The Brexit Thread - Page 178 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

I actually feel embarrassed for them having that front page.

The people that headline would appeal to are few and far between... Well, I've rarely met any full-on 'Rule Britannia types'.

Are their front pages any indication of the type of person who actually works at the Daily Express?

I mean, are they all monarchy-loving BREXITeer loonies or are they actually normal, sensible, sane, centrist, people who just have an ability to  write mad shit.

... and whilst we're at it; how is the Express still going? I've never known anyone buy it.

So it turns out that it is the Labour party that is the first to support the Spanish template on Catalonia with regards Scotland  ....

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading some stuff on Reuters about the Uk’s final day in the EU. 
After being force fed the whole ugly mess daily over the last 3 yrs I actually feel a sadness at this stage. 

I voted Remain but accepted  the result. However watching Nigel Farage slevering away to the press saying    ‘i’ll miss ‘being the pantomime villain’ , like he has simply finished a xmas run at The Old Vic, and  ‘the uk didnt fit, we’re better off out’, like he is speaking for the whole of the UK, makes me sick. 

No consideration given to the fact that Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain. We have no voice whatsoever.  We are totally irrelevant and being sidelined and alienated day by day In this union. . 

Until now I have never ever felt resentment towards other parts of the UK,  my only wish has been for Scotland to look after itself independently. However  I am starting to feel different and tbh a bit aggrieved. 

I also feel fucking pissed off that we are so weak a nation and care so little that we just sit back and let it happen. 

I walked out of central station this morning and a group of homeless people are sleeping in a Union Jack pop up tent . Says it all really.

On the face of it 1st Feb will feel like any other day. But it really wont be. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Just reading some stuff on Reuters about the Uk’s final day in the EU. 
After being force fed the whole ugly mess daily over the last 3 yrs I actually feel a sadness at this stage. 

I voted Remain but accepted  the result. However watching Nigel Farage slevering away to the press saying    ‘i’ll miss ‘being the pantomime villain’ , like he has simply finished a xmas run at The Old Vic, and  ‘the uk didnt fit, we’re better off out’, like he is speaking for the whole of the UK, makes me sick. 

No consideration given to the fact that Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain. We have no voice whatsoever.  We are totally irrelevant and being sidelined and alienated day by day In this union. . 

Until now I have never ever felt resentment towards other parts of the UK,  my only wish has been for Scotland to look after itself independently. However  I am starting to feel different and tbh a bit aggrieved. 

I also feel fucking pissed off that we are so weak a nation and care so little that we just sit back and let it happen. 

I walked out of central station this morning and a group of homeless people are sleeping in a Union Jack pop up tent . Says it all really.

On the face of it 1st Feb will feel like any other day. But it really wont be. 

My resentment is reserved solely to Westminster and all that support and believe in that being the sole decider on Scotland's future.

I do not have resentment of English, Welsh or Northern Irish people - it is Westminster and its believers I cannot stomach.

Sadly, there are too many people in Scotland who care more about the union than they do about Scotland.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My resentment is reserved solely to Westminster and all that support and believe in that being the sole decider on Scotland's future.

I do not have resentment of English, Welsh or Northern Irish people - it is Westminster and its believers I cannot stomach.

Sadly, there are too many people in Scotland who care more about the union than they do about Scotland.

I dont resent individuals in the UK , I have a lot of friends in England in particular. I have just become more resentful of the control that England has.

Up till now I have begrudgingly accepted they are a larger country and therefore have more clout, but recent events have shown just how  little input we have and it is now pissing me off. 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont resent individuals in the UK , I have a lot of friends in England in particular. I have just become more resentful of the control that England has.

Up till now I have begrudgingly accepted they are a larger country and therefore have more clout, but recent events have shown just how  little input we have and it is now pissing me off. 

I see what you mean. For a long time there has been this view - shared by Unionists and independence supporters alike - that Scotland was a proud founding member of a sort-of equal Union - at least a Union equal in everything but numerical size.  But that has been increasingly  exposed as a fiction, a fantasy. At every opportunity, when Westminster could overrule, override or ignore Scotland's view, it has done so. Section 30 turned down, the visa suggestion, dismissed. The Sewel convention, the Smith commission, all are just conveniently sidelined or ignored. EU powers supposed to come back to Scotland, end up reserved after all? And maybe above all, the 3 devolved 'nations' refuse consent, and it hardly even makes the evening news. Britain shall have her Brexit, and no one is going to stop her.  While independence has its own positive logic, I've probably never felt more alienated and pushed away from feeling belonging to the UK.

Just now, Bonny79 said:

Thank fkkk its over.  

I know it hasn't begun yet but I mean the will it or won't it part is over.  

Betting that this whole thing turn out to be another Y2K panic over nothing. 

Stick your head in a blender and give everyone peace for fucks sake.

Those Union Jack waving cretins are dinosaurs. They live in a time when Britain had car, coal, steel making, electronics making and ship building industry. Now it makes bolts used to make cars, circuit boards in South Korean TVs, rivets for ships made elsewhere, and equipment made for miners overseas. As the song once went about Britain ruling the waves it would now struggle to rule a puddle.