Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Just now, SWMM82 said:

This is a point I was going to make...... no one is suggesting we are on the verge of a “golden generation” of players...... but surely with the squad at our disposal now and coming through in the next few years, we should AT LEAST qualify for something. Worse international squads have qualified for major tournaments in the past. Would help if we had a real talisman, a big game player who can produce big moments. We’ve really missed that.

Fraser can do that. He's a terrific player. 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Fraser can do that. He's a terrific player. 

Very good player.....but hasn’t produced any real “talismanic” moments yet.... a la Faddy against France. 

If we had seen out the England game at Hampden then you could say Griffith’s was the last one to do so!

Edited by SWMM82

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

This is a point I was going to make...... no one is suggesting we are on the verge of a “golden generation” of players...... but surely with the squad at our disposal now and coming through in the next few years, we should AT LEAST qualify for something. Worse international squads have qualified for major tournaments in the past. Would help if we had a real talisman, a big game player who can produce big moments. We’ve really missed that.

The midfield is surely no worse than the options that came so close in 2007 surely....Ferguson, Fletcher, McCulloch, Brown, Hartley. Only one there who was ahead was Fletch and he was still a squad player (in better Man. United team of course) so same as McTom.

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

The midfield is surely no worse than the options that came so close in 2007 surely....Ferguson, Fletcher, McCulloch, Brown, Hartley. Only one there who was ahead was Fletch and he was still a squad player (in better Man. United team of course) so same as McTom.

Ok. I'm not having that.

Ferguson, Fletcher and to a smaller extent Brown have been our best midfielders for almost two decades. 

Ferguson reached the Uefa cup final and Fletcher won everything there is to win in England as well as the European cup.

In comparison, McGregor, Christie and McGinn have done absolutely zilch. Two of them play in the equivalent of the English Championship/league one and regularly get clobbered in Europe and McGinn hasn't played a second in England's top flight yet.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

33 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Ok. I'm not having that.

Ferguson, Fletcher and to a smaller extent Brown have been our best midfielders for almost two decades. 

Ferguson reached the Uefa cup final and Fletcher won everything there is to win in England as well as the European cup.

In comparison, McGregor, Christie and McGinn have done absolutely zilch. Two of them play in the equivalent of the English Championship/league one and regularly get clobbered in Europe and McGinn hasn't played a second in England's top flight yet.

Stupid to compare achievements of players who are close to retiring or already retired to players who’s careers at the top end of the game have just begun. Maybe in a decades time we will be saying the same about Christie, McGinn and mcgregor.

One thing I do like about the aforementioned three is they all score goals. Brown fletcher and Ferguson were solid but never renowned for their goal scoring. 

We don’t NEED world class players to qualify for major tournaments...... we have good players.....and a few very good players to choose from. Plenty of potential in others. And with some organisation and the right coaching, they can get us to a major championship, no doubt. 

Edited by SWMM82

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Stupid to compare achievements of players who are close to retiring or already retired to players who’s careers at the top end of the game have just begun. Maybe in a decades time we will be saying the same about Christie, McGinn and McGregor.

One thing I do like about the aforementioned three is they all score goals. Brown fletcher and Ferguson were solid but never renowned for their goal scoring. 

I remember Brown, Ferguson and Fletcher at the same age as McGregor, Christie and McGinn (McGregor is 26) and there's no doubt that Brown, Ferguson and Fletcher were superior.

Yes, they sure do score goals against teams that have no folding spending money. Would they score in La Liga, Serie A or the EPL?

Probably not.

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

We don’t NEED world class players to qualify for major tournaments...... we have good players.....and a few very good players to choose from. And with some organisation and the right coaching, they can get us to a major championship, no doubt. 

That's the problem, we DON'T have good players. Robertson is world class, McTominay and Tierney and Fraser are very good. 

The rest are average. 

I wish we have at least four good players to link with the aforementioned four, at least then we'd have a chance. At present, we struggle against most teams.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

That's the problem, we DON'T have good players. Robertson is world class, McTominay and Tierney and Fraser are very good. 

The rest are average. 

I wish we have at least four good players to link with the aforementioned four, at least then we'd have a chance. At present, we struggle against most teams.

We have better players than that.... Forrest, McGregor and Christie are all good players, albeit in a poor league.

But in any case, we have no worse quality of player than Northern Ireland, ROI, Iceland, Albania or even Wales collectively yet they have qualified for major tournaments in recent years. That is the point I am making. 

12 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The rest are average. 

Your definition of World Class is obviously different from mine,. While I think he's a very good player - our best probably - I wouldn't describe Robertson is World Class.  The last truly World Class player we've had was probably Souness.  

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Your definition of World Class is obviously different from mine,. While I think he's a very good player - our best probably - I wouldn't describe Robertson is World Class.  The last truly World Class player we've had was probably Souness.  

Agreed. The term “World class” is banded about too much..... I would go as far back as Dalglish! 

Step up young Billy Gilmour!

24 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Agreed. The term “World class” is banded about too much..... I would go as far back as Dalglish! 

Step up young Billy Gilmour!

Dalglish certainly. I think Souness in the early to mid 80s when he was Liverpool captain and they were the dominant team in Europe you could make a case for.

42 minutes ago, aaid said:

Robertson is probably a world class left back, but it's the least important position on the field which explains why he is only worth a couple of quid more that McBurnie.

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Ok. I'm not having that.

Well if criteria is to be good midfielders must be picked up by top 6-7 clubs in England then Ferguson never passed that test. Blackburn were only mid table when he played for them (think they finished 6th or 7th year after he went back to Rangers). Brown good for Celtic but never attempted to come down to England (can only remember Reading and WBA wanting him). Mcullouch and Hartley as much regulars as those ones anyway.

As you say though 90s were gold standard of recent times. Paul Lambert regular for Dortumund when they won european cup, John Collins key player of Monaco team that got to semi finals in 1998 and Gary Mac still being a regular at Liverpool at age of 37.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Robertson is probably a world class left back, but it's the least important position on the field which explains why he is only worth a couple of quid more that McBurnie.

Out of interest, what would be your definition of a world class player. 

Just now, aaid said:

Out of interest, what would be your definition of a world class player. 

Would need to be able to play for any team or country of his generation with out making that team weaker.

Very hard to be objective though with out about 8 years worth of form so I revise Robertson to "looks world class" or "currently playing world class"

So basically not world class. Probably easier to use the term in the past sense unless you are Messi on Ronaldo/

I do think some people under use world class and apply it only to iconic players.