after 6pm.

By the time the announcement was made about her 'ill health', she will already have been dead. It was strange that all the news presenters across all the different channels were already wearing black ties despite the fact that she was apparently only experiencing 'ill health'.

There was that strange thing on Thursday afternoon with one of the Balmoral servants being sent to take down the no entry sign at the entrance - that was totally bizarre. Plus Huw Edwards on the BBC coverage made a reference to 'awaiting the announcement' mid-afternoon on Thursday, clearly implying that she was already dead but they were awaiting the thumbs up to announce it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pumped her full of steroids to get her through the handover meeting from BoJo to Truss

47 minutes ago, tartandon said:

I personally think she died on Thursday morning, with the announcement embargoed until after 6pm.

Died in her sleep overnight.

Too many signals - notes being passed in HoP at noon, BBC changing schedules, presenters suddenly appearing in dark clothes, and embargo until 1830 to allow the clan to get to Balmoral.

And the lack of detail since.

I know it shouldnt mean anything significant to any of us but is anyone else feeling a bit depressed or maybe it's maudlin ?

Maybe that is what the sycophant 24 hour coverage is meant to do

However for everyone on this board we were all born in her reign and she has been everywhere even though we have paid scant attention - on stamps, on money, christmas day speech etc 

1 hour ago, tartandon said:

what time do we think she died?

By the time the announcement was made about her 'ill health', she will already have been dead. It was strange that all the news presenters across all the different channels were already wearing black ties despite the fact that she was apparently only experiencing 'ill health'.

There was that strange thing on Thursday afternoon with one of the Balmoral servants being sent to take down the no entry sign at the entrance - that was totally bizarre. Plus Huw Edwards on the BBC coverage made a reference to 'awaiting the announcement' mid-afternoon on Thursday, clearly implying that she was already dead but they were awaiting the thumbs up to announce it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pumped her full of steroids to get her through the handover meeting from BoJo to Truss

She definitely died in the morning for me. As soon as the chatter started as you say the news folk had black suits and ties on and were shifty as fuck all day. They clearly knew she was gone. Was a bit weird getting them all to fly to Balmoral before anouncing it then saying she died with her family around her. She clearly took a turn and died before any of them got there. 

My understanding of once reading that operation london bridge thing was the announcement was always going to be made at 6pm. So she probably died sometime between 6pm the day before and 6pm on the day,

Does seem a bit macabre to be speculating but I would guess sometime in the morning due to the reasons stated by others.

16 minutes ago, Kirk said:

She definitely died in the morning for me. As soon as the chatter started as you say the news folk had black suits and ties on and were shifty as fuck all day. They clearly knew she was gone. Was a bit weird getting them all to fly to Balmoral before anouncing it then saying she died with her family around her. She clearly took a turn and died before any of them got there. 

On a human level, I thought it was a bit shite that they didn't wait the extra half hour until Harry got there before announcing the death of his granny. But it would have been a bit of a giveaway since he was wearing a black suit and tie when he arrived at Balmoral.

4 minutes ago, tartandon said:

On a human level, I thought it was a bit shite that they didn't wait the extra half hour until Harry got there before announcing the death of his granny. But it would have been a bit of a giveaway since he was wearing a black suit and tie when he arrived at Balmoral.

Aye why bother getting him to come if they couldn't wait. They waited all day anyway. Could they not have flown him by helicopter from the airport. Surley there's space to land on the grounds somewhere.

8 hours ago, phart said:

My understanding of once reading that operation london bridge thing was the announcement was always going to be made at 6pm. So she probably died sometime between 6pm the day before and 6pm on the day,

Does seem a bit macabre to be speculating but I would guess sometime in the morning due to the reasons stated by others.

It brings trust in the media into spotlight for me because it seems obvious they were telling folk the opposite of what they already knew to be true given the black tie uniform.

Applying Occum’s Razor it would seem that from the point when they started the rolling coverage on Thursday after the announcement around lunchtime, it was expected that she was on her way out and likely only had a matter of hours left and the tone and content of the coverage suggested exactly that.  So given the protocol and the fact that it’s now a rolling news 24/7 schedule its a bit difficult to get changed on live TV.

Anyway, Martin Geissler was going on about the Toy Shop in Ballater, reminded me of this classic - I never knew it actually existed.

https://youtu.be/NzS3AdzZ0Nw

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It brings trust in the media into spotlight for me because it seems obvious they were telling folk the opposite of what they already knew to be true given the black tie uniform.

Really???? This is the story that does that for you? 😉 😂

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The cricket gets a free pass?

Pretty much all sports other than football have been on.  The FAs realised that there would be certain clubs and games where commemorations would be disrupted.  The thing with a silence is that it’s not difficult for a small number to disrupt that against the wishes of the majority.  Then there’d be a media backlash.

Only something that seems to happen at football for some reason. 

15 hours ago, dan cake said:

Agreed, avoided live tv and radio. Won’t be looking at a paper for a couple of weeks either. Although there was one in the barbers on the table lizzy on the front obviously so I slyly turned it over unfortunately she was also on the back, Turkish dudes noticed had a chinwag then came over with a big smile and put a towel over it. 

I am doing my very best to avoid it but was in the hairdressers yesterday and had to endure 2 1/2 hours of sombre music. People were having a wee moan about it but the hairdressers probably felt it would offend someone if they turned it off. My car had a different station on and that was the same type of music . An entire Adele album, Elton John, every warbling dirge known to man .

One small positive is that the GBX show was cancelled. I dont mind George Bowie but canny be doing with that music.