Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 75 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

56 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Cant see him ever dropping both Jack and Mcgregor. 

I don't see it either, but that is what I'd prefer. I think it's more likely it will be McTominay next to 1 of Jack or McGregor, and McGinn in his usual Scottish role.

From what I gather, McGregor is excellent in training and really impresses every manager he trains under. Which would explain his 60+ games a season. But it has been a long time since he really put in international worthy performances. I don't know why he is seemingly exempt from burnout or mental fatigue.  

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't see it either, but that is what I'd prefer. I think it's more likely it will be McTominay next to 1 of Jack or McGregor, and McGinn in his usual Scottish role.

From what I gather, McGregor is excellent in training and really impresses every manager he trains under. Which would explain his 60+ games a season. But it has been a long time since he really put in international worthy performances. I don't know why he is seemingly exempt from burnout or mental fatigue.  

He may keep Mcgregor and jack where they are and allow Mctominay and McGinn to roam and create. Plenty of possibilities to consider. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Stick with? I'm guessing you are referring to McGregor as the "creative mid". That is being very generous, and if that is meant to be his role, then he is failing at it.

In my eyes it is 2 holding midfielders, 1 creative midfielder, and a support striker, that we have been playing. Jack and McGregor were the 2 holding mids. But I'd swap them both for McTominay and McGinn. Thus allowing for 2 of Turnbull, Armstrong, Christie or Fraser to take up the other 2 attacking roles.

I wouldnt consider McGregor to be a holding midfielder. He is creative in the sence that he slips the passes into players further up the pitch as opposed to creating shooting chances.

Playing McTominey alongside McGinn would leave us so open as neither are defensive minded. McTom uses his athleticism well defensively but he is more box to box rather than somebody whose first thought is to stop the opposition like Jack.

Jack McTom and McGinn would be my 3 with either Christie or Fraser in front of them.

13 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wouldnt consider McGregor to be a holding midfielder. He is creative in the sence that he slips the passes into players further up the pitch as opposed to creating shooting chances.

Playing McTominey alongside McGinn would leave us so open as neither are defensive minded. McTom uses his athleticism well defensively but he is more box to box rather than somebody whose first thought is to stop the opposition like Jack.

100% spot on with everything here.

McGregor is a naturally attacking midfielder. When he plays in a double-pivot he needs a babysitter beside him, same with McLean, McGinn and McTominay. 

Ideally, Jack would be the true anchor. McTominay would get box to box (when he have the ball) and revert to the double-pivot (when we don't)

15 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Jack McTom and McGinn would be my 3 with either Christie or Fraser in front of them.

Well, playing McTominay as a defensive midfielder is at least higher up the park than RCB. He is very disciplined, so if Clarke tells him to be more reserved, I'm sure he could do it. As could McGinn. Though, yes, Jack is probably the most natural DCM we have.

Maybe I'm being harsh on McGregor but he really never seems to have an obvious role in the team (for Celtic or Scotland). He doesn't make enough tackles, or man mark, to be a DCM, and doesn't create enough to be an ACM. He is good at playing neat passes within a 30 yard radius, but I feel like he really needs to bring more to the team than just that. Plus, pretty much all of our other CMs can do that too, but those generally have more strings to their bow.

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Well, playing McTominay as a defensive midfielder is at least higher up the park than RCB. He is very disciplined, so if Clarke tells him to be more reserved, I'm sure he could do it. As could McGinn. Though, yes, Jack is probably the most natural DCM we have.

Maybe I'm being harsh on McGregor but he really never seems to have an obvious role in the team (for Celtic or Scotland). He doesn't make enough tackles, or man mark, to be a DCM, and doesn't create enough to be an ACM. He is good at playing neat passes within a 30 yard radius, but I feel like he really needs to bring more to the team than just that. Plus, pretty much all of our other CMs can do that too, but those generally have more strings to their bow.

Totally agree on McGregor.

If we can get Hendry at the back and McTominay into midfield then a midfield containing McTominay, McGinn, Jack, Armstrong etc doesn’t leave room in the starting lineup for McGregor. 

He was a guaranteed pick when Celtic were flying. They are far from that now so none of their players should be shoe ins for the team or even squad at present. 

46 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Totally agree on McGregor.

If we can get Hendry at the back and McTominay into midfield then a midfield containing McTominay, McGinn, Jack, Armstrong etc doesn’t leave room in the starting lineup for McGregor. 

He was a guaranteed pick when Celtic were flying. They are far from that now so none of their players should be shoe ins for the team or even squad at present. 

Being part of that invincible Celtic team was deceptive. When you have 75% of possession and rarely need to deal with dangerous attacks in the SPFL, you are going to look good. Even then, I don't think he ever really stood out. He was in the right place at the right time for Celtic and has forged a very good career out of it. But he is far from undroppable and no where near our best player in any position. 

As you say, I'd even have Armstrong ahead of him. 

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

100% spot on with everything here.

McGregor is a naturally attacking midfielder. When he plays in a double-pivot he needs a babysitter beside him, same with McLean, McGinn and McTominay. 

Ideally, Jack would be the true anchor. McTominay would get box to box (when he have the ball) and revert to the double-pivot (when we don't)

Dunno why people are laughing - that is a sound suggestion. McGregor just has this habit of giving the ball away; in our system that is critical.

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Dunno why people are laughing - that is a sound suggestion. McGregor just has this habit of giving the ball away; in our system that is critical.

That’s just not true. 

McGregor is our midfielder with the highest passing accuracy for club and country.

He also mixes this up with riskier passes than Jack and only dribbles when it’s safe. 

His failings as a defensive midfielder is his tackling, lack of closing down shots and tracking runners. That’s why Jack would need to play next to him. 

He’s more or a creative defensive midfielder whose probably best when we play sides or similar ability to us or weaker. 

For the likes of the England game I’d definitely want McTominay and Jack as the centre mids. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

That’s just not true. 

McGregor is our midfielder with the highest passing accuracy for club and country.

He also mixes this up with riskier passes than Jack and only dribbles when it’s safe. 

His failings as a defensive midfielder is his tackling, lack of closing down shots and tracking runners. That’s why Jack would need to play next to him. 

He’s more or a creative defensive midfielder whose probably best when we play sides or similar ability to us or weaker. 

For the likes of the England game I’d definitely want McTominay and Jack as the centre mids. 

His passing percentage is incredibly misleading. The vast majority are safe 10 yard passes that any professional footballer could make. His highlight reel makes him look like a creative force, but those defence splitting passes and long range goals are few and far between these days. 

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

His passing percentage is incredibly misleading. The vast majority are safe 10 yard passes that any professional footballer could make. His highlight reel makes him look like a creative force, but those defence splitting passes and long range goals are few and far between these days. 

But that’s his job? You don’t want a player asked to do his role to be giving the ball away in his half or in the attacking half with no covering midfielders behind. 

I was responding to a comment where he was described as a player who gave the ball away too often. 

He needs to let guys like McGinn and Christie to try riskier passes. And is obviously asked by his manager to keep it relatively simple for both Scotland and Celtic. 

I don’t think he’s definitely in our best first 11 at the moment but he’s neither a guy that gives the ball away too often or a guy who keeps it too simple. 

I thought his best game for us was against Serbia where he was perfectly balanced offensively and defensively. He’s not been brilliant for Celtic but neither has their whole squad. 

59 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I thought McGregor was excellent vs Serbia. Doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed a start as we have a lot of good midfielders. But I think he gets a bad press on here. Decent player who’s growing into Clarke’s system.

He’s definitely a good player to have in the squad. 

If all our best players are available and are picked in their primary positions then I don’t think McGregor starts. 

I think people talking about dropping McGregor are mistaken. We have very good midfield options, they offer different things. Depends how we play, who opposition are if he starts. But he is very important to the team. Jack probably better defensively, McTominay better at getting up park quickly and more of a goal threat, McGinn better forward player. But McGregor is our best at ball retention and against Serbia had obviously been tol to be more dynamic and force things (see interception that led to the goal). People saying his place should go to Armstrong are just wrong. I’m an Armstrong fan but they offer different things. Place for all of them in the squad. I think for most matches McGregor would be on my team. We’d otherwise struggle to retain possession.

Nathan Patterson starting again & he will continue to start in the Europa Quarter final this week and next week even if a league ban comes (which it probably shouldn’t anyway) - Tavernier is out for a while yet. 

Will push himself right into the frame for a call up on the back of that. 

Nisbet is starting again & McCrorie takes his place back in goals for Livi

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Nathan Patterson starting again & he will continue to start in the Europa Quarter final this week and next week even if a league ban comes (which it probably shouldn’t anyway) - Tavernier is out for a while yet. 

Will push himself right into the frame for a call up on the back of that. 

Nisbet is starting again & McCrorie takes his place back in goals for Livi

Just as well as Marshall is till out injured and so far McGilvarary has conceded 4 goals against Northampton.

Could be Gordon and McCrorie in the qualifiers if Marshall is not fit.