Jump to content
SkyBlueScot

Scottish players in action 19/20

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Be interesting to see how many goals he bags this year if he stays injury free. Off to a belting start. Will be very important this year.

He's fast becoming our best player IMO.

Big player for Scotland too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Christie is turning into a cracking player. 

He has a great first touch and eye for goal. Should think about playing at a higher level a year from now. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's fast becoming our best player IMO.

Big player for Scotland too. 

agreed

one of the first names on the team sheet for me if he picks up where he left last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's fast becoming our best player IMO.

Big player for Scotland too. 

Hold on.

He played well against the champions of Estonia, not PSG or Barcelona.

Christie is decent, same with McGregor and Forrest. Let's not reward players with undeserved praise for playing well against teams with 500 capacity stadiums.

Scotland fans have a bad habit of hyping up players. Then on international duty those same players chase shadows against the likes of Israel and Kazakhstan.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Hold on.

He played well against the champions of Estonia, not PSG or Barcelona.

Christie is decent, same with McGregor and Forrest. Let's not reward players with undeserved praise for playing well against teams with 500 capacity stadiums.

Scotland fans have a bad habit of hyping up players. Then on international duty those same players chase shadows against the likes of Israel and Kazakhstan.

I can't speak for PM but I am basing my own opinion of him having watched him grown into a brilliant player from ICT to Celtic to Aberdeen and back to celtic. Before his injury I thought he was one of the best scottish players around and I think he will flourish this season.

I doubt anyone else is basing their opinion off the back of one CL qualifier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't speak for PM but I am basing my own opinion of him having watched him grown into a brilliant player from ICT to Celtic to Aberdeen and back to celtic. Before his injury I thought he was one of the best scottish players around and I think he will flourish this season.

I doubt anyone else is basing their opinion off the back of one CL qualifier

I just know how much better Celtic and Scotland look when he is playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't speak for PM but I am basing my own opinion of him having watched him grown into a brilliant player from ICT to Celtic to Aberdeen and back to celtic. Before his injury I thought he was one of the best scottish players around and I think he will flourish this season.

I doubt anyone else is basing their opinion off the back of one CL qualifier

The jury is still out, in my opinion, as it is with the vast majority of our players.

As we speak McTominay is bossing the Spurs midfield, including making a Scholes like pass in the first 8 mins and then muscling Sissoko (sp?) off the ball.

Now almost an assist.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People say "you can only beat what's in front of you", but that's wrong. My point of view, players and teams should only be judged by how they perform against peers, not theirs inferiors.

Rangers best a team 6:0, Celtic do it 5:0, but who gives a crap.

The United vs Spurs game is a friendly, but it's not very friendly. McTominay stepped in (and stood up to Kane) when James was stamped on. He's not afraid to stick up for his team-mates, which bodes well for his Scotland team-mates.

Listening to him being interviewed before the match he seems very level-headed and articulate. A lot of United fans think he's captain material, I would agree.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

agreed

one of the first names on the team sheet for me if he picks up where he left last season

Back to the old problem of were does he fit into a Scotland formation, to be one off the first names on the team sheet suggests that there is a slot he can fit into ahead of one of the players all ready there or we settle on a formation.

Could play 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 I suppose and leave out the likes of McGregor,Armstrong and McGinn. That's assuming we keep McTominay and McLean in as a defensive part of a central midfield.  With Fraser and Forest any thing else would look far too attacking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McT first named midfielder if he's first pick for Man U this season. He's playing at the highest level from what I see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Back to the old problem of were does he fit into a Scotland formation, to be one off the first names on the team sheet suggests that there is a slot he can fit into ahead of one of the players all ready there or we settle on a formation.

Could play 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 I suppose and leave out the likes of McGregor,Armstrong and McGinn. That's assuming we keep McTominay and McLean in as a defensive part of a central midfield.  With Fraser and Forest any thing else would look far too attacking.

 

I think Christie will exceed all three of the attacking midfielders you mention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our centre midfield options are quite impressive, in both defensive and attacking sense. Not getting too carried away though.

Mctominay, Mcgregor and Christie are surely first choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Our centre midfield options are quite impressive, in both defensive and attacking sense. Not getting too carried away though.

Mctominay, Mcgregor and Christie are surely first choice.

A lot of it boils down to the usual "how good id the SPL" argument. Need to see what McLean and McGinn and Armstrong for that matter are capable of in the EPL. as well as Christie in hopefully the champions league or at least the group stages of the Europa League.

I really rate Christie so hopefully he can prove himself against the big boys.

This is not a thread to compare leagues before some one starts. (we all know who I mean)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Our centre midfield options are quite impressive, in both defensive and attacking sense. Not getting too carried away though.

Mctominay, Mcgregor and Christie are surely first choice.

No. Our midfield options are probably as bad as it's ever been.

We only have one midfielder playing for a top club. The rest are making a living for teams that win nothing (apart from the Celtic players that win tin-pot trophies).

I mean, how many players (apart from the Celtic players) win trophies, or are in the running to win trophies? Robertson and McTominay. Two players is pretty dire.

And as far as an anchorman goes, we have no one on the horizon. The only one we have is McRorie and he's in, what, league one, for the season ahead? Not exactly anything to be optimistic about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No. Our midfield options are probably as bad as it's ever been.

We only have one midfielder playing for a top club. The rest are making a living for teams that win nothing (apart from the Celtic players that win tin-pot trophies).

I mean, how many players (apart from the Celtic players) win trophies, or are in the running to win trophies? Robertson and McTominay. Two players is pretty dire.

And as far as an anchorman goes, we have no one on the horizon. The only one we have is McRorie and he's in, what, league one, for the season ahead? Not exactly anything to be optimistic about.

I don't think winning trophies matters too much. Performing at a high level week in week out does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Our centre midfield options are quite impressive, in both defensive and attacking sense. Not getting too carried away though.

Mctominay, Mcgregor and Christie are surely first choice.

McGregor on borrowed time with Gilmour on the horizon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I don't think winning trophies matters too much. Performing at a high level week in week out does.

If a player wins trophies it means he's with a big club (small clubs win trophies, but it's rare) and because of this it means that he's a top player.

Plus it breeds a winning mentality.

Top countries have tons of players winning trophies. It's no coincidence.

I mean, look at Armstrong and McGinn. Those two are EPL players and there's a percentage of us that wouldn't have them in our starting 11.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If a player wins trophies it means he's with a big club (small clubs win trophies, but it's rare) and because of this it means that he's a top player.

Plus it breeds a winning mentality.

Top countries have tons of players winning trophies. It's no coincidence.

I mean, look at Armstrong and McGinn. Those two are EPL players and there's a percentage of us that wouldn't have them in our starting 11.

And Kenny maclean would because he won a championship trophy??

What happens half way through the season when nobodies won anything?? 

Edited by bigfingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

And Kenny maclean would because he won a championship trophy??

I said a trophy that isn't a tin-pot trophy: A league title from a credible league, a cup from a credible league or a European Trophy.

Do you think the English Championship is a top league? Kenny McLean will probably get relegated this season, so does that answer your question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No. Our midfield options are probably as bad as it's ever been.

We only have one midfielder playing for a top club. The rest are making a living for teams that win nothing (apart from the Celtic players that win tin-pot trophies).

I mean, how many players (apart from the Celtic players) win trophies, or are in the running to win trophies? Robertson and McTominay. Two players is pretty dire.

And as far as an anchorman goes, we have no one on the horizon. The only one we have is McRorie and he's in, what, league one, for the season ahead? Not exactly anything to be optimistic about.

Out of curiosity is it better to win trophies you are expected to win (McGregor) or not win trophies you are expected to win (McTominay)?

Not sure were you are going on this thread you seem to be saying all our players are rubbish and we shouldn't pick any of them.

McLean plays as an anchorman and so can McTominay. We will find out how good McLean is this season, feel free to say he will be found out, it's the percentage shot, but stop writing players off.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Out of curiosity is it better to win trophies you are expected to win (McGregor) or not win trophies you are expected to win (McTominay)?

Not sure were you are going on this thread you seem to be saying all our players are rubbish and we shouldn't pick any of them.

McLean plays as an anchorman and so can McTominay. We will find out how good McLean is this season, feel free to say he will be found out, it's the percentage shot, but stop writing players off.

It depends. We can't really talk about Scottish football in the context of winning trophies. Celtic are coming up against teams that rely on free transfers (barring Rangers), so it would be a miracle if they weren't in the mix to win the treble. 

I'm definitely saying that 99% of our players are rubbish, unfortunately, not picking any of them isn't an option.

McLean plays as an anchorman? I'll take your word for it, I didn't watch Norwich once last season. Bang goes the "Players can't play in more than one position" theory. I'm not writing McLean off, if Arfield,, McArthur, Snodgrass, etc, can forge a career in the EPL then Mclean certainly can... he just won't win anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Google it.

You counting a competition Man Utd made 11 changes at half time in today? That has to be the worst cherry you have ever picked to substantiate your argument.

I googled it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...