Slovakia v Scotland - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

I think the kindest thing I can say about McBurnie is that he looks as though he's trying too hard. Funny to see some of his defenders though, one of them wanted the manager sacked a while back branding him clueless iirc. šŸ¤”

Just now, slasher said:

I think the kindest thing I can say about McBurnie is that he looks as though he's trying too hard. Funny to see some of his defenders though, one of them wanted the manager sacked a while back branding him clueless iirc. šŸ¤”

Not sayin you were talking about me, but the only thing Iā€™m trying to defend McBurnie from (and as far as I can see itā€™s the same with most) is the ridiculous abuse heā€™s coming in for on this board. Completely unnecessary.Ā 

21 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

Surely we still have a very good chance of a play off via this route assuming we beat Israel on Wednesday.Ā 

As it stands the 4 group A winners are Netherlands, France, Belgium and Germany. It's fair to assume they or whoever wins their groups will finish in the top 2 positions of their WC qualifying group.Ā 

In the nations league B, it now looks like Russia's group winner won't hit 13 points so only the other 2 group winners will potentially finish above us, which look like Wales and Austria or Norway. So, as long as one of those group winners (Wales or Austria/Norway) finish in the top 2 of their group then we will be fine.Ā 

I get it's difficult to predict without the World Cup qualifying draw, I'm just making the point that it still looks good for us.Ā 

Almost certainly wont be Norway. See post I put up earlier which explains their situation.Ā 

7 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Funny thing is, if we do end up the 3rd best team out of the four group winners, we would want one of them in our world cup group as we could finnish 3rd behind one of them and end up with a playoff place still. šŸ˜†

Good point. We might then end up in the crazy position of letting them beat us in order to guarantee a play off!

At the end of the day there is no Joe Jordan-type player lurking around that hasn't been unearthed. We are where we are up top. But it needn't kill us. For ages now we have been a side with midfielders more likely to weigh-in with the goals for us in the form of McGinn, Forrest, Christie and Fraser. I feel that will continue to be the case in the near future.

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Not sayin you were talking about me, but the only thing Iā€™m trying to defend McBurnie from (and as far as I can see itā€™s the same with most) is the ridiculous abuse heā€™s coming in for on this board. Completely unnecessary.Ā 

I haven't read all the thread what kind of 'abuse?'Ā 

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

I haven't read all the thread what kind of 'abuse?'Ā 

Well for a small sample go onto Irnbrumanā€™s profile and look at his posts on the Slovakia match thread. Priceless. Thereā€™s been plenty more other than him.

By the way, wasnā€™t suggesting you were saying I was the person wanting Clarke sacked. Just as one of McBurnieā€™s ā€˜defendersā€Ā šŸ‘

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Took me about 10mins to understand how this is possible but youā€™re right!Ā 
Ā 

A bit shite that UEFA could let this happen, although very unlikely.Ā 

They could get round it if they make sure the League A and B group winners are all drawn in different World Cup groups. Will they have thought that through though? We'll find out on the 7th December.Ā 

Would be good for us if that did happen as we'd miss some hard top seeds (assuming we win our NL group!)

Ā 

1 hour ago, bossman4 said:

I dont think Norway will be winning their group. Their game off today away to Romania as Norwegian Government wouldnā€™t let them travel so looks like they will be handed a 3-0 defeat. They have had to call up a completely newĀ squad of foreign based players for their game away to Austria.

Russia, Wales and Austria the teams to look at.

So either Wales/Finland guaranteed to finish their group than more points than us.

And if we give a win to Austria over Norway, then they just need a win against Northern Ireland tonight. Maybe even a point will do

Weā€™re likely to finish above the team that finishes first in the Russia group if we beat Israel.Ā 
Ā 

So itā€™s not looking terrible, just got to do our bit and hope other results go ourĀ way including in the actual qualifiers.Ā 

Or not finish top two ourselves!

17 minutes ago, Marky said:

Well for a small sample go onto Irnbrumanā€™s profile and look at his posts on the Slovakia match thread. Priceless. Thereā€™s been plenty more other than him.

By the way, wasnā€™t suggesting you were saying I was the person wanting Clarke sacked. Just as one of McBurnieā€™s ā€˜defendersā€Ā šŸ‘

At least Im seeing reality .you tossers want to apologise for him thats your lookout.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

So either Wales/Finland guaranteed to finish their group than more points than us.

And if we give a win to Austria over Norway, then they just need a win against Northern Ireland tonight. Maybe even a point will do

Weā€™re likely to finish above the team that finishes first in the Russia group if we beat Israel.Ā 
Ā 

So itā€™s not looking terrible, just got to do our bit and hope other results go ourĀ way including in the actual qualifiers.Ā 

Or not finish top two ourselves!

If we win in Israel we will be hoping either Wales/Finland or Austria make the play offs via qualificationĀ 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We're fine as we are (my earlier post about Zola was in jest). I like Darren Fletcher a lot but the senior team really doesn't need him.

I would be delighted to see theĀ miserable, negative, Billy Stark (who represents everything I detest about Scottish football) removed from his current role as U19s manager. Fletcher would be welcome to send in his CV for that roleĀ if we did get rid of Stark and I hope we do.

Ā 

Gemmell needs the punt aswell. horrendous long ball merchant, who thinks he is a tactical maverick. 3 fullbacks starting against Croatia and a cm was the rb. We have a very good CM at u21 level but the ball just bypasses them 90% of the time.

5 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

At least Im seeing reality .you tossers want to apologise for him thats your lookout.Ā 

Oh I think itā€™s clear weā€™re all seeing the reality. Most of us can see it though without the need to hurl abuse at him like an angry wee laddie.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We would have a chance of a playoff spot butĀ we would need wait and see if we areĀ one of the two highest ranked Nations League group winners who haven't finished in the top 2 of their WC group. For that to happen would need enough of the Nations League A group winners and Nations League B winners who are higher ranked than us, to finish in the top two of their WC qualifying groups.

You would expect most (probablyĀ all) of the League A winners to that. If we had been the best League B group winner that would have been enough. But after today's defeat that probably won't happen so we might need one or even two other League B winners to also finish in the top two of their WC group.Ā 

TheĀ WC groups haven't even been drawn yet so it's hard to predict.

But we will probably need to beat Israel just to give us a chance.

Ā 

Ā 

We will definitely need to beat Israel to give us a chance

And rely on some other results

Glancing and I think
For us to stay in top 2 best rank---
We must beat Israel
Wales must lose last game
Finland must lose last gameĀ 
Want Ā  Austria to lose tonight in BelfastĀ 
Norway v Romania covid cancelled wanted Vikings to lose that.
So clutching at straws Ā Today has fucked us

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

At the end of the day there is no Joe Jordan-type player lurking around that hasn't been unearthed. We are where we are up top. But it needn't kill us. For ages now we have been a side with midfielders more likely to weigh-in with the goals for us in the form of McGinn, Forrest, Christie and Fraser. I feel that will continue to be the case in the near future.

Yes there has.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We will definitely need to beat Israel to give us a chance

And rely on some other results

Glancing and I think
For us to stay in top 2 best rank---
We must beat Israel
Wales must lose last game
Finland must lose last gameĀ 
Want Ā  Austria to lose tonight in BelfastĀ 
Norway v Romania covid cancelled wanted Vikings to lose that.
So clutching at straws Ā Today has fucked us

Wales v Finland in their last match so impossible for us to finish ahead of both of them.Ā