Shankland Call Up? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shankland Call Up?

Guest ElChris04

Should Shankland be Called Up For The Next Set Of Games?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one :

• Aye, Worth The Punt Now
    • Naw, Not Convinced

This poll is closed to new votes

56 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

So Shankland has been called up!

Brilliant news, extremely happy with this.It shows Clarke will give players a chance of there doing everything they can at club level regardless of the league. Exactly why I made this thread yesterday, As I mentioned McGinn had the same path so why shouldn’t Shankland not be allowed the same? Simple he should and it’s exactly why he’s been called up. Hopefully now we’ll see the same blue print with Him like McGinn had. 

Nathan Austin has 21 in 11 games.

McGinn had nowhere near the same path.

What "blue print" did McGinn have?

23 hours ago, AndyDD said:

With Shankland, it probably does no harm to bring him in and have a wee look. 

I wouldn't be starting him in Moscow or anything mad like that. But there's no harm in bringing him in to the squad and seeing how he measures up whilst training with players that are a cut (or two, or three, or four) above what he has ever played with or against before. 

The chief reason for me is, if he is at a higher level come March, wouldn't it be nice for Clarke to have had a look and gotten to know the lad a bit, and for the squad to have gotten to know him a bit, before then? Especially if our striking options continue to be so impoverished at that stage. It does no harm if he's in ahead of, say, Naismith, who looks to still be injured so won't be any point calling him up anyway. Who else should be filling that space? Griffiths looks likely to be out again. We are looking at Mcburnie, Phillips, Burke, I guess Russel. and then any other. The Mcguire guy from Sunderland? Chris Martin? 

I'll no be greeting if (when) he isn't included, but I don't think there's any reason to be bealin about it if he does get included. Albeit I think the comparison with McGinn is unfair.  It was also clear that McGinn was going to go above even the top scottish league. Shankland might well do this but I think it's far less obviously so. I would argue he looks more likely to be an spl striker for a team who will be aiming for top six. As you would expect his current team to be when (if) they get back up. Besides, wasn't Mcginn initially called up for friendlies?Tempting though it may be to see these as such, we need to sue these to build momentum and cohesion ahead of March. Now is not the time to dish caps out for the sake of it. I expect Clarke to name a squad that is largely made up of the same faces as he has used thus far. 

This is just full of sense.

We should not kid ourselves, there is no way Shankland would be getting called up if it weren't for availability issues. In his conference Clarke mentioned that Phillips is getting an op so is not available. That, plus Fletcher's retirement, Griffiths' continuing injury woes and the desire to let the Under 21s keep Hornby for now (surely has to change if he keeps playing games in the Belgian top flight) is the reason Shankland has gotten in there. 

That being said, good to see a sensible decision that costs us nothing. There is no fit and available striker that he is keeping out, so there is absolutely zero reason I can think to complain, unless you are arguing that Hornby should be promoted now (I would call him up but I can appreciate the reasoning behind letting the under-21 side continue their promising start). 

It's no ideal, of course, and we would all expect a very different selection of forwards if injury and availability was not a barrier, but there is literally no risk factor at all in having a look at the guy. 

O’Donnell 😑 how on earth is he still there. Even with Steve Clarke’s most Kilmarnocky specs on that’s complete madness after how he’s played.

No Scotland player can be criticised on performance in a Scotland jersey while he is somehow in the squad.

Flabbergasting. 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

So Shankland has been called up!

Brilliant news, extremely happy with this.It shows Clarke will give players a chance of there doing everything they can at club level regardless of the league. Exactly why I made this thread yesterday, As I mentioned McGinn had the same path so why shouldn’t Shankland not be allowed the same? Simple he should and it’s exactly why he’s been called up. Hopefully now we’ll see the same blue print with Him like McGinn had. 

You keep mentioning shankland being the same as McGinn, others have demonstrated their paths were different, you've even agreed with them but you keep repeating they are the same.

Anyway, good luck to shankland, if he steps up and becomes our number one striker we will all be happy.

Edited by vanderark14

Guest ElChris04
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

You keep mentioning shankland being the same as McGinn, others have demonstrated their paths were different, you've even agreed with them but you keep repeating they are the same.

Anyway, good luck to shankland, if he steps up and becomes our number one striker we will all be happy.

I’m only comparing them being in the same league. Completely different players. Yes Strachan said it was done to his outstanding performances in the U21’s, and I get that, but at the end of the day he was still on form in the championship. In that perspective form wise Shankland is no different. And at least Clarke has giving him a chance to see if he can deal with a higher level.

I’ve no issue with him being included however it’s a telling sign of where we are when we are calling up a championship player to put the ball in the net.

We are so bad it’s beyond embarrassment. Still, however, there’s plenty who claim we should be attending championship finals. 

I’ve no issue with Shankland being in, I do think it is a massive step up from the championship.

I would question how Shankland can be good enough now, but Turnbull wasn’t considered ready back in June.

I also thought Declan Gallagher was in with a shout given the alternative options at the back.

17 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I’ve no issue with him being included however it’s a telling sign of where we are when we are calling up a championship player to put the ball in the net.

We are so bad it’s beyond embarrassment. Still, however, there’s plenty who claim we should be attending championship finals. 

World Cups? Probably not ; but we should be qualifying or knocking on the door of qualifying for Euros. A dodgy defence and don't score goals ; but Albania, Iceland and NI all have qualified in recent years.

23 minutes ago, macy37 said:

If we have a team with representation from Chelsea, Man Utd, Aston Villa, Arsenal, and Liverpool plus another 5 EPL teams, I think we ought to be at a championship, don’t you? 

Edited by er yir macaroon

No one is mentioning Shankland's age. I'm not suggesting that 24 is too old to be including players, and Scotland is a nation famous for late-bloomers, but, playing in the Championship at 24 needs to be taken into account. He's not a youngster anymore.

Saying that, in my opinion, he is playing at a level much lower than he should be. It made sense for him to be there last year to resurrect his career, but he should be in a top 6 SPFL team right now, demonstrating his abilities. Unfortunately, because of where he plays, he is still a question mark

5 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

World Cups? Probably not ; but we should be qualifying or knocking on the door of qualifying for Euros. A dodgy defence and don't score goals ; but Albania, Iceland and NI all have qualified in recent years.

Iceland have near world class players in some areas & all those team listed have far better managers than we have had for the past 10 + years. 

Sound of things it looks like its because we are without Phillips and Griffiths is not ready yet..... so ultimately he is taking up the role that someone like Brophy found himself in a few months back, in that he is a striker who is scoring, but asking a lot for him to step in to be the main striker.

I suspect its just through no option, and maybe a degree of Clarke assuming Dundee United will get promoted this season and thus come Nations League games in 2020, he will have seen him first hand.

McBurnie will probably most likely start the next two games and Shankland might see 5 minutes of so v San Marino after Johnny Russell has came on to get his token cap for traveling half way around the world to play for us.

32 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Iceland have near world class players in some areas & all those team listed have far better managers than we have had for the past 10 + years. 

Who? Gylfi? He's a very good player, but apart from that, their squad is fairly average. Kàri Arnason is at the heart of their defence.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Nathan Austin has 21 in 11 games.

McGinn had nowhere near the same path.

What "blue print" did McGinn have?

The blue print McGinn had was he got called up from the championship even despite his good performances for the U21 and proved he was able to play at that level. That’s the blue print Shankland should be aiming for.

Also have no clue why you’ve brought up a player who’s playing in the lowland leagues... which if I’m not wrong is 3 leagues below what Shankland is in... absolutely diabolical compression to bring him up. 

Edited by ElChris04

Is Shankland good enough? No probably not. 
But I’d rather give him a go that try Ollie McFud etc. Yes he only plays against Championship teams, but going on recent performances of players with caps, can he really be any worse? I’d say no. 
Who knows, he might actually be decent, and the players who don’t want called up won’t be needed again. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we have a team with representation from Chelsea, Man Utd, Aston Villa, Arsenal, and Liverpool plus another 5 EPL teams, I think we ought to be at a championship, don’t you? 

No. The quality of these players are not good. 

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd have called up Chris Martin.  

That’s either the worst fishing post ever, or the most moronic post on here, and that includes independence, brexit and roasted cheese posts. 

Chris Martin is a fucking dire excuse for a football player, he makes McBurnie look like Messi. 

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The comparison is that, both Austin and Shankland play at a shite level of fitba, and they are both goalscorers at their level. 

Thank you!

Some eejit earlier on this thread made a post stating "regardless of league". No idea who that was but for the OP to knock my suggestion of Fash Austin back means it can't possibly have been him.