Starting Line-Up V Hungary - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Line-Up V Hungary

Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

More depressing than McBurnie who missed a sitter on Friday? Or god help us Matt Phillips? 🤦‍♀️ 

Bit harsh.  I'm sure there have been better players than McBurnie who have missed sitters.  Key thing is if Griffiths is injured we're struggling so I don't really mind whether it's McBurnie or Cummings.  I was a big advocate of Phillips getting into the Scotland squad as I believed his strength and pace were assets but I fear my judgment was flawed.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I wouldn't mind something like this:

Archer

Paterson - Hendry - Mulgrew - Douglas

Fraser - McTominay - McGinn - Robertson

Forrest

Cummings

Give Archer, Douglas and Hendry their first caps, try out Robertson in a more advanced role and have Forrest in a free role in the attacking midfield position.

That's a decent shout although I'm not sure about your Forrest experiment and would prefer either Armstrong or McGregor in there. Also I doubt either Robertson or Mulgrew will play from the start. I'm sure I saw somewhere Sheffield Wednesday have a game on Thursday? 

Edited by slasher

Not what I'd pick, but something like what I'd expect

Archer

Paterson  Hendry.  Mulgrew.   Robertson

Fraser    McGinn.   McTominay.   Douglas

Armstrong.     

Cummings

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Not getting the calls for Jordan Archer to get a game. Anyone unsure why might want to get themselves on Youtube and check out the highlights of Sunderland v Millwall earlier this season.

Oooft! :-))

While your at it check the highlights from last Saturdays game and you might see why there are calls for Archer

7 hours ago, fringo said:

I guess Hanley isn't a surprise as some have mentioned here, he struggles to play back to back games because of shin splints. No idea about the other 2.

If McLeish knew Hanley had problems with shin splints and Mulgrew had a Blackburn fixture coming up on Thursday (?), doesn't it make it odder that he didn't select Berra.  I would think he'll play Mulgrew rather than risk an inexperienced pairing of Hendry and McKenna.  

26 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If McLeish knew Hanley had problems with shin splints and Mulgrew had a Blackburn fixture coming up on Thursday (?), doesn't it make it odder that he didn't select Berra.  I would think he'll play Mulgrew rather than risk an inexperienced pairing of Hendry and McKenna.  

Think he might have left out Berra because his distribution isn't that great and in playing 3 at the back that is crucial. Think it was more of a mistake to leave souttar in the U21 as he has said we are short of right sided CB's.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Not getting the calls for Jordan Archer to get a game. Anyone unsure why might want to get themselves on Youtube and check out the highlights of Sunderland v Millwall earlier this season.

Oooft! :-))

He's only 24. Considering most goalkeepers don't peak until they're around 30, he's absolutely worth taking a serious look at as he'll probably be in the squad regularly for years to come. 14 clean sheets in the English Championship is not to be ignored, particularly at a newly promoted club.

What with Hanley being ruled out and Mulgrew surely being rested for his Blackburn match on Thursday I think now, in hindsight, Eck may revert back to a 4-4-2 system going with McKenna and Hendry at the centre of defence, Robertson at left-back and I'd go with Barry Douglas at right-back. In midfield go with Armstrong and McGregor in the middle and Forrest and Fraser on the flanks with McBurnie up front alone.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What with Hanley being ruled out and Mulgrew surely being rested for his Blackburn match on Thursday I think now, in hindsight, Eck may revert back to a 4-4-2 system going with McKenna and Hendry at the centre of defence, Robertson at left-back and I'd go with Barry Douglas at right-back. In midfield go with Armstrong and McGregor in the middle and Forrest and Fraser on the flanks with McBurnie up front alone.

Try again.