Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 217 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Who scored gave him man of the match too.

Watched the game and despite Cairney being on the losing side, I wish he had all Callum McGregor's caps

Nah, was a big Cairney fan until his last stint in the premier league. Technically brilliant but lacks intensity and isn’t positive enough in the right areas. McGregor is similar but has much more energy. 

35 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Nah, was a big Cairney fan until his last stint in the premier league. Technically brilliant but lacks intensity and isn’t positive enough in the right areas. McGregor is similar but has much more energy. 

Energy? You mean, the energy to pass it backwards and sideways? Cairney is, and always been, far better than McGregor.

McGregor reminds me of Jess Lingard. They're wirey and they look energetic, but they don't actually do anything.

Lingard is a joks figure at Man United, McGregor would be, too, if a big club bought him.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Energy? You mean, the energy to pass it backwards and sideways? Cairney is, and always been, far better than McGregor.

McGregor reminds me of Jess Lingard. They're wirey and they look energetic, but they don't actually do anything.

Lingard is a joks figure at Man United, McGregor would be, too, if a big club bought him.

honestly, everything you say I don’t agree with.  I’m no big fan of mcgregor but to say he would be a joke is ludicrous.  He would be a decent low mid table epl midfielder.  Whether he is good enough to be a starter for Scotland is debatable. But your superlative views on players is what is really the joke.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

honestly, everything you say I don’t agree with.  I’m no big fan of mcgregor but to say he would be a joke is ludicrous.  He would be a decent low mid table epl midfielder.  Whether he is good enough to be a starter for Scotland is debatable. But your superlative views on players is what is really the joke.

I now have him on ignore...but still see his posts through quotes! 

Agree. McGregor is clearly a good player, tidy in possession, gets stuck in, knows when to progress the ball and chips in with goals and assists. But he hasn’t played the way we can for Scotland and seems to have stagnated at Celtic. He should be pushing on, been disappointed with him over the last year and a bit. 

He’s probably at mid-table EPL level, remember Crystal Palace play McArthur and McCarthy as their centre midfielders. 

Cairney isn’t at that level. He looks amazing when on form/playing poorer teams but is found out against decent opposition. 

Cairney’s passing success is always around 90%, like McGregor, as they both prefer the easier pass. McGregor just has more to his game.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Dude, I said that he would be a joke figure if a top team signed him. When you said that he was would be decent for a low mod epl team, you agree with me.

Would he be a joke figure at a team like Crystal Palace or Burnley? No. Would he be a joke figure at Arsenal of Man City? Without a doubt.

Edited by Taylor1996

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Who scored gave him man of the match too.

Watched the game and despite Cairney being on the losing side, I wish he had all Callum McGregor's caps

That was Strachan's fault. He didn't rate Cairney but he did rate Bannan :blink:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That was Strachan's fault. He didn't rate Cairney but he did rate Bannan :blink:

That's actually a good point.

If Barry Bannan (who very few of us rate) was at Celtic, he'd look every bit the player that McGregor does. 

Fact is, if a player is at Celtic and Rangers, and they're clearly too good for the SPL, a team will buy him. It happened with Tierney, Dembele, Van Dijk, Robertson, etc. The fact that players like Forrest and McGregor are still languishing in the SPL should be enough to gauge that no one outside Scotland rates them. It's the same with Ryan Christie.

Scouts are everywhere and teams are looking at players 24/7. Nowadays, If players spend their entire careers in a mediocre league, there's a reason. 

5 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I now have him on ignore...but still see his posts through quotes! 

Agree. McGregor is clearly a good player, tidy in possession, gets stuck in, knows when to progress the ball and chips in with goals and assists. But he hasn’t played the way we can for Scotland and seems to have stagnated at Celtic. He should be pushing on, been disappointed with him over the last year and a bit. 

He’s probably at mid-table EPL level, remember Crystal Palace play McArthur and McCarthy as their centre midfielders. 

Cairney isn’t at that level. He looks amazing when on form/playing poorer teams but is found out against decent opposition. 

Cairney’s passing success is always around 90%, like McGregor, as they both prefer the easier pass. McGregor just has more to his game.

I would like to see.christie and mcgregor move to the EPL to test themselves against better opposition. 

I am getting to the point where we need our players moving to better leagues earlier in their carreer or at least get to the english championship as a stepping stone earlier. 

Youve made the right decision putting chripper on ignore. The more people adding him to their ignore list , the better this section will be. 

9 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Very happy with McGinn's energy and fitness tonight. 

Still making lung burstin' forward runs in the last few minutes... 

Mcginn has a real test on his hands next week. He played the worst team in that league last night, next week its the top dogs. 

Hopefully he puts in another good display