Russia V Scotland - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia V Scotland - Match Thread

vanderark14

3 minutes ago, mentalist said:

What Clarke was able to do as a club manager can't be replicated at International level due to not having the time to work with the players. If a player is an International he should be able to do the basics right, without intensive coaching. That's the biggest problem for me the players, especially at the back, aren't good enough. I think Clarke in a club setting would improve them but that's not the scenario here. I'm not giving up on him yet, but saying he got average players to perform at a high level at Kilmarnock is not comparable to the job he has now. 

Spot on, we are just pish. End of story.

10 minutes ago, JECK said:

Cyprus away now becomes more interesting, a defeat and you'd have to say that would be it for Clarke? Due to the nature of these collapes against these allbeit better teams. We're a shadow of the Strachan side.

The SFA have to take the blame for the shambles we’ve become squarely on the shoulders.

Without reopening the whole should Strachan have been sacked debate, what can’t be argued is that to sack him without a cohesive plan of action that they’d already checked out was feasible was dreadful decision making. To then compound that by appointing an outdated out of work has been who we could all see was never going to be a success simply because his boozy buddies wanted to get him a gig was nothing short of criminal.

The Strachan side was hardly our finest vintage, yet if is still pretty accurate to say we’re not a shadow of even that. You never saw them cave like tonight, never saw the confidence visibly draining out of them before your very eyes like that under WGS.

We are paying the price of SFA incompetence at the time Strachan was sacked (in fact long before if we’re honest here) and we will be for a long time to come. The damage to the lads’ confidence that was done during McLeish’s time in charge is going to take years to put right.

Im not suggesting Clarke should go for one second, but if I were him I’d be out of there before my reputation got trashed. I don’t doubt he knew it was a big task he was taking on. I doubt he knew quite how big though nor quite how dreadful and fragile we have become.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Time will tell.

I accept that we simply must win the Cyprus and Kazkhstan games but as it stands I remain behind the manager.

Strachan made stupid mistakes at crucial moments totally, but its night and day. He also played Belgium at Hampden and got beat 2-0 but the nature of defeat was completely different to last month.  He also once took a centre half pairing of Hanley and Martin to Croatia and got a result. Theres no signs whatsoever Clarke is capable of doing any of this.

Big crowd from Renfrewshire heading to city centre after San Marino game.  Kilts and San Marino tops pizza and grappa all welcome.  I would like to see a forward thinking manager Clark has always managed teams that were in a struggle hence the deep defensive tactics lets go gung ho we have a great midfield and decent forwards but shit defence so why sit in and defend....Big Duncan Ferguson for me lets shake it up a bit.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Strachan made stupid mistakes at crucial moments totally, but its night and day. He also played Belgium at Hampden and got beat 2-0 but the nature of defeat was completely different to last month.  He also once took a centre half pairing of Hanley and Martin to Croatia and got a result. Theres no signs whatsoever Clarke is capable of doing any of this.

Would you like us to just sack the gaffer every six months then ?

4 minutes ago, mentalist said:

What Clarke was able to do as a club manager can't be replicated at International level due to not having the time to work with the players. If a player is an International he should be able to do the basics right, without intensive coaching. That's the biggest problem for me the players, especially at the back, aren't good enough. I think Clarke in a club setting would improve them but that's not the scenario here. I'm not giving up on him yet, but saying he got average players to perform at a high level at Kilmarnock is not comparable to the job he has now. 

I think there's probably a lot of truth in what you've said.  Most of us wanted Clarke, none of us thought it would be an overnight transformation. It's unfortunate we've come up against one of the top teams in the world and another pretty decent one.  Goodness knows what he's learnt since he's been in charge, except what a massive job he's got on his hands.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would you like us to just sack the gaffer every six months then ?

Och I why not...lol   Clarke is a moany boring lump of manure.....bring in big Dunc lets kick ass, headbut and stop sitting in our penalty box.   Joking aside we can qualify through nations league but sitting back is not going to work.

13 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some people have started to romanticise Strachan's time in charge but forget how shite his last twelve months were. He lost the plot.

His last 12 months were the best results and performances we had for years. Undefeated in seven. At the time (two failed campaigns) I wanted him out too. In hindsight, we maybe emptied him too early. 

There’s a mentality problem with the players. That’s the biggest challenge. When you see a team capitulate like that it’s not about their ability, coaching or tactics. 

Our players are no world beaters but should be performing better than that. I can’t see that Clarke is to blame but it’s him that has to turn it around and get them competitive again. 

This goes far deeper than the manager or the players.

As stated in my SFA thread, this collapse has been 30 years in the making. Truth is, NO ONE who has any clout in Scottish football wants the national team to improve.

Cut to a week and people will all be drooling over Forrest and McGregor ripping to shreds teams that are 22 times less valuable than the Celtic team, etc.

Just now, McTeeko said:

His last 12 months were the best results and performances we had for years. Undefeated in seven. At the time (two failed campaigns) I wanted him out too. In hindsight, we maybe emptied him too early. 

Within those last 12 months we got horsed 3-0 away to Slovakia and then couldn’t get the result we needed away to Slovenia.

It was hardly progress from the previous group where we shat it away to Poland and didn’t have a go at a poor Ireland team in Dublin. 

It was right for Strachan to go but the lack of plan from the SFA and terrible appointment of McLeish has taken us into a terrible place. Clarke has to pick up the pieces now and the jury is out. 

8 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ill tell you after the Cyprus game

You should look at how Michael O'Neil's first twelve-eighteen months were with NI.

After that, when he had brought in X amount of players and dropped Y amount of players and worked out his system, the results started coming.

6 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Strachan said himself that he was tired and had taken the team as far as he could. He had no more ideas left.

It was time to go.

If the SFA had agreed to Michael O'Neil's demands for more control over the whole set up and had they not arrogantly boasted to the press how it was almost a done deal. He might have taken over and done good work.

Unfortunately we ended up appointing Johnny Walker Ltd's best customer as his replacement which was the height of negligence from the SFA.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Personally I wanted Strachan to stay because I liked how we played under him and he as you said we got decent results in the last 12 months of his tenure. If Clarke eventually gets sacked then I would happy take Strachan back. I am pretty sure He even hinted recently that he would come back if asked.

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Time will tell.

I accept that we simply must win the Cyprus and Kazkhstan games but as it stands I remain behind the manager.

Tell has he’s not cut out for international management has he moved us on? Does he have an idea of a starting 11? Is he better than wgs? No to all!

8 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

In complete agreement with your post. I wanted him gone, but I was wrong. 

Strachan was bizarre, started well, dipped in the middle, and ended strong. Hindsight is a bastard.