Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 51 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Fair dues.

Think if the SNP can get 44% plus out to vote they should keep many seats. Due to last time there's surely going to be lost seats.

Each to their own, but I'd go with :

Under 40- disappointing.

40-45 - decent

45-49 - very good

50+ - an excellent night. On the same scale as the 2015 result.

Think we'll see a few losses, and don't think it'll be as simple as Perth/Moray etc. Maybe a few Labour wins in the likes of Cumbernauld, East Lothian? 

Then again there's a few three way marginals where the SNP could sneak it eg Renfrew, Ed South, etc.

Who knows though. 

No chance of Cumbernauld Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East going back to Labour at this election.

The prospect of a hung parliament (however improbable) could throw interesting light on the 'blocking indyref2' question, which so far is just a crude slogan seeking a kneejerk reaction. But just say there was a possibility of a hung parliament, with Labour the largest party seeking support of the SNP. It's not too hard to imagine the SNP asking for permission for indyref2 and the zen-like premier Corbyn agreeing to it. Even the thought of this possibility should concentrate minds on what the Labour position actually is... and by extension, what the Tory position is.

That seems to be that you need to vote Tory to stop something that May already has the power to stop, in principle. The argument goes that she wouldn't block it in practice, because it would be politically unpopular. But a Tory surge on an anti indyref ticket would give a mandate to override that assumption, and give permission to actually stop it. But that is really tantamount to giving Westminster the mandate to overrule Holyrood. In other words, a vote to 'say no to Nicola' can be seen as not simply an anti SNP gesture, but an anti-Holyrood one.

Put this way it's surprising that there has not been more made of it. Almost the entire Scottish tory campaign - and the most strident part of the Scottish labour and Lib Dem ones - is based on an invitation for Westminster to overrule Holyrood. Which is an odd position from MSPs Davidson, Dugdale and Rennie to aspire to.

Edited by exile

14 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Think if the SNP can get 44% plus out to vote they should keep many seats. Due to last time there's surely going to be lost seats.

Each to their own, but I'd go with :

Under 40- disappointing.

40-45 - decent

45-49 - very good

50+ - an excellent night. On the same scale as the 2015 result.

Think we'll see a few losses, and don't think it'll be as simple as Perth/Moray etc. Maybe a few Labour wins in the likes of Cumbernauld, East Lothian? 

Then again there's a few three way marginals where the SNP could sneak it eg Renfrew, Ed South, etc.

Who knows though. 

Yes I'd agree with at summary.

It really is quite hilarious listening to Tories almost wetting their pants about winning a handful of seats in Scotland. My how the mighty have fallen in that a party who have formed so many governments in Westminster and held majorities in Scotland are jizzing off about winning probably less than ten seats.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I'd agree with at summary.

It really is quite hilarious listening to Tories almost wetting their pants about winning a handful of seats in Scotland. My how the mighty have fallen in that a party who have formed so many governments in Westminster and held majorities in Scotland are jizzing off about winning probably less than ten seats.

Scottish Labour bigging up the Tories already

DBdaa26XUAAs53g.jpg

3 minutes ago, andymac said:

Did you read that article?

Yes - here is more of it if you need it

DBd0nj_XsAA-KRE.jpg

The guy is a cvnt of the highest order

look at his wee snipe of lies at the bottom too

Run the economy he says - Run the budget he means

Edited by Ally Bongo

Dugdales attack on Sturgeon in The Herald is utterly pathetic, she really isn't cut out for leadership, or even politics. 

Just when Corbyn is making Labour tolerable again, along comes Dugdale to remind me that ScotLab are a massive bunch of cnts. 

30 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes - here is more of it if you need it

DBd0nj_XsAA-KRE.jpg

The guy is a cvnt of the highest order

look at his wee snipe of lies at the bottom too

Run the economy he says - Run the budget he means

Utter crap. Going by the Tory propaganda forced through my letterbox without my permission it is the Tories and Tories alone making this into a Scotland V Britain thing. The SNP leaflets list their achievements and has no reference to referendums whilst the Tory one is all about vote Tory to preserve the union and NOTHING not one iota about its policies.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Utter crap. Going by the Tory propaganda forced through my letterbox without my permission it is the Tories and Tories alone making this into a Scotland V Britain thing. The SNP leaflets list their achievements and has no reference to referendums whilst the Tory one is all about vote Tory to preserve the union and NOTHING not one iota about its policies.

Pretty much the same with Labour and the LibDems bumph, with the exception that the Libs don't want us to have another "devisive"* referendum on independence but do want us to have another over Brexit.

* I'd like to know how you can have an undevisive referendum?

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Pretty much the same with Labour and the LibDems bumph, with the exception that the Libs don't want us to have another "devisive"* referendum on independence but do want us to have another over Brexit.

* I'd like to know how you can have an undevisive referendum?

Plus the Tories have no gripes about holding a snap election three years early that is devisive as well.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Dugdales attack on Sturgeon in The Herald is utterly pathetic, she really isn't cut out for leadership, or even politics. 

Just when Corbyn is making Labour tolerable again, along comes Dugdale to remind me that ScotLab are a massive bunch of cnts. 

I suppose Dugdale hasn't got the sense to realise that the Tories gaining seats in Scotland at SNP expense might actually help keep Labour out of power

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I suppose Dugdale hasn't got the sense to realise that the Tories gaining seats in Scotland at SNP expense might actually help keep Labour out of power

She does realise

Brings us back to the Union at all costs

Thats the Labour party