Team for forthcoming matches - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Name them

Lithuania at home, Slovakia away and England away are all good places to start. There's a reason he got bombed out the starting line up in favour of Berra and Mulgrew last campaign. His last game against Costa Rica he done nothing but show he still controls a football like a hot potato! Hendry comes in next game against Hungary and makes more impression in one game than Hanley has managed in any of his previous caps.

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Wasn’t Hanley at fault for Gibraltar’s goal?

may be making that up because I hate him 😂

I would say Anya was more at fault because he lost his man and to gift them a clear chance to score (the idea to play ONLY 3 at the back did not help either)

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Craig Levein letting it be known that John Souttar has an Australian granny...

CL was on the wind up.

He won't want Souttar playing for Australia, he is looking for him to get into the Scotland team so it would increase his value when he gets sold in 6-12 months time.

Scotland do this with CBs:

1) big them up as the new best option for the next 10 years - yay!

2) give them a run of 10-20 caps

3) hang them out to dry for making mistakes (they're no perfect, shock, horror!)

4) dump them aged 25/26 and bring in the next prospect or the previously dumped hero who has been out on the international fringes for a few years

5) rinse and repeat

It happened to Berra (dumped for Hanley, 4 or so years in the international wilderness, then brought back in), Hanley (dumped a few years ago and now being hailed as the best option) and now it's happening already to Hendry. All defenders make mistakes at every level. The key is to identify class underneath those mistakes and try to coach and see the player through them. Hendry definitely has the class - strong, tall, speedy and clinical in the tackle (when he's on the correct side of the defence, at least).

Stick with him and McKenna or watch the same old cycle of chop-and-change/little overall progression continue.

5 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

3) hang them out to dry for making mistakes (they're no perfect, shock, horror!)

4) dump them aged 25/26 and bring in the next prospect or the previously dumped hero who has been out on the international fringes for a few years

5) rinse and repeat

It happened to Berra (dumped for Hanley, 4 or so years in the international wilderness, then brought back in), Hanley (dumped a few years ago and now being hailed as the best option) and now it's happening already to Hendry. All defenders make mistakes at every level. The key is to identify class underneath those mistakes and try to coach and see the player through them. Hendry definitely has the class - strong, tall, speedy and clinical in the tackle (when he's on the correct side of the defence, at least).

Stick with him and McKenna or watch the same old cycle of chop-and-change/little overall progression continue.

McKenna and Souttar are better than Hanley for me for sure 

18 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McKenna and Souttar are better than Hanley for me for sure 

Tbf alot of ppl had high hopes of Hanley when he was 22. he was captaining Blackburn in the championship and was starting for Scotland. In another 5 years we might be saying the same of McKenna and souttar if they end up having bad games which Hanley had. Tbf souttar and McKenna are not playing at a higher level than Hanley was at that age and I have seen both have terrible games so it's not fair to suggest they are defo better than hanley was at 21. I ain't much a fan of Hanley either before anyone thinks I am saying he's the answer 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf alot of ppl had high hopes of Hanley when he was 22. he was captaining Blackburn in the championship and was starting for Scotland. In another 5 years we might be saying the same of McKenna and souttar if they end up having bad games which Hanley had. Tbf souttar and McKenna are not playing at a higher level than Hanley was at that age and I have seen both have terrible games so it's not fair to suggest they are defo better than hanley was at 21. I ain't much a fan of Hanley either before anyone thinks I am saying he's the answer 

Hanley is fine when he’s playing first team football.

6 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

5) rinse and repeat

Totally ageee regarding Hendry. To say he is rubbish is stupid. He has most of the ingredients, bar the game time. Tall, lighting quick and good on the ball.There is the aspect of defenders instinct, but centre halves don’t express that until their mid 20s.

Edited by er yir macaroon

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Totally ageee regarding Hendry. To say he is rubbish is stupid. He has most of the ingredients, bar the game time. Tall, lighting quick and good on the ball.There is the aspect of defenders instinct, but centre halves don’t express that until their mid 20s.

Plus he played very well on his debut and looked solid.

Many players have 20 odd caps and have yet to have a good game; Forrest, Hanley etc! 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, hannibal smith said:

CL was on the wind up.

He won't want Souttar playing for Australia, he is looking for him to get into the Scotland team so it would increase his value when he gets sold in 6-12 months time.

Craig levein is doing the right thing... he is pushing to make his player an i international.  Frankly it would be embarrassing beyond belief if Souttar ended up playing door Australia ahead of us.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, ProudScot said:

Wasn’t Hanley at fault for Gibraltar’s goal?

may be making that up because I hate him 😂

I missed Gibraltar’s goal as I went for a slash after our first goal and still haven’t seen it. 

Heard it was a cracker of a strike though. 

I could easily believe Hanley was to blame for it except for one tiny detail. He wasn’t playing. 

I don’t even think he was on the bench that day. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:25 PM, wanderer said:

I would say Anya was more at fault because he lost his man and to gift them a clear chance to score (the idea to play ONLY 3 at the back did not help either)

Anya was certainly more likely to be at fault since Hanley wasn’t playing. 

Martin was the centre half wasn’t he?

On 8/24/2018 at 11:58 AM, adamntg said:

Craig Levein letting it be known that John Souttar has an Australian granny...

Levein is a grade A arse.

I don’t think for a minute that Souttar would play for Australia ahead of Scotland (unless he’s totally ignored by us).

He’s in the U21 squad so it’s not as if he doesn’t have a future with the senior team. 

In all honesty though he should be in the squad for Belgium/Albania. 

The U21s have 2 important qualifiers coming up so I can understand why he has been selected for those games. Particularly if McLeish has already decided on his central defence and Souttar isn’t one of his preferred centre backs. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t promoted to the senior team before the games through. Depends on injuries and the like I suppose. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:25 PM, BucksburnDandy said:

Have to admit I am not a fan of Grant Hanley either. Far too slow and cumbersome for my liking. Doesn't read a game well enough to make up for it at international level.

He’s not slow. Like others with  McBurnie, you’re making assumptions based on his appearance. 

Edited by er yir macaroon