Question Time Tonight - Page 140 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

17 hours ago, Malcolm said:

capitalism has created an affluent middle class never seen before in the Uk.  Home ownership, share ownership, two car families with people even going abroad on holiday once or twice a year.

where was that in 1979… renting a council house and holidaying in Blackpool.  Lucky if you have one car in the family and renting a colour tele.

If right to buy hadn't happened there would now be plenty of people living in council houses with bought tellys, multiple cars and foreign holidays. All this without the fear of massive mortgage debts too.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If right to buy hadn't happened there would now be plenty of people living in council houses with bought tellys, multiple cars and foreign holidays. All this without the fear of massive mortgage debts too.

Right to buy is one of the best things to happen in last 50 years.  My grandparents bought their house and left a legacy to my mum, giving her a more comfortable old age.

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The good old textbook explanation that uber capitalists like to churn out to make themselves seem a bit better about themselves . Problem is , in real life, things rarely work the way the text book says they will, particularly when wealthy  greedy bastards still try to avoid what little tax they are asked to pay and the wee guy has to suffer instead. 

I had hoped you were a genuine poster who  really was undecided about independence but I am convinced you are here mainly on the wind up. The tunnocks teacake post on the biscuit thread convinced me 🙄

And if the average household bill rises to £10k a year I will not only run round the buff in my village I will pay for the heating on your big hoose.
Pure hysteria. Unless of course you are assuming everyone lives in a £500 k+  house. 

ok, maybe a bit of exaggeration, but lots of folk will see 10k bills.  And who knows what will happen in the future… I wouldn’t be making hasty promises!

And I am genuinely interested in independence… I’m anti royalist, but also fairly right wing.  So there is no party that reflects my views.  Generally right wing parties love the queen.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, aaid said:

Could be interesting for a change tonight,   I really hope this isn’t another Morrissey moment though.

Interesting ?

Including Bruce i make that 5 versus 1

Murdoch is ultra Scottish Labour and used his wife and the Evening Times to have a pop at the SNP

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Interesting ?

Murdoch is ultra Scottish Labour and used his wife and the Evening Times to have a pop at the SNP

Cue Swinney being talked over and constantly interrupted. And short odds on Ross angrily denouncing the Supreme Court case to deflect from his London paymasters absolutely tanking the economy.

Glad I stopped watching this binfire of a Unionist propagandafest. My blood pressure is bad enough

41 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Interesting ?

You don’t need to support the SNP to support independence and criticism of the SNP on domestic policy doesn’t mean you’re against independence. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/13/belle-and-sebastian-stuart-murdoch-scottish-independence

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

You don’t need to support the SNP to support independence and criticism of the SNP on domestic policy doesn’t mean you’re against independence. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/13/belle-and-sebastian-stuart-murdoch-scottish-independence

He attacked the SNP run council for British Labour after this

Wings has an article about him but it seems it can no longer be accessed

https://wingsoverscotland.com/walking-like-a-peasant/

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

He attacked the SNP run council for British Labour after this

Wings has an article about him but it seems it can no longer be accessed

https://wingsoverscotland.com/walking-like-a-peasant/

Wings over Scotland as a source, FFS.   Mind you I suppose he - Murdoch - is a bit wokey-cokey so that would get him on the list. 

In fact, the argument he’s putting forwards is that because B&S are successful, the Murdochs are presumably relatively well off and so shouldn’t be complaining about childcare costs is one which you routinely hear the Tories - and also Johann Lamont was big on this - using when they rail about universal free services.  So that’s also interesting.

Edited by aaid

On 8/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, Malcolm said:

Right to buy is one of the best things to happen in last 50 years.  My grandparents bought their house and left a legacy to my mum, giving her a more comfortable old age.

Right to buy was one of the tories sneakiest moves ever, they raked in billions, saved billions in housing stock upkeep/repairs and more importantly it tied people to mortgages which made taking industrial action much harder, council rent arrears could be paid back but you could lose your house with mortgage arrears, it was a very cynical move by a nasty piece of work.

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Wings is always impeccably sourced. Unlike the baseless cheap smears you peddle.

Ah yes, have you managed to find any of the lies you’ve accused me of peddling about Alex Salmond yet?

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Could be interesting for a change tonight,   I really hope this isn’t another Morrissey moment though.

Urgh. That sends shivers down my spine.

John Swinney is too much of a ‘nice guy’ to put on this programme. In the old days when all panellists were given time to say their bit he was fine , infact I would say he was an asset as he has a caring way about him, but he is not capable of dealing with the bawling and shouting that passes  as political entertainment these days. 

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Urgh. That sends shivers down my spine.

John Swinney is too much of a ‘nice guy’ to put on this programme. In the old days when all panellists were given time to say their bit he was fine , infact I would say he was an asset as he has a caring way about him, but he is not capable of dealing with the bawling and shouting that passes  as political entertainment these days. 

I'd have stuck Mhairi Black in there. She'd have a field day with that lot

QT bingo - I predict someone in the audience - maybe the first person - will say something like "I'm a Tory - (I run a business/I care for people/ I adopt orphaned fluffy bunnies)... Does Nicola Sturgeon detest me?" then sit back looking smug at the absolutely original zinger of a question, and Bruce will then be ringmaster for a pile-on on John Swinney, during which [for extra bingo bonus points]  Douglas Ross might refer to Alister Jack's HoC answer linking language to the murder of that Southend MP; meanwhile Anas Sarwar will say, or hint, something about the mask slipping to reveal the ugly face of nationalism.

Then, there must surely be a question on the Supreme Court, (unless BBC following a blackout policy), in which people will complain about the cost, once in a generation, or gloat that the Supreme Court can trample all over Scotland (and that being a good thing), and maybe one on "what currency will you use / aren't you grateful for the Bank of England" , though that question might be to distract from a question on "The Tories crashed the economy / only Labour can save us"

The one silver lining is there is no Lib Dem to sanctimoniously bemoan all of the above while adding nothing to the debate. 

45 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

I'd have stuck Mhairi Black in there. She'd have a field day with that lot

I am hoping they are saving her for that other  ‘ Paisley lass’  , Liz Truss.

Cant wait to hear Truss tell Black how her time in Paisley helped her understand the people living there and the social inequality she witnessed……….and the response. 

31 minutes ago, exile said:

QT bingo - I predict someone in the audience - maybe the first person - will say something like "I'm a Tory - (I run a business/I care for people/ I adopt orphaned fluffy bunnies)... Does Nicola Sturgeon detest me?" then sit back looking smug at the absolutely original zinger of a question, and Bruce will then be ringmaster for a pile-on on John Swinney, during which [for extra bingo bonus points]  Douglas Ross might refer to Alister Jack's HoC answer linking language to the murder of that Southend MP; meanwhile Anas Sarwar will say, or hint, something about the mask slipping to reveal the ugly face of nationalism.

Then, there must surely be a question on the Supreme Court, (unless BBC following a blackout policy), in which people will complain about the cost, once in a generation, or gloat that the Supreme Court can trample all over Scotland (and that being a good thing), and maybe one on "what currency will you use / aren't you grateful for the Bank of England" , though that question might be to distract from a question on "The Tories crashed the economy / only Labour can save us"

The one silver lining is there is no Lib Dem to sanctimoniously bemoan all of the above while adding nothing to the debate. 

Pretty much nailed it Exile and saves me an hour of my life I will never get back. 

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am hoping they are saving her for that other  ‘ Paisley lass’  , Liz Truss.

Cant wait to hear Truss tell Black how her time in Paisley helped her understand the people living there and the social inequality she witnessed……….and the response. 

I'd get the popcorn out for that one!

52 minutes ago, exile said:

Although its Musselburgh, which I think is in SNP held territory, there will be more plants in the audience than the Beechgrove Garden. No doubt will be bussed in from the likes of Morningside

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Ah yes, have you managed to find any of the lies you’ve accused me of peddling about Alex Salmond yet?

Jesus are you that crazy that you think that everyone on here the last 8 years plus never saw it. This whole thread (or rather indyref2) is a living testimony to it but multiple other threads. You have been pulled up on it so many times... 😀

Edited by thplinth

34 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Jesus are you that crazy that you think that everyone on here the last 8 years plus never saw it. This whole thread (or rather indyref2) is a living testimony to it but multiple other threads. You have been pulled up on it so many times... 😀

So it won’t be difficult to find then, will it.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I know you like to think you can cross examine folk on here and demand answers but why would anyone spend a second of their lives doing it. We all saw what you did.

Whereas you just toss out the smears without being able to back them up.  I think *we* all see you for what *you* are.