Russia 2018 - Page 32 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

According to a Belgian journalist on 5live there, Martinez has made it clear to his squad that he doesn't want to top this group, which is utter madness. Colombia would knock both Belgium and England out where as if you finish top you play Japan and i think England and Belgium would put a few past them. Add to the fact that no one has really been amazing in this tournament so far apart from Croatia and this whole what side of the draw argument becomes irrelevant, everyone is there for the taking.

This is perhaps where having a pre-determined draw falls apart, as it appears that both sides in this game will try not to win. Eitherway, nothings ever said and done in football - as Wales showed by reaching the Euro semis.

13 minutes ago, Mox said:

According to a Belgian journalist on 5live there, Martinez has made it clear to his squad that he doesn't want to top this group, which is utter madness. Colombia would knock both Belgium and England out where as if you finish top you play Japan and i think England and Belgium would put a few past them. Add to the fact that no one has really been amazing in this tournament so far apart from Croatia and this whole what side of the draw argument becomes irrelevant, everyone is there for the taking.

Agree to disagree

On all performances Belgium look the most cohesive powerful unit out there and it would seem their lack of goals to match their play has been resolved by Martinez

Colombia did not look good in their first game or even today - a bit powder puff

Whilst England are not great they are lethal when it comes to taking chances

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Main football page, under Commentator Bingo.

Could do with a wee hand here, as I will miss bits here and there with putting the kids to bed. Looking for the commentators from k.o. to say the names of 7 teams. Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Brom and Celtic. 10/1 shot.

I think it's entirely reasonable to freshen up the squad, give some hungry new players and chance and avoid injuries/cards for key players.  It could be worth doing even if you were through and didn't know opponents, or even if you still had to 'get a result'. I mean if the last match was against say the bottom team who were already out, and you knew still needed the 3 points, you might still risk putting out a shuffled side, while still aiming and expecting to win.

Playing to lose or draw is a different matter entirely. 

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree to disagree

On all performances Belgium look the most cohesive powerful unit out there and it would seem their lack of goals to match their play has been resolved by Martinez

Colombia did not look good in their first game or even today - a bit powder puff

Colombia played their 1st game with 10 men. They ripped Poland apart, but your'e right they were pretty poor today. I think they have had their one great game and either England or Belgium will hump them. And Rodriguez is injured.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree to disagree

Belgium are a decent side, that's about it. If James is fit I honestly think they'd blow both of them away.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

This is perhaps where having a pre-determined draw falls apart, as it appears that both sides in this game will try not to win. Eitherway, nothings ever said and done in football - as Wales showed by reaching the Euro semis.

Hard to not have a set draw at a tournament. Unless you have several rest days between rounds.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Could do with a wee hand here, as I will miss bits here and there with putting the kids to bed. Looking for the commentators from k.o. to say the names of 7 teams. Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Brom and Celtic. 10/1 shot.

Had a look but couldn't see it, think they had taken it down. How's it going so far?