Team for forthcoming matches - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

8 minutes ago, Doric said:

What about up front McBurnie !!!!!!! We were worried about the defence now up front is as bad. Griffiths has lost his touch and the alternative is errrrr Mc Burnie.

If he plays a back three the midfield is just as much of a worry as the defence, up front and our chance of qualifying

41 minutes ago, Doric said:

What about up front McBurnie !!!!!!! We were worried about the defence now up front is as bad. Griffiths has lost his touch and the alternative is errrrr Mc Burnie.

To be fair on the big lad, 3 goals in 5 league matches is a reasonable start to the season. 

The distribution of talent across the pitch is still worrying though. Maybe we should throw Tierney or Robertson up front... 

28 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

To be fair on the big lad, 3 goals in 5 league matches is a reasonable start to the season. 

The distribution of talent across the pitch is still worrying though. Maybe we should throw Tierney or Robertson up front... 

9 goals in his last 16 games last season was pretty good too.

Strikers have to be in form,Griffiths isn't.

Johnny Russell is also in form and creates chances as well as scores them and would be good in behind McBurnie.

Phillips is on fire at right midfield as is Fraser on the left at the moment, Mcginn and Cairney seem pretty solid choices in central midfield'

Robertson picks himself at left back with O'Donnell as the only recognised  right back he's in. Mulgrew and Souttar making up the centre of defence.

Despite a poor game on Sunday Mcgregor seems the obvious choice in goals as he had some great performances before that.

Damn it forgot to put in a token Celt😉

5 hours ago, Bino's said:

If O'Donnell plays we're in trouble

Lets be brutally honest with ourselves when you see our squad down on paper were really not that good no point just pointing at O'Donnell - the players who could get into a pot 2 nation you could count on 1 hand and 2 of those play in the same position 

This isnt a pop at McLeish as he's only got the players he's got and he only gets a very limited time with them 

I'm really looking forward to the Nations league as playing against similar quality teams in pot 3 with give us a competition which we could win as if we get a tough group for the next euros i wouldnt fancy our chances 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Yes but Mulgrew had experience at a much higher level. 

Exactly, Mulgrew was an established international who strolled league one.

While I’ve nothing against Liam Lindsay I wonder how many who are demanding he be called up have actually seen him play since he left Partick.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Lets be brutally honest with ourselves when you see our squad down on paper were really not that good no point just pointing at O'Donnell - the players who could get into a pot 2 nation you could count on 1 hand and 2 of those play in the same position 

This isnt a pop at McLeish as he's only got the players he's got and he only gets a very limited time with them 

I'm really looking forward to the Nations league as playing against similar quality teams in pot 3 with give us a competition which we could win as if we get a tough group for the next euros i wouldnt fancy our chances 

Bardsley?

Im hoping he goes 4 at the back. o'donnell i guess, Souttar, Mulgrew and Tierney with robbo at left mid.

Give Souttar 2 games, he is going to be in the team going forward over hendry i think. If we can get Souttar and McKenna as a partnership i would like that

10 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Also, could try Ryan Jack at right back again

Jack is only just back from injury. 

If he hadn’t missed a good few games and had carried on his early season form I am pretty sure he’d have been in this squad. 

Whether McLeish would have played him at right back is debatable though. 

4 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Im hoping he goes 4 at the back. o'donnell i guess, Souttar, Mulgrew and Tierney with robbo at left mid.

Give Souttar 2 games, he is going to be in the team going forward over hendry i think. If we can get Souttar and McKenna as a partnership i would like that

Can’t see McLeish playing Tierney at left back. 

Going by his press conference earlier, Tierney will be playing as a left sided centre back and Robertson will be at left back. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Can’t see McLeish playing Tierney at left back. 

Going by his press conference earlier, Tierney will be playing as a left sided centre back and Robertson will be at left back. 

If that's an out and out centre back in a back four, for me that is the best option. Still doesn't sort out the problem at right back but at least it sorts out the left hand side of the pitch completely 

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doubt if he will get more than half a dozen games in the championship, do clubs have a different squad for reserves now? i really should get out of the 70's

If he was at a Scottish premiership club he'd still start every week

In other words if he was at Aberdeen and not Burnley he'd be straight in

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If that's an out and out centre back in a back four, for me that is the best option. Still doesn't sort out the problem at right back but at least it sorts out the left hand side of the pitch completely 

I can see McLeish going with a back 5 and throwing O’Donnell in at the deep end at RB with Tierney, Mulgrew and Souttar in the middle. 

It’s hard to tell though. I’m hoping Albania won’t cause us too many problems at the back anyway. 

Or is that wishful thinking?

Edited by Texas Pete

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I can see McLeish going with a back 5 and throwing O’Donnell in at the deep end at RB with Tierney, Mulgrew and Souttar in the middle. 

It’s hard to tell though. I’m hoping Albania won’t cause us too many problems at the back anyway. 

Could do worse I suppose, with Fraser on left and Phillips on right we would have some sort of attacking midfield threat,

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Mcgregor

Souttar Mulgrew Tierney

Odonnell Mcginn mctominey robertson

fraser          Griffiths           mcgregor

At home against Albania i should be ok with that.. but mctominey needs to play we need someone who will just sit and pass... plus the fact he is 6' 4" and united seem crap without him

5 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Mcgregor

Souttar Mulgrew Tierney

Odonnell Mcginn mctominey robertson

fraser          Griffiths           mcgregor

At home against Albania i should be ok with that.. but mctominey needs to play we need someone who will just sit and pass... plus the fact he is 6' 4" and united seem crap without him

McTominay has had 14 minutes game time this season and that was in Man U’s first league game. He hasn’t come off the bench since. 

I’m not sure McLeish will risk starting him. We’ll find out in a couple of weeks though. 

14 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Worried.  We don’t have a right back... I’m baffled as to why bardsley is not there.  If we play three at the ack he might play Fraser atvwing back, or Forrest?  Don’t like Forrest personally but we are very short.  

Isn’t O’Donnell a right back?