Question Time Tonight - Page 137 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

This should be pretty obvious, the argument *at this point in time* is not about making points for independence, it is about hammering home the argument about it being undemocratic to deny a referendum.  These are two different arguments and that’s what Angus Robertson is focussing on.   If he was just making points about why Scotland should be independent then that would be fucking useless because until there’s a referendum in play then it doesn’t matter how many people want independence, it’s of secondary importance. 

No.

There doesn't need to be any debate about whether there should or should not be a referendum, the people in Scotland have already voted to have one and that's the bottom line. The government have decided there will be a referendum so there is nothing to debate!

This is Angus chance to make the case to the people why we need independence, to remind everyone how much better we can do things in Scotland. There are so so many good arguments to make on the cost of living crisis, about dealing with drug deaths and about finding the health service in Scotland but he's made no case whatsoever 

8 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

No.

There doesn't need to be any debate about whether there should or should not be a referendum, the people in Scotland have already voted to have one and that's the bottom line. The government have decided there will be a referendum so there is nothing to debate!

This is Angus chance to make the case to the people why we need independence, to remind everyone how much better we can do things in Scotland. There are so so many good arguments to make on the cost of living crisis, about dealing with drug deaths and about finding the health service in Scotland but he's made no case whatsoever 

Well he just made one right there at the end.

From the clips I saw, plenty of good points from the audience, and a Tory activist in audience called out. 

Actually despite the built in bias, seemed more balanced than the other 99% of Brit media outputs, politics panels, phone ins, etc. . 

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Damned annoying. Any QT in Scotland should reflect the political taste so have more SNP/Green guests than Tory/Labour/Lib Dem MP's. I'll bet that has never happened in QT's history.

I'm pretty sure there was a previous edition that had a 3/2 split in favour of independence supporters. I'm not going through 137 pages to find it though!

11 hours ago, aaid said:

Yes, he really shouldn’t have called out the Tory plant there. 

Glad to see him doing that. Let's those watching know that it's not a random sample of the electorate.

I thought Robertson was OK but Susie McCabe was pretty poor. Would have been better if they'd dumped her and had Salmond on but I can't really see the BBC allowing that - they seem to prefer low grade panellists from the indy side most of the time.

7 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Would have been better if they'd dumped her and had Salmond on but I can't really see the BBC allowing that - they seem to prefer low grade panellists from the indy side most of the time.

Did you see the approval ratings in the last poll this week.  Salmond was on -61, Johnson was only one point worse off.  How does that help the Indy movement? 

I'm actually surprised that he wasn't on - as I see he's started being interviewed as a "ProIndy voice" on news programmes, mind you I doubt Salmond really wants to put himself directly in front of the public and to be told what people really think of him.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Did you see the approval ratings in the last poll this week.  Salmond was on -61, Johnson was only one point worse off.  How does that help the Indy movement? 

I'm actually surprised that he wasn't on - as I see he's started being interviewed as a "ProIndy voice" on news programmes, mind you I doubt Salmond really wants to put himself directly in front of the public and to be told what people really think of him.

Salmond's ratings are largely a result of him being demonised in the media.  In many people's minds (including yours I suspect) he's a convicted rapist.  The thing is, if you hear him actually talk about indy, he's streets ahead of most current SNP politicians.  Which is why the unionists fear him and why they demonise him through their proxies in the media.  Most current SNP politicians are characterless mouthpieces and in many cases utter nonentities eagerly following the woke instruction manual.

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Salmond's ratings are largely a result of him being demonised in the media.  In many people's minds (including yours I suspect) he's a convicted rapist.  The thing is, if you hear him actually talk about indy, he's streets ahead of most current SNP politicians.  Which is why the unionists fear him and why they demonise him through their proxies in the media.  Most current SNP politicians are characterless mouthpieces and in many cases utter nonentities eagerly following the woke instruction manual.

Yip - 72% of the population have been taken in by the media.

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by aaid

22 hours ago, Alibi said:

👍

22 hours ago, Alibi said:

👍

• 3 weeks later...

Kirsty Blackman has a tough gig on Radio 4 Any Questions at 8pm 

With the panel she is up against i would be gobsmacked if the audience isnt partisan too

Macwhirter is no ally anymore. He has taken the pieces of silver

Anita Anand presents political debate and discussion from MacRobert Memorial Hall, Tarland, with SNP Work and Pensions spokesperson at Westminster Kirsty Blackman MP, columnist at The Herald Iain Macwhirter, Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland Ian Murray MP and Minister in the Scotland Office Iain Stewart MP.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ian who?

columnist at The Herald Iain Macwhirter

"I voted yes in 2014 but i am not a "separatist"

"I voted Yes because there was going to be a shared currency and no hard border as both England and Scotland would be in the EU"

"Im now not voting Yes as there will now definitely be a hard border between an Independent Scotland and England"

Kirsty Blackman shouldnt be allowed near any further debates. Fucking hopeless

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

columnist at The Herald Iain Macwhirter

"I voted yes in 2014 but i am not a "separatist"

"I voted Yes because there was going to be a shared currency and no hard border as both England and Scotland would be in the EU"

"Im now not voting Yes as there will now definitely be a hard border between an Independent Scotland and England"

Kirsty Blackman shouldnt be allowed near any further debates. Fucking hopeless

Wow what a c unt

The most aggravating thing about Blackman is that a while back Joanna Cherry superbly dealt with Andrew Neil when he said that Scotland exports so many billions to England and a hard border would jeopardise that

And how much does England export to Scotland Andrew ?

Pragmatism would win

Yet the Tory, Ian Murray and Macwhirter were able to peddle the same question and she sat back and said fuck all

Blackman is as weak as pish on those kind of programmes. Why the SNP so frequently put her forward is beyond me.

Macwhirter is a despicable sell-out, but because of the things he wrote in 2014 the Beeb will still classify him as pro-independence and put him on their programmes as "balance". I wouldn't be surprised if a few more of his ilk switch their positions too.

So McWhirter prioritises free movement with England above all else, including restoration of free movement to Europe?  What a spineless crawler.  Totally sells out Scotland's wish to have free movement with Europe, Scotland's wish to be able to rejoin the EU, (or at least have a Norway option, which I think would allow an open border with rUK), in favour of shackling us to an increasingly fascist regime in London.  Why don't you just fucking move to England, McWhirter?  You clearly don't prioritise Scottish interests.

McWhirter demands a free border with England but wants a hard border with everywhere else.  He seems to have gone full Tory.

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

So McWhirter prioritises free movement with England above all else, including restoration of free movement to Europe?  What a spineless crawler.  Totally sells out Scotland's wish to have free movement with Europe, Scotland's wish to be able to rejoin the EU, (or at least have a Norway option, which I think would allow an open border with rUK), in favour of shackling us to an increasingly fascist regime in London.  Why don't you just fucking move to England, McWhirter?  You clearly don't prioritise Scottish interests.

McWhirter demands a free border with England but wants a hard border with everywhere else.  He seems to have gone full Tory.

There *will not* be a border for travel between Scotland and England, anyone who suggests that there will be is either a fool or a liar.  

There *will* be a need to manage the trade of goods between Scotland and England, you can call it a border if you want but the likelihood is that will all be done well away from any physical border points and that can be as stress-free or as stressful as the political will is.  Again anyone who suggests otherwise is either a fool or a liar.