Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early

DoonTheSlope

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

FWIW - Thistle went to Spain. I'd imagine Dubai might have afforded Celtic more privacy though.

The choice of friendlies in June in another continent is utterly insane given all the different variables involved, including the knowledge that Celtic have to be back early for CL qualifiers and half a dozen of their players are first picks for Scotland right now.

There should be no issue with Brown, or anybody else pulling out of this trip from any of the football, the travel, the human or the physical aspects of it. Football wise, these games are next to meaningless at that time of the year, the travel aspect is insane as already stated, the human aspect of dragging people away from the already limited time they have for family holidays is unacceptable, and physically they don't need these games to take place after the end of the competitive season.

These guys may have one of the best jobs in the world, but they aren't automatons. Fair play to Fraser Wishart for getting involved and calling this ill-considered exercise for the ludicrous nonsense that it is.

Absolute bollocks, the games are not meaningless, they are a chance for the manager to get players together and prepare for upcoming qualifiers.

maybe instead of travelling across the globe for pre season friendlies, Celtic could organise those closer to home. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Absolute bollocks, the games are not meaningless, they are a chance for the manager to get players together and prepare for upcoming qualifiers.

maybe instead of travelling across the globe for pre season friendlies, Celtic could organise those closer to home. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I said that they are next to meaningless immediately after the end of the competitive season, for the reasons I mentioned.

I stand by that assertion.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Agreed they are far from meaningless.

We need as many games as possible with the young players we need to bed in. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

UEFAs qualifying process for the CL and EL is the problem here. They’ve completely destroyed European competition because there’s too many teams now fighting it out for a small amount of places, the places in the final stages are about to decrease too.

the SFA for all their faults are not to blame here.

My issue with Celtic is the way Rodgers dresses his opinion up as if it’s good for Scottish football, he’s wrong. I’d have a lot more respect for that dick if he just came out and said it’s about him and Celtic.

scott Brown is only confirming that Scotland is not his priority. That’s fair enough IMO because it’s time he retired anyway. 

I fully agree it is UEFA that is at fault here.

The problem is clubs and FAs have no power to change it. As a result they target the things they can change or have some influence over which is the national teams. 

The reality is that UEFA will not change the qualifying process and FIFA won't change international dates. The only long term solution is for the SFA / SPFL to change the domestic schedule and format in the future.

You are right that Rodgers is only really interested in Celtic but he does have a point. It is massively beneficial for the national team if our players are well rested and are playing in Europe for there clubs BUT it is just as beneficial if they play as many games for the national team.

For Aberdeen we might hit the same problem losing a couple of players to Scotland and Northern Ireland for friendlies but also Arnason to the world cup. Depending on how well Iceland do Arnason might miss the first qualifying round.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Problem is ProudScot fans here seemingly don't want young players bedded in in those games or else why are they so foaming at the mouth if Scott Brown doesn't play?

I agree there is no point in Brown going. I'd be playing an under 30 team for the next 4 friendlies. The issue is the rest of the players from Celtic and other clubs. You still need a few key players on this trip. You can't play an entire team of players with less than a handful of caps each.

12 minutes ago, drew said:

I agree there is no point in Brown going. I'd be playing an under 30 team for the next 4 friendlies. The issue is the rest of the players from Celtic and other clubs. You still need a few key players on this trip. You can't play an entire team of players with less than a handful of caps each.

Fair enough but again what are we going to learn playing Armstrong, Gordon, Forrest, Fletcher etc etc...Jack Sh!t. Nothing.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but again what are we going to learn playing Armstrong, Gordon, Forrest, Fletcher etc etc...Jack Sh!t. Nothing.

To be fair i think it more of the new manger, who ever he is, who going to learn about the players. A trip to south america, Can tell him pretty qwick who up for it and who not.

Beside the like of McGregor  and  Armstrong only  got 5 caps between them. So they should be going.

1 minute ago, bookerman said:

Beside the like of McGregor  and  Armstrong only  got 5 caps between them. So they should be going.

What's the point though? McGregor yes I see the point but not Armstrong. Him, Brown, Forrest, Tierney and Gordon we know what they can do at international level and same goes for the likes of Fletcher, Berra and Mulgrew amongst others. To haul players across to South America during a two week window of holidays for those players is pointless. We learn nothing, the players get even more fatigued and we piss off their clubs. Select young players mostly uncapped and it is a total win-win situation. We win as we may uncover some future internationals, the older players gain by getting a rest and the SFA gain by not stirring up animosity with the clubs.

9 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You learn far more about the fringe players by playing them alongside regulars and how they play alongside each other. There's little point in taken a whole squad of fringe players when most won't be anywhere near the squad come the qualifying campaign. It's about bleeding new players in with the experienced players and giving them an opportunity to gel

That is 100% spot on. All in season friendlies should have that approach.

The problem is unique to Scotland in that our league is not strong enough to allow our teams to enter later in European Tournaments and half our national team play for one of our own leagues teams.

On Second thoughts it probably isn't unique to us and we should just accept that our national team actually is on a par with the other countries in our nations league group.

And don't bring major finals into it that is totally different. 

The fact that players are complaining to their union about these games is absolutely ridiculous. They will be finished by 3rd June and can take time off then. 

If we had qualified for the world Cup, that would have been from the 10th June to 10th July or so. 

I can guarantee that not one player from Celtic or anyone else would have been complaining then about the extra games!!!! 

Can you see Brendan Rodgers asking players not to go the World Cup because they have  a CL qualifier coming up. 

3 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

The fact that players are complaining to their union about these games is absolutely ridiculous. They will be finished by 3rd June and can take time off then. 

If we had qualified for the world Cup, that would have been from the 10th June to 10th July or so. 

I can guarantee that not one player from Celtic or anyone else would have been complaining then about the extra games!!!! 

Can you see Brendan Rodgers asking players not to go the World Cup because they have  a CL qualifier coming up. 

Complaining to their union as if they aren’t all on £250,000 a year + 

Tough life being a footballer with all those 9am starts and having to ‘work’ for 4-5 hours 5 days a week. 

Edited by ProudScot

6 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

No, because Scotland aren't going to the World Cup. 

So your point is spurious.

Edited by Barney Rubble

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Rodgers has waded in with his opinion.........apparently it’s good for Scottish football for the Celtic players to get a rest because Celtic have to get to the CL for the benefit of Scottish football of course, we need that money which Celtic earn for the rest of the teams in the league.

he also refused to answer when asked whether he would advise a player not to go.

Link us up ma man.

10 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Give me strength.

1 hour ago, saintsparky said:

Your missing the whole point. The point being that Scottish teams in Europe will not have enough time to for a proper break due to how early the most valuable games start.

As for reaching a major final no manager would stop his players playing they would revolt.

10 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-stars-set-boycott-sfas-11916043

looks like Scott Brown was the first to speak out and many more players are not happy about this trip

Just read that, a couple of interesting points

"the players first knew about these games when they read it in the papers. There was no consultation with the clubs, SPFL or players themselves". Classic SFA

“We as a trade union regard annual leave as a health and safety issue. It’s a directive from the European Union which is mandatory. People must be given a break from work. We all need it. We all need to recover mentally and physically.

Should give the players 22 days a year + bank Holidays and they should book them in advance.

Next time we qualify for a tournament I'll be expecting Fraser Wishart to have the players health and safety in mind and demand the tournament is pushed back a few weeks

What a load of shite, the cunts just trying to justify his position, nothing more, nothing less