Scottish player transfers - Page 94 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

5 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Big problem is that Gauld is similar in size, capabilities and position to Gilmour. Think there is only room for one of them and it looks like Gilmour. Squad player maybe.

I think Gauld is more attacking minded than Gilmour.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gotta love the optimism regarding gauld but he's playing for the equivalent of St mirren in Portugal and is about to turn 25. He may well get some caps but the chances of being a regular starter are pretty slim. Hope I am proved wrong but it's not looking great for him. 

Fleck is 29 and was playing League 1 three years ago.

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Fleck is 29 and was playing League 1 three years ago.

Yeh thats hardly a success story regarding the Scotland team. It shows how much time it took for fleck to fulfill the promise he showed when he was a young player.

Will we have to wait another 2 years for gauld to make an impact when he's 27. Even if he hits the ground running this season he will be 25 and playing for a no mark club in Portugal. He would still have about 6 midfielders ahead of him. Waiting til players reach 27 to fulfill their potential is no use to us. 

I genuinely hope he does well this season and can become a main player for us but I think that's unlikely. I do however think he will get some caps eventually. 

6 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Big problem is that Gauld is similar in size, capabilities and position to Gilmour. Think there is only room for one of them and it looks like Gilmour. Squad player maybe.

I think accommodating the physiques of both players in a starting 11 (even though they play different roles) could be a problem, but I do think Gauld will start to get in squads. His weight of pass is a thing of beauty and I’d love to see if he could play with Oli Burke, as that could be quite a combination. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

I caught a news feed on Sky Sports last night that Fulham signed a Guy from Raith Rovers. I missed that. he is Keiran Bowie

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/06/kieron-bowie-signs

So he is now in Premier League- a striker.

Anybody knwo anything about him?

Fingers Crossed

Doesn't even have a page on Wikipedia.

Interesting to know how Fulham found him when none of us could.

Go's to show just how much scouting talent there is out there.

Probably turn out to be rubbish but another green sprout.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doesn't even have a page on Wikipedia.

Interesting to know how Fulham found him when none of us could.

Go's to show just how much scouting talent there is out there.

Probably turn out to be rubbish but another green sprout.

I think this was reported on here a few months ago when he signed the agreement as I hadn't heard of him. He's 17ish so presumably in their youth set up.

Does anyone think Turnbull could potentially be turned into a striker, he's scored more spl goals per game than most of the other Scottish strikers in the league and that's from midfield. Not sure he has incredible pace that alot of top strikers have but he certainly knows how to finish and has good link up play. Maybe clutching at straws but we are desperate for strikers. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Does anyone think Turnbull could potentially be turned into a striker, he's scored more spl goals per game than most of the other Scottish strikers in the league and that's from midfield. Not sure he has incredible pace that alot of top strikers have but he certainly knows how to finish and has good link up play. Maybe clutching at straws but we are desperate for strikers. 

Chance Lennon might play him there 

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well his goal scoring stats for a midfielder not playing for one of the big two suggests that he would easily average a goal every two games if played up front for Celtic  Does that make him a striker?

Seems like a number 10 to me, attacking midfielder/free-ish role type of player. FWIW reckon he’ll go down south for a Tierney type fee within a couple of years. He’s got a serious edge about him and think he could do better than Celtic and the spl. None if any I’d say that about at the moment.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Some people seem to think asking a player to play a different position is akin to asking a football to play another sport. 😛

I don't see why not.

27 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well his goal scoring stats for a midfielder not playing for one of the big two suggests that he would easily average a goal every two games if played up front for Celtic  Does that make him a striker?

I think it shows he could have the potential to be decent striker. Let's imagine that he was an actual striker, would we be getting excited given his goalscoring record so far? I think we would. To score the amount of goals he has from midfield is very impressive, he clearly knows where the net is and must have some of the attributes to be successful as a striker already. 

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Some people seem to think asking a player to play a different position is akin to asking a football to play another sport. 😛

I don't see why not.

I am not really suggesting shoehorning him into the Scotland team as a striker right now. I am just asking the question that could celtic perhaps turn the guy into a proper striker. Not just some guy who can be shoved up front like we have done with Phillips or burke or like christie was last night. He has scored more goals per game than most of our young strikers over the years and that's from midfield. He clearly has a knack for scoring goals and we have some decent midfielders at the moment so it's not really a massive need to have another when a striker would be more beneficial. 

31 minutes ago, JECK said:

Seems like a number 10 to me, attacking midfielder/free-ish role type of player. FWIW reckon he’ll go down south for a Tierney type fee within a couple of years. He’s got a serious edge about him and think he could do better than Celtic and the spl. None if any I’d say that about at the moment.

Agreed. When I have seen him play he looks to pick up the ball quite deep and quite intelligent in bringing other players in. More likely to get more assists than goals. Whatever, can only be a positive move if he gets game time at Celtic.

2 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Agreed. When I have seen him play he looks to pick up the ball quite deep and quite intelligent in bringing other players in. More likely to get more assists than goals. Whatever, can only be a positive move if he gets game time at Celtic.

Those are good attributes for a striker to have. Harry kane is very good at doing those things but it gets overshadowed by the fact he scores heaps of goals. 

He probably has more goals than assists for motherwell I would guess. Either way it would be good if celtic could mould him into a striker as central midfield is not exactly our weak spot. 

Lots of good things being said about Turnbull and I really hope he turns out as good as some folk think he will.  However, the reality is that so far he's been playing against dross and he's sadly going to continue playing against dross.  I'd rather have seen him get the hell out of this fitba backwater.

It'll be tragic if his development gets stunted cos he gets left on the bench every week as Lennon sticks to his tried and tested in this massive season for them.

18 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Lots of good things being said about Turnbull and I really hope he turns out as good as some folk think he will.  However, the reality is that so far he's been playing against dross and he's sadly going to continue playing against dross.  I'd rather have seen him get the hell out of this fitba backwater.

It'll be tragic if his development gets stunted cos he gets left on the bench every week as Lennon sticks to his tried and tested in this massive season for them.

Aye pretty much my thoughts, although I think if he’s a starter he’ll flourish and only get better and eventually be off again for bigger and better, he’s a natural talent.  I sincerly hope it’s not a Scott Allan scenario where he’s left to rot.