Question Time Tonight - Page 136 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Any Questions on Radio 4 tonight is from Glasgow and if it's not a stitch up then i dont know what is

Jackie Baillie

Lord Norman Lamont

Marie Todd

Jen Stout - i do not know who she is but writes for the Sunday Post and is a BBC Journalist

So with ultra Tory Chris Mason as chair it looks too big a gig for Marie Todd on her own

It's from Shetland, not Glasgow, which explains why Lamont and Jen Stout are on - they are both originally from there.

43 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's from Shetland, not Glasgow, which explains why Lamont and Jen Stout are on - they are both originally from there.

Sorry - i saw Chris Mason bumping his gums outside BBC Scotland looking onto the Hydro an hour ago

Any Questions last night it took about 3 questions before the "Shetland Independence" one came up

Former Chancellor of the Exchequer Norman Lamont and arch brexiteer said it would be interesting as to who owns the oil

We are to believe Norman Lamont and nobody else on the panel knows what an enclave is and how many miles of sea they are entitled to by being an enclave

We do as its been asked that fucking much since 2013 - 12 miles - and there is nae oil in that vicinity

The very first question he also responded that inflation is being caused by "imported inflation" and never expanded on what that actually means implying it's being caused by foreign entities

Again nobody on the panel, the audience or Chris Tory Mason responded by asking "Is that due to the arse falling out of sterling due to Brexit"

Which it fucking is

None of the pro Independence panel did either which is why i think if they dont know their fucking remit they should be nowhere near these programmes

On 6/24/2022 at 10:36 AM, kumnio said:

Think I lasted 15-20 minutes, couldn’t go on anymore sadly. Fiona Bruce is an abhorrent host, it’s pointless watching it with her in charge. As for the audience, we’ll if that is a true split of the British public, then we deserve to burn in hell. 

I'm tempted to put in a FOI request to the BBC to see the political breakdown of QT audiences in order to compare them to the local, regional and national views.

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Any Questions last night it took about 3 questions before the "Shetland Independence" one came up

Former Chancellor of the Exchequer Norman Lamont and arch brexiteer said it would be interesting as to who owns the oil

We are to believe Norman Lamont and nobody else on the panel knows what an enclave is and how many miles of sea they are entitled to by being an enclave

We do as its been asked that fucking much since 2013 - 12 miles - and there is nae oil in that vicinity

The very first question he also responded that inflation is being caused by "imported inflation" and never expanded on what that actually means implying it's being caused by foreign entities

Again nobody on the panel, the audience or Chris Tory Mason responded by asking "Is that due to the arse falling out of sterling due to Brexit"

Which it fucking is

None of the pro Independence panel did either which is why i think if they dont know their fucking remit they should be nowhere near these programmes

Ironically, the oil question is one that becomes less and less pertinent as the years go by, due to the push to move away from fossil fuels. The 'how would Scotland survive without the oil?' question implies Scotland is a banana republic, when it reality the share of oil and gas in our economic output is significantly less than Norway's.

In export terms, 60% Norway's exports are oil and gas, while ours averages 25% (between 2002 and 2019; estimated based on allocating 90% of UK oil exports; including exports to the UK except oil and gas). In that period, our manufacturing and services sectors have both been a greater share of our exports than oil. Perhaps the argument would hold up better in the 1970/80s, but it certainly doesn't hold up in the devolution era.

I believe the value of our exports are greater than Norway's also.

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'm tempted to put in a FOI request to the BBC to see the political breakdown of QT audiences in order to compare them to the local, regional and national views.

BBC for some reason aren’t covered by FOI legislation. Can you imagine what it would be like if they were. 

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think the enclave section of the 'law of the sea' applies is Shetland remains part of the UK, while Scotland becomes independent. Does the same apply if Shetland becomes a fully independent state?

15 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I think the enclave section of the 'law of the sea' applies is Shetland remains part of the UK, while Scotland becomes independent. Does the same apply if Shetland becomes a fully independent state?

https://wingsoverscotland.com/pity-not-hate/

We won’t go into the merits of the argument again. The short version is that the Northern Isles are as entitled to self-determination as anyone else, but are currently part of Scotland, and if Scotland votes Yes they’ll be coming with it until such times as a Northern Isles Independence Party creates itself, demands autonomy (and/or the right to seek membership of the rUK), and achieves it through democratic means

The reality could scarcely be any more distant from Tavish Scott’s transparently inaccurate posturings. International maritime law (specifically the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, or UNCLOS, which is signed and ratified by the UK) is extremely clear on what the situation would be with regard to Shetland and Orkney’s ownership of North Sea Oil in the context of an independent Scotland – it wouldn’t have any.

Under UNCLOS III, the islands would be regarded as an “enclave” residing wholly within Scotland’s “Exclusive Economic Zone” (see the paragraph “Continental shelf”), and as such would only have the right to resources within a 12-mile radius of their coastline – of which, in terms of oil, there are basically none.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/pity-not-hate/

We won’t go into the merits of the argument again. The short version is that the Northern Isles are as entitled to self-determination as anyone else, but are currently part of Scotland, and if Scotland votes Yes they’ll be coming with it until such times as a Northern Isles Independence Party creates itself, demands autonomy (and/or the right to seek membership of the rUK), and achieves it through democratic means

The reality could scarcely be any more distant from Tavish Scott’s transparently inaccurate posturings. International maritime law (specifically the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, or UNCLOS, which is signed and ratified by the UK) is extremely clear on what the situation would be with regard to Shetland and Orkney’s ownership of North Sea Oil in the context of an independent Scotland – it wouldn’t have any.

Under UNCLOS III, the islands would be regarded as an “enclave” residing wholly within Scotland’s “Exclusive Economic Zone” (see the paragraph “Continental shelf”), and as such would only have the right to resources within a 12-mile radius of their coastline – of which, in terms of oil, there are basically none.

This is from the page linked with the text 'extremely clear' above:

"International law specifies that a state controls the continental shelf and associated mineral and fishing rights up to 200 nautical miles (230 miles or 370 km) off its shores. When another state possesses an island within the continental shelf of this state, special rules apply."

So i think Shetland would indeed have a fucktonne of oil if it was an independent state, but as an island belonging to the rUK the 12 mile enclave law would apply.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Which it fucking is

The last few snp panel members on these programs have been terribly weak, I like Todd and she does nea bad up in her constituency but thinking quick in a debate/show is not her thing

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Inverness tonight.

Angus Robertson
Craig Hoy
Pam Duncan Glancy
Fraser Nelson
Susie McCabe

Pro Union panel

Damned annoying. Any QT in Scotland should reflect the political taste so have more SNP/Green guests than Tory/Labour/Lib Dem MP's. I'll bet that has never happened in QT's history.

5 hours ago, aaid said:

Inverness tonight.

Angus Robertson
Craig Hoy
Pam Duncan Glancy
Fraser Nelson
Susie McCabe

Pro Union panel

Labour are that insidious that they have been promoting the handicapped lassie in a wheelchair for nearly 2 years now

The reaction after the announcement this week has been verging on hysteria 

As such if QT tonight is not an orchestrated stitch up i will eat my slippers

Sarwar or Baillie should be on but to get the sympathy vote they will get Pam Duncan Glancy to lie her wheelchair off about how badly the SNHS, Education & disability services etc are being run into the ground by the SNP

As she is handicapped she must be telling the truth right ?

Robertson is good but as mentioned earlier he is rarely on the ball when it comes to rebuttals

Spending £2 million on a referendum during a cost of living crisis

It was supposed to be once in a generation

What currency will you use

Trade barrier with biggest trading partner

Ferries

I wont be watching it

Probably disabled people have been under-represented on Question Time so I don't think that's where the problem is.

Having the panel and probably audience deliberately stacked towards Tories, unionists and Brexiteers is the problem.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Yes, he really shouldn’t have called out the Tory plant there. 

You like to make a habit of misinterpreting information. The problem with Angus is that he hasn't actually made one argument in favour of independence other than us being dragged out of the EU. He has the opportunity to make the case for independence and he's chosen to only make one point

2 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

You like to make a habit of misinterpreting information. The problem with Angus is that he hasn't actually made one argument in favour of independence other than us being dragged out of the EU. He has the opportunity to make the case for independence and he's chosen to only make one point

This should be pretty obvious, the argument *at this point in time* is not about making points for independence, it is about hammering home the argument about it being undemocratic to deny a referendum.  These are two different arguments and that’s what Angus Robertson is focussing on.   If he was just making points about why Scotland should be independent then that would be fucking useless because until there’s a referendum in play then it doesn’t matter how many people want independence, it’s of secondary importance.