Scottish player transfers - Page 96 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

24 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm going to give you it anyway...yes, he could play striker, but he could also play right back...it would be ludicrous to play him anywhere other than midfield 

Petty much 100% of my posts, I'm not asking for opinions, etc, as I only care about my opinion.

Got it? Good.

As for actually playing Turnbull in attack. No. I wouldn't. We are weak in midfield, so I'd promote him to the senior team now and play him in a midfield 3.

6 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You only care about your opinion? Why do you need to post on a forum then?

Because I can. 

Do many people here care about opinions of others? When a vast majority of people read an opinion that deviates from their own, "you're at it", is usually proclaimed.

I remember the first time that I mentioned a formation change. It was like introducing a smartphone to cavemen.

16 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm going to give you it anyway...yes, he could play striker, but he could also play right back...it would be ludicrous to play him anywhere other than midfield 

Unless you have a lot of better midfielders and no decent strikers

Easy enough to get a game in the Motherwell midfield not so easy in the Scotland or Celtic ones

Could he play up front for Brechin City-yes for Lincoln City- yes for Manchester City-probably not.

If Celtic don't spend and Edouard  leaves every one will get a shot up front.

If McBurnie is injured every one should get a shot unless you really believe that our other squad strikers "who have achieved nothing in their careers so far" are better players than Turnbull. 

16 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Petty much 100% of my posts, I'm not asking for opinions, etc, as I only care about my opinion.

Got it? Good.

As for actually playing Turnbull in attack. No. I wouldn't. We are weak in midfield, so I'd promote him to the senior team now and play him in a midfield 3.

You're a strange wee guy

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Unless you have a lot of better midfielders and no decent strikers

Easy enough to get a game in the Motherwell midfield not so easy in the Scotland or Celtic ones

Could he play up front for Brechin City-yes for Lincoln City- yes for Manchester City-probably not.

If Celtic don't spend and Edouard  leaves every one will get a shot up front.

If McBurnie is injured every one should get a shot unless you really believe that our other squad strikers "who have achieved nothing in their careers so far" are better players than Turnbull. 

The lad will get plenty of time on the pitch in midfield for celtic this season and that will ultimately lead to the scotland caps he should have got while at Fir Park.

Kieran Tierney has a cracking shot, stick him up front and we can forget about playing him at right back.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Paul Scholes started off as a striker, Eric Cantona in goals, etc. There are tons of examples of players being versatile enough to play in multiple positions.

Hell, James Milker has played everywhere (even in goals with leads, when Robinson was sent off).

Could Turnbull play upfront? Yes. He strikes the ball better than any of our strikers. 

Never start a sentence with “Hell”, it’s just too annoying in a wanky tabloid way. 

17 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You're a strange wee guy

In TAMBland, that's tantamount to a glowing compliment. So, thank you. 😉

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Never start a sentence with “Hell”, it’s just too annoying in a wanky tabloid way. 

It's to denote that James Milner isn't exactly Ruud Gullit. 

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Ludicrous? You do realise that most pro players in the history of the game have played a different position to their norm in their careers. It would be ludicrous to suggest he could play goalkeeper or centre back but a guy who can score the goals he has from midfield could easily have a chance of being a half decent striker. Especially as he is good at other aspects of being a striker.  

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ludicrous? You do realise that most pro players in the history of the game have played a different position to their norm in their careers. It would be ludicrous to suggest he could play goalkeeper or centre back but a guy who can score the goals he has from midfield could easily have a chance of being a half decent striker. Especially as he is good at other aspects of being a striker.  

There are aspects of his game that would suggest he'd thrive at centre back...he can header the ball and tackle...as for in goals? I've even seen him catch a ball with one hand.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Agreed.

A lot of people here just seem to have a basic misunderstanding of how football is played. I remember lurking a few weeks ago and someone posted "Oli Burke is starting on the left wing. I thought he was right-footed". I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Do people think that, if a player starts a match in position x, they never leave? I swear, some people seem to think that football is like table football.

24 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The lad will get plenty of time on the pitch in midfield for celtic this season and that will ultimately lead to the scotland caps he should have got while at Fir Park.

Kieran Tierney has a cracking shot, stick him up front and we can forget about playing him at right back.

Daft comparison that doesn't help your argument. Strangely enough callum Paterson has been converted to a striker from right back. If he can be converted then I don't see why a guy who can score the amount that Turnbull has could potentially make a decent striker. Its not unusual for players to change position as they get older. Henry, c ronaldo and van persie are examples of wingers who then became strikers. Pretty sure larsson was a winger before he really settled as a striker. Fair enough it's not that common for a central midfielder to do it but it's not something that is beyond the realms of possibility.

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

There are aspects of his game that would suggest he'd thrive at centre back...he can header the ball and tackle...as for in goals? I've even seen him catch a ball with one hand.

He has the main thing you want from a striker and that's goals and finishing. It's not rocket science to suggest he might score more as a striker or even maintain his strike rate. Trying to suggest he could play centre back because he can head the ball is a ridiculous argument, a bit like suggesting he could play left back because he can run. It's not the same as suggesting he could become a striker. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He has the main thing you want from a striker and that's goals and finishing. It's not rocket science to suggest he might score more as a striker or even maintain his strike rate. Trying to suggest he could play centre back because he can head the ball is a ridiculous argument, a bit like suggesting he could play left back because he can run. It's not the same as suggesting he could become a striker. 

Its exactly the same...being a striker is nowhere near as simple as you and you're simple pal are trying to make it.

Theres a reason hes played central midfield all his life...that's because he is outstanding there

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Daft comparison that doesn't help your argument. Strangely enough callum Paterson has been converted to a striker from right back. If he can be converted then I don't see why a guy who can score the amount that Turnbull has could potentially make a decent striker. Its not unusual for players to change position as they get older. Henry, c ronaldo and van persie are examples of wingers who then became strikers. Pretty sure larsson was a winger before he really settled as a striker. Fair enough it's not that common for a central midfielder to do it but it's not something that is beyond the realms of possibility.

In what way is it daft? Why couldn't Tierney be converted to a striker?

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

Good stuff

👍

Re Tierney: I'm not his biggest fan. He has a lot of work to do in order to convince me of his dedication towards playing for Scotland.. But.. he's only of the few players we have who could play anywhere, outfield, and be effective.

His technical ability is up there with anyone. 

22 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

👍

Re Tierney: I'm not his biggest fan. He has a lot of work to do in order to convince me of his dedication towards playing for Scotland.. But.. he's only of the few players we have who could play anywhere, outfield, and be effective.

Would be miles better than Robertson as a midfielder anyway.

50 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

👍

Fling him up front