Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early

DoonTheSlope

Some fans really are clueless. My bet is the ones moaning that players only need 2 weeks of holidays are generally fat and have loads of holidays themselves.

Celtic players have played more games than most so far this season. Asking them to extend their season, in the knowledge they will start back much earlier than the English based players, is quite frankly mental.

The players looked tired before the winter break. Do we really want our key players exhausted going into the Nations League fixtures? 

Take the English based players, and those that play for Scottish teams that haven't got to start so early next season. 

5 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Fringe players aye!  But if any new manager needs 2 friendlies to know what Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney etc can bring to the team then we're bloody screwed!!

I also seriously doubt any sane manager would have sanctioned travelling that far during the pre season when our most important players should be resting!  This whole fiasco is so Regan and his cronies can get a paid jolly to a nice hot holiday destination.  It's nothing to do with football.

You learn far more about the fringe players by playing them alongside regulars and how they play alongside each other. There's little point in taken a whole squad of fringe players when most won't be anywhere near the squad come the qualifying campaign. It's about bleeding new players in with the experienced players and giving them an opportunity to gel

Edited by DoonTheSlope

46 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Some fans really are clueless. My bet is the ones moaning that players only need 2 weeks of holidays are generally fat and have loads of holidays themselves.

Celtic players have played more games than most so far this season. Asking them to extend their season, in the knowledge they will start back much earlier than the English based players, is quite frankly mental.

The players looked tired before the winter break. Do we really want our key players exhausted going into the Nations League fixtures? 

Take the English based players, and those that play for Scottish teams that haven't got to start so early next season. 

Didn't we play less friendlies than any other nation in Europe last year? I am happy to be corrected here

For the record, I'm not fat and nor to I have loads of holidays. I haven't had a holiday in three years. The most time I have taken off is 4 days in a row and that was once in three years so spare me the fucking poor footballer bull shit. 

Celtic are being asked to do what the most of the players in Europe have to do except those in elite clubs, the fing should be pointed UEFA not the SFA here. Why should we punish the Scottish national side to please celtic when its UEFA causing the problems

The celtic players looked tired before the break, fair enough but why did rodgers rest some of them? Lets be honest they have enough depth to cope with the domestic competition.

Edited by vanderark14

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Didn't we play less friendlies than any other nation in Europe last year? I am happy to be corrected here

For the record, I'm not fat and nor to I have loads of holidays. I haven't had a holiday in three years. The most time I have taken off is 4 days in a row and that was once in three years so spare me the fucking poor footballer bull shit. 

Celtic are being asked to do what the most of the players in Europe have to do except those in elite clubs, the fing should be pointed UEFA not the SFA here. Why should we punish the Scottish national side to please celtic when its UEFA causing the problems

The celtic players looked tired before the break, fair enough but why did rodgers rest some of them? Lets be honest they have enough depth to cope with the domestic competition.

This was the point I made earlier.

Celtic and there players are correct to complain as should other clubs in Europe but they are blaming the wrong people.

UEFA / FIFA should be taking the brunt of this for having crazy international / continental schedules and formats which result in players not getting any rest. Imagine if Scotland had somehow qualified for the World Cup and got past the group stages then Celtic might have to play a qualifying round without half a team.

To a lesser extent the SFA / SPFL could be questioned for not changing the domestic season format and schedule (summer football?) to allow players ample rest and possibly an increased chance of progression in the Champions League / Europa League.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

We want players who are fully committed to the cause. It doesn't send a good signal out to a new manager in any walk of like if you mump and moan and pull out of the task in hand

in this instance I can see why players would be moaning about playing two meaningless games on the other side of the world, straight after the season has finished and bang slap of when they should be on their two week break before returning to pre season.

Would there be the same uproar if these friendlies were for instances away to Denmark and Sweden?

Dont give me that old fanny about travelling takes a lot out of you. If that's the case why did Rent-a-Quote fly his players to Dubai when they were supposedly very tired before the break

The point still remains. Why the f*** are we playing players in friendlies that we know what they can do? These should purely be used to look at a whole crop of new players. There really is no business or point playing those in the twilight of their careers whilst younger players are waiting and chomping at the bit to impress. Select a squad of future players who we see as forming our sides for the next ten years and if we unearth half a dozen players up to international standard the friendlies have served their purpose. There really is no need to force players into their 30s after a long season to travel when we know what they can and can't do. Set out the stipulations now for that squad and it stops any talk of a revolt dead in its tracks, keeps players happy and allows us to look for the next generation of stars. It is a win-win situation and not rocket science.

17 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Would there be the same uproar if these friendlies were for instances away to Denmark and Sweden?

Dont give me that old fanny about travelling takes a lot out of you. If that's the case why did Rent-a-Quote fly his players to Dubai when they were supposedly very tired before the break

Jesus wept of course there wouldn't be!!  Denmark and Sweden are 3/4 hours away and have a slightly colder climate to us.  Peru is 12+ hours away Mexico isn't much closer and they're both hot as f***!  Hardly ideal for tired players after a long season.

Dubai is only 7 hours away and as far as I'm aware Celtic never played any matches, it was simply training.

1 minute ago, kwhitelaw said:

Jesus wept of course there wouldn't be!!  Denmark and Sweden are 3/4 hours away and have a slightly colder climate to us.  Peru is 12+ hours away Mexico isn't much closer and they're both hot as f***!  Hardly ideal for tired players after a long season.

Dubai is only 7 hours away and as far as I'm aware Celtic never played any matches, it was simply training.

Why couldn't they have went to Spain or Portugal just 3 hours away with a cooler climate to train?

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Who the **** thinks we are learning anything playing Brown anyway. FFS he will soon be yesterday's news at international level. Use friendlies to blood youngsters. Ends any debate and any recriminations.

What gets people's back up is the fact he swans in and out whenever he fancies

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

What gets people's back up is the fact he swans in and out whenever he fancies

This has been going on for decades though with the likes of legends like Dalglish, Souness et al dropping out of games then turning out for Liverpool. There really is no need for any problems here. Friendlies right now should be used to blood youngsters and inexperienced squad members such as Fraser, Christie, McGinn and untried players such as Bates, Linday, McKenna, McBurnie etc etc etc not for churning out players we know can cope at international football. It is truly brainless to want to play players with buckets of experience who you know can cut the mustard in an end of season friendly instead of looking at up and coming talent.

19 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Why couldn't they have went to Spain or Portugal just 3 hours away with a cooler climate to train?

No idea.  If I was to hazard a guess it would be that both those countries are in the middle of their own football seasons so training facilities may have been harder to come by

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. It's going round in circles.

In my opinion, If you're called up to represent your national team then you shouldn't be able to dictate whether you are going to attend or not. If you pull out purely because it's too far, you're too tired or whatever wanky excuse we've heard in the past then you forfeit your right to represent Scotland 

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

In my opinion, If you're called up to represent your national team then you shouldn't be able to dictate whether you are going to attend or not. If you pull out purely because it's too far, you're too tired or whatever wanky excuse we've heard in the past then you forfeit your right to represent Scotland 

You should tell your boss that you are happy to work through your holidays and assure him that your performance won't drop as a consequence. Your employer is lucky to have you. 

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Going by those rules then you could call it a day for international football as so many players would then be disqualified from playing or those that aren't would refuse to play internationally on those terms.

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

You should tell your boss that you are happy to work through your holidays and assure him that your performance won't drop as a consequence. Your employer is lucky to have you. 

Read that back and you'll see how stupid it sounds

When I was wee I never dreamt of working for my current employer

I did however dream of playing for Hibs and Scotland 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Going by those rules then you could call it a day for international football as so many players would then be disqualified from playing or those that aren't would refuse to play internationally on those terms.

I don't care about other international teams

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well you do need other international teams to form competition for Scotland and believe you me it goes on with every country across the globe. Problem is that it doesn't make Scottish newspapers.

If other teams best players pull out then great, gives us a better chance in competition 

2 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

No idea.  If I was to hazard a guess it would be that both those countries are in the middle of their own football seasons so training facilities may have been harder to come by

FWIW - Thistle went to Spain. I'd imagine Dubai might have afforded Celtic more privacy though.

The choice of friendlies in June in another continent is utterly insane given all the different variables involved, including the knowledge that Celtic have to be back early for CL qualifiers and half a dozen of their players are first picks for Scotland right now.

There should be no issue with Brown, or anybody else pulling out of this trip from any of the football, the travel, the human or the physical aspects of it. Football wise, these games are next to meaningless at that time of the year, the travel aspect is insane as already stated, the human aspect of dragging people away from the already limited time they have for family holidays is unacceptable, and physically they don't need these games to take place after the end of the competitive season.

These guys may have one of the best jobs in the world, but they aren't automatons. Fair play to Fraser Wishart for getting involved and calling this ill-considered exercise for the ludicrous nonsense that it is.

3 hours ago, drew said:

This was the point I made earlier.

Celtic and there players are correct to complain as should other clubs in Europe but they are blaming the wrong people.

UEFA / FIFA should be taking the brunt of this for having crazy international / continental schedules and formats which result in players not getting any rest. Imagine if Scotland had somehow qualified for the World Cup and got past the group stages then Celtic might have to play a qualifying round without half a team.

To a lesser extent the SFA / SPFL could be questioned for not changing the domestic season format and schedule (summer football?) to allow players ample rest and possibly an increased chance of progression in the Champions League / Europa League.

UEFAs qualifying process for the CL and EL is the problem here. They’ve completely destroyed European competition because there’s too many teams now fighting it out for a small amount of places, the places in the final stages are about to decrease too.

the SFA for all their faults are not to blame here.

My issue with Celtic is the way Rodgers dresses his opinion up as if it’s good for Scottish football, he’s wrong. I’d have a lot more respect for that dick if he just came out and said it’s about him and Celtic.

scott Brown is only confirming that Scotland is not his priority. That’s fair enough IMO because it’s time he retired anyway.