Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 45 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBH, I'm delighted at that as I had it down as a loss.   All the ingredients were there for the Tories to take it.   Long standing incumbent standing down, big leave area, Tory MP since 2017 and increased majority in 2019.

I'm treating it as picking up a seat.

thank alba for that 😜 if alba fail to gain any seats i will take this as their win haha,, chuffed it never went tory

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

thank alba for that 😜 if alba fail to gain any seats i will take this as their win haha,, chuffed it never went tory

Well it's possible to believe that, with only 772 votes in it, if Alba activists helped boost turnout and SNP1. 

53 minutes ago, Lamia said:

We could have done the same thing with the vaccine procurement within the EU though

Sorry are you arguing that vaccine distribution would have been equally or more effective from within the EU? Or are you making a more nuanced point?  If the former, that just doesn't seem plausible given the facts: • Europe: COVID-19 vaccination rates by country | Statista

Clearly the UK has benefited from being outwith the EU when it comes to vaccination manufacturing and distribution. You can argue whether it's the result of being lucky or good and you can heavily balance that by the fact the UK has had very high relative death rates prior to vaccinations. But you can't argue on the vaccination point. 

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

BBC just going over the constituency and has the 2014 result as 40/60, Yes/No.

Anyway, you did your bit to hold it so hats off to you.

1 minute ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Sorry are you arguing that vaccine distribution would have been equally or more effective from within the EU? Or are you making a more nuanced point?  If the former, that just doesn't seem plausible given the facts: • Europe: COVID-19 vaccination rates by country | Statista

Clearly the UK has benefited from being outwith the EU when it comes to vaccination manufacturing and distribution. You can argue whether it's the result of being lucky or good and you can heavily balance that by the fact the UK has had very high relative death rates prior to vaccinations. But you can't argue on the vaccination point. 

EU members didn’t need to join the bulk procurement method so it could have been procured in the same way in or out. 

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBH, I'm delighted at that as I had it down as a loss.   All the ingredients were there for the Tories to take it.   Long standing incumbent standing down, big leave area, Tory MP since 2017 and increased majority in 2019.

I'm treating it as picking up a seat.

I thought Tories would have taken this one too. A lot of far-right sympathisers up there. Swings and vote share is all good but the win is what actually matters. 

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Phew is the word I used but still, I just don't get the North East and its love of the conservatives.

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

EU members didn’t need to join the bulk procurement method so it could have been procured in the same way in or out. 

Right , got you. You could have chosen to go it alone an that would have gotten you the better outcome than the EU solution. Yeah I don't think that would convince English voters to re-join the EU  😄

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The only good news so far is the good people of Dundee doing the right thing, abody else, well...

When you see such a massive result for Joe Fitzpatrick in Dundee, then compare that to what happened in Banff & Buchan, it's no wonder that it's hard to predict what the regional result will be for NE Scotland. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

When you see such a massive result for Joe Fitzpatrick in Dundee, then compare that to what happened in Banff & Buchan, it's no wonder that it's hard to predict what the regional result will be for NE Scotland. 

it was always going to be close here, the media are only trying to make it look like a big swin when infact we lost the GE

Seeing Labour vote Tory and vice versa with an addition of LibDem in that mix as well is just crippling. No victory for policy or democracy. 

You could say the same about the Labour voters that have been lost to the SNP historically.  

If the game is purely about stopping an SNP or Indy majority then this is really no way for our country to continue. 

2 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Seeing Labour vote Tory and vice versa with an addition of LibDem in that mix as well is just crippling. No victory for policy or democracy. 

You could say the same about the Labour voters that have been lost to the SNP historically.  

If the game is purely about stopping an SNP or Indy majority then this is really no way for our country to continue. 

Aye it's murder. Folk voting SNP even though they think they are utter dug shite and folk voting Tories even though they are left wing.  

Not really looking good for Salmond.  

In 2016, the last list seat in North East went with 17170.  If turnout is up by 10% then it could be closer to 19k this time around.

They've released the list numbers for Donside and Alba have only picked up 743 votes.

Given that constituency overlaps with the WM constituency of Gordon which Salmond held from 2015-2017 and would be considered part of his "heartland", he really needed to really be getting a few thousand there.