Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 55 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

14 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I keep thinking about Miliband getting rejected in favour of Cameron. Wings called that one right, saying that in a GE it often comes down to who the public can genuinely see as a statesmanlike leader. May being such a horrible cow is clouding my thinking though. 

My wife thought TM was going to be a good PM when elected, She can't be done with the sight of her now,, she is not politically minded but that seems to be the perception she has now,, the honeymoon period never lasted long with TM 

45 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I keep thinking about Miliband getting rejected in favour of Cameron. Wings called that one right, saying that in a GE it often comes down to who the public can genuinely see as a statesmanlike leader. May being such a horrible cow is clouding my thinking though. 

I think you're right although while I'm not convinced that many people think May fits the bill - or at least, a lot less now than did before the election was called - I suspect enough people will take the view that - in their opinion - that the alternative is worse.

One thing though that hadn't really been picked up.   There was a poll in the last couple of days on voting intentions but they also did the personal approval ratings - which I personally reckon are bollocks but are probably relevant in this context - and for the first time May's approval ratings were worse than Corbyn.

39 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My wife thought TM was going to be a good PM when elected, 

I assume your wife doesn't follow politics? As May has always a two-faced, evil cow. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I assume your wife doesn't follow politics? As May has always a two-faced, evil cow. 

I think he said his wife wasn't politically minded^_^

Edited by aaid

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

No she hates politics especially ATM but the point i was making is that when a politician is newly appointed it usually takes a couple of years before the mask slips and the "real" politician can be seen to joe public with little interest in day to day politics,, 

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No she hates politics especially ATM but the point i was making is that when a politician is newly appointed it usually takes a couple of years before the mask slips and the "real" politician can be seen to joe public with little interest in day to day politics,, 

She's been a minister since 2010 though, she's not newly appointed. A quick 2 minute look at her voting record shows what kind of person she is. 

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/votes

To think she would be a good PM, you'd have to know almost nothing about her. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

She's been a minister since 2010 though, she's not newly appointed. A quick 2 minute look at her voting record shows what kind of person she is. 

That probably covered at least 90% of the population at the time.

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think you're right although while I'm not convinced that many people think May fits the bill - or at least, a lot less now than did before the election was called - I suspect enough people will take the view that - in their opinion - that the alternative is worse.

One thing though that hadn't really been picked up.   There was a poll in the last couple of days on voting intentions but they also did the personal approval ratings - which I personally reckon are bollocks but are probably relevant in this context - and for the first time May's approval ratings were worse than Corbyn.

Yes I've seen that, which makes it more difficult to call. My wife liked Corbyn much better than May in the TV stand-up thingy the other night, and I think he is more 'likeable' than her. Just goes to show what a brilliant job the right wing media had done to demonise the guy.

Today the wife asked if I would divorce her if she voted Labour :o

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Yes I've seen that, which makes it more difficult to call. My wife liked Corbyn much better than May in the TV stand-up thingy the other night, and I think he is more 'likeable' than her. Just goes to show what a brilliant job the right wing media had done to demonise the guy.

And, did she get the answer she wanted?

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That probably covered at least 90% of the population at the time.

Not sure about the exact percentage but I'd say it is disturbingly high.

I come across so many people who are completely ignorant on the subject and vote without looking into the policies, they just don't seem to get how important it is. This makes it easy for political parties who use soundbites and catchphrases. So frustrating. 

10 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

During indy ref i got so invilved in the whole thing it was cracking the wife up, she said that if I didn't give it a rest she would vote no? It a good job because inwould have always held it against her,,its maybe a bit petty of me but i often categorise folk into yes and no voters and will always have a little chip on my shoulder against them,, yes i know  i shouldnt ?

53 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Not sure about the exact percentage but I'd say it is disturbingly high.

I come across so many people who are completely ignorant on the subject and vote without looking into the policies, they just don't seem to get how important it is. This makes it easy for political parties who use soundbites and catchphrases. So frustrating. 

To be fair though, she's never really been subjected to any scrutiny until now so its hardly surprising.  In the Tory leadership race, she was basically the last woman standing as all the other candidates either stabbed each other in the back or committed Hari-Kari.  

I've always been slightly conflicted by her given she's actually my MP.   She's a pretty good constituency MP and takes that side of it very seriously but I've never agreed with the policies she's either backed or implemented herself, consequently I've never voted for her.  Before she became PM I was fairly ambivalent about her personally but now I can't stand the sight of her and I know I'm not the only one locally that thinks that.  No danger of her not being elected on Thursday but I think there will be a bit of dent in that 30,000 majority.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

That's a great source of info. Never seen that before. Quite telling though!

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Storming speech there by Corbyn in Birmingham.

Michael crick was on channel 4 news the night and saying that no political leader since Churchill have drawing crowds like Jeramy corbyn has but of course the right media will never show this nor has the BBC for that matter any new polls out yet ? 

20 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Michael crick was on channel 4 news the night and saying that no political leader since Churchill have drawing crowds like Jeramy corbyn has but of course the right media will never show this nor has the BBC for that matter any new polls out yet ? 

Plus, Corbyn isn't in favouring of slaughtering brown people with chemical weapons, so is clearly superior to Churchill. 

28 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Meanwhile Tory supporters in a dank Edinburgh warehouse are told to clap and cheer May and The Tank Commander