The Brexit Thread - Page 179 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

13 hours ago, exile said:

I see what you mean. For a long time there has been this view - shared by Unionists and independence supporters alike - that Scotland was a proud founding member of a sort-of equal Union - at least a Union equal in everything but numerical size.  But that has been increasingly  exposed as a fiction, a fantasy. At every opportunity, when Westminster could overrule, override or ignore Scotland's view, it has done so. Section 30 turned down, the visa suggestion, dismissed. The Sewel convention, the Smith commission, all are just conveniently sidelined or ignored. EU powers supposed to come back to Scotland, end up reserved after all? And maybe above all, the 3 devolved 'nations' refuse consent, and it hardly even makes the evening news. Britain shall have her Brexit, and no one is going to stop her.  While independence has its own positive logic, I've probably never felt more alienated and pushed away from feeling belonging to the UK.

That’s exactly what I mean/feel. I think has become more apparent since the SNP has had more representation.  Before , the UK government would maybe throw Scotland the odd scrap to keep the Scottish unionist MPs / MSP’s happy,  but they really are showing their true colours now.   

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That’s exactly what I mean/feel. I think has become more apparent since the SNP has had more representation.  Before , the UK government would maybe throw Scotland the odd scrap to keep the Scottish unionist MPs / MSP’s happy,  but they really are showing their true colours now.   

Yes, and there is something else. Although Northern Ireland is generally more ignored in UK politics and public life and media, there is at least a sense of respect, that MPs from NI are genuinely reflecting real communities - they may not like SDLP or Sinn Fein but they respect that they represent their nationalist community; similarly they may secretly snigger at the DUP as 'dinosaurs' but they respect their mandate speaking for the unionist community there. But that respect is not accorded the SNP: they are told to sit down and shut up, they are told they do not speak for Scotland, they are told to get on with the day job. They are regarded as a minority regional party who runs schools and hospitals badly, rather than the representatives of at least half a nation - or in some cases, the only representatives speaking up for the whole nation.  This cannot hold; it feels like the end game.

9 hours ago, exile said:

And Glasgow again (Buchanan St)

EPpN4MSXsAIR36c?format=jpg&name=small

People may scorn at individuals spending their time on what probably looks like a pointless exercise. But getting off your arse and attending things like this when you want your views to be known does actually send a message. 

I mentioned in a previous post that I am pissed off with people just sitting back and letting us be treated like shit. I have to be honest and say I could do more myself , and if there is one resolution I will stick by this year its that I will make more effort to make my feelings heard.

I dont mean on here thankfully ....

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I mentioned in a previous post that I am pissed off with people just sitting back and letting us be treated like shit. I have to be honest and say I could do more myself , and if there is one resolution I will stick by this year its that I will make more effort to make my feelings heard.

Think you’re being too hard on yourself, only so much individuals can do and 2014 was, it seemed anyway, really well engaged by the vast majority of the country. 

Just need another referendum and yes will likely win but until then Scotland voted for this relationship 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

In rare moments of optimism and naivety I think this can be really good for the UK, people can work together and hold the Tories accountable for every decision, but can’t see it actually working out that way, the Tories will deflect like they always do and Labour are a shambles. 

Not a hope in hell. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think you’re being too hard on yourself, only so much individuals can do and 2014 was, it seemed anyway, really well engaged by the vast majority of the country. 

Just need another referendum and yes will likely win but until then Scotland voted for this relationship 

Yeah 2014 was very positive, apart from the bloody result that is.

I could make more effort though highlighting , to No voting  friends, the way we are being treated . Problem is most of my friends have little to no interest in politics and you walk a fine line between getting them to listen and switching them off completely. 
Maybe I should write a humorous poem , Spike Milligan style. 

On the Ning Nang Nong

Where Labour goes Bong

And the Tories all say BOO ! 

🤔,  I think this idea might have legs ....

I am posting this not so much as to ridicule, but to ensure that when Scotland gets independence we never ever replicate the way these Brexiteers celebrate. 

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-nigel-farage-parliament-square-a9312436.html?amp&amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#comments

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I am posting this not so much as to ridicule, but to ensure that when Scotland gets independence we never ever replicate the way these Brexiteers celebrate. 

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-nigel-farage-parliament-square-a9312436.html?amp&amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#comments

The only thing different from any indy refs would be the colour of the flags. 

7 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

The only thing different from any indy refs would be the colour of the flags. 

From what I have seen of the independence movement it is light years away from those Brexiteers. 
Putting up political figures who have stood in your way on a big screen to be demonised , and songs sung about 17 mio fuck offs?
Nah. Dont think so. 

5 hours ago, kumnio said:

Stick your head in a blender and give everyone peace for fucks sake.

This. In spades.

They can't get the irony of the fact that the so-called partner of equals that 55% voted for in good faith in 2014 - on the basis that it would guarantee our continued EU membership - ceased to exist at 2300 last night.

Edited by Barney Rubble

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

This. In spades.

They can't get the irony of the fact that the so-called partner of equals that 55% voted for in good faith in 2014 - on the basis that it would guarantee our continued EU membership - ceased to exist at 2300 last night.

No it wasn't.   Some of us vote NO regardless cause we don't want our country broken up. 

1 minute ago, Bonny79 said:

No it wasn't.   Some of us vote NO regardless cause we don't want our country broken up. 

Aye, it's much better to be governed by successive governments you didn't vote for. Being governed by a government who cares only for the bigger partner in the union is much better than breaking away.

Wake up min

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Aye, it's much better to be governed by successive governments you didn't vote for. Being governed by a government who cares only for the bigger partner in the union is much better than breaking away.

Wake up min

People in Scotland do vote for torys