Tamb - where did it all go wrong? - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tamb - where did it all go wrong?

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Most threads seem to have that capability of turning into Rangers or religion ones at the drop of a hat. 

Theres one in particular on non ta that is rather sad to read. 

People are leaving the board because it's the same repetitive pish getting spouted every day. 

Who gives a fvck if you believe in god or not, practice faith in a church, or don't practice it. 

Rangers died/no they didn't, again, who really gives a fvck anymore. 

Celtic sang this song, but rangers sang this one, again, does it really matter to you that it's worth arguing with a stranger on the internet over?

Some people seem to have a life revolving around these really unimportant issues and to be quite frank, if this is what gets them their kicks in life, I actually feel sorry for them. 

This (imo) is the reason this board is dying, its full of utter nonsense that people are sick of reading over and over again. 

Most threads also have the potential to turn into a misty eyed "where did all go wrong thread". The TAMB an internet message board it's always had issues but it is in decline, which this a probably inexorable though this is due as much to changes in people's habits due to there being more alternatives as to frustration/boredom with the content.

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So... folk moaning about the content of threads but don't post anything themselves to change the debate or start a new debate? 

It's getting pointless. The thread on European football discusses football for a few posts then goes off in a tangent about Christianity, hell and the lion king. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

It's getting pointless. The thread on European football discusses football for a few posts then goes off in a tangent about Christianity, hell and the lion king. 

We are just in a bit of a lull at the moment. Just wait until we get a date for the next referendum, then everything will be back to normal.;)

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

That's a recommendation in my book.
Where else would one get such eclecticism?

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Hakuna matata my friend.

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

It's discussed football loads. It's also had it's highest posting frequency in weeks over the last 24 hours and probably had more traffic that the thread on Ian Cathro. 

59 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

No point posting. Nobody even reports anyone now...used to be a scream _.)

I have only ever reported one person and that was myself a few board changes ago. I'd also got a new iPhone so between fat fingers and format change I reported myself most days. You I just report to Police Scotland but so far living among posh no voters isn't a crime so you're safe. For now. 

13 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have only ever reported one person and that was myself a few board changes ago. I'd also got a new iPhone so between fat fingers and format change I reported myself most days. You I just report to Police Scotland but so far living among posh no voters isn't a crime so you're safe. For now. 

Arf..

To be fair, most folk over the last few years slagged off Rangers, quite rightly if I'm honest. However one or two can't bring themselves to accept Rangers are a team still playing in Scotland which gets the reactions he/they probably intend by using many different monikers.

This gets the heckles up and personalities get challenged. Usually this descends into repetitive chaos.

2 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Arf..

Leave Arf out of this, he's not that bad.

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Pop ups like this doesn't help.

Screenshot_20170802_191216.png
good image hosting site

I'd love to get that ad', all I get is slimming clubs, shakes, supplements and aids. It's a sad day when your iPad joins in the "who ate all the pies" jibes. 

Guest flumax
15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'd love to get that ad', all I get is slimming clubs, shakes, supplements and aids. It's a sad day when your iPad joins in the "who ate all the pies" jibes. 

Makes a change for me to not have lithuanian /Muslim/milf bride offers 

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Pop ups like this doesn't help.

Screenshot_20170802_191216.png
good image hosting site

I mentioned this pop up crap on a thread a longish while ago. Unusually an admin or maybe a mod replied to the post saying it was news to them and they would look into it or something like that. Never heard of it again but the pop ups remain. 

I wondered before it completely declined if the board ownership changed hands.

Someone should start a Tamb2 just so we have somewhere to start the 'where did it all go wrong thread in Tamb1 (but on Tamb2). Can you imagine you come on here to have a moan and it is not here? 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I mentioned this pop up crap on a thread a longish while ago. Unusually an admin or maybe a mod replied to the post saying it was news to them and they would look into it or something like that. Never heard of it again but the pop ups remain. 

I wondered before it completely declined if the board ownership changed hands.

Someone should start a Tamb2 just so we have somewhere to start the 'where did it all go wrong thread in Tamb1 (but on Tamb2). Can you imagine you come on here to have a moan and it is not here? 

I said that about the quote function a while back, they just said the same. 

Not aware it and no one had mentioned it before.

Which was nonsense. 

Common sense required from Scotty and Larky in their postings. Stop doing it by numbers guys.

Thplinth - it isn't an offence to articulate your case without swear words. Try it sometime. You'll find it might enhance your argument once in a while.

Parkie's just Parkie - I've grown to like him him, a good guy who can take it as well as give it (most of the time).

Sorry to have lost Rossy's political analysis, which was spot on, however he head become way too personal with some of his comments and was heading for a kicking - some of his stuff was coming back to him as we know from his last contributions to this board. Would love to have him back.

It's a fans' forum after all.

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I get ads for cheap coal ☹️

Not as ramdom as some of the free gifts I have received from the internet. I ordered a sample of wallpaper recently and got a small bottle of something to spray on your pillow to help you sleep. Also, i ordered a new duvet cover and received a stick of rock in the parcel. Next to the rock there was a bit of paper that said ' You Rock' . 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I get ads for cheap coal ☹️

Not as ramdom as some of the free gifts I have received from the internet. I ordered a sample of wallpaper recently and got a small bottle of something to spray on your pillow to help you sleep. Also, i ordered a new duvet cover and received a stick of rock in the parcel. Next to the rock there was a bit of paper that said ' You Rock' . 

As you can probably tell from the types of pop ups I get if I received the rock with the wee note it would make me happy in 2 ways. I could stuff my face and also feel happy that someone thinks I rock. Validation is validation. 

(When your spray runs out add a few drops of lavender essential oil into your water for your iron and you'll drift off to lovely light scent. If you don't iron bedsheets put lavender oil into softener part of washing machine. In fact never use softener just use lavender.)

Just for balance...

9 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

To be fair, most folk over the last few years slagged off Rangers, quite rightly if I'm honest. However one or two Oldco fans can't bring themselves to accept Rangers are a new team playing in Scotland...

This gets the heckles up and usually this descends into repetitive chaos.

Otherwise, not bad.

On the original question:

I think the biggest factor in the decline of message boards (in general) has been social media. Why would you sign up and post to a message board when you can have your opinions viewed by more people on sites like Twitter? If people are going to post on sites like this, there needs to be content that people are interested in being posted on the site. Pie and Bovril has content other than the forum aspect, which may be part of the reason why they've been able to retain people when this site hasn't. Others have suggested that the debate on there is of a higher standard too, which will no doubt have an impact on retention of users.

Being able to access social media sites through apps will have no doubt had an impact on people's posting on the TAMB. If a the site isn't mobile friendly, it becomes hard for people in a mobile dominated age to post and they'll decide to go elsewhere. There's enough evidence to suggest that the mobile site is a major factor in the decline of this site. If that could be resolved, I think that people would slowly return once they're made aware of it. These apps will also have notifications to instantly tell people that someone has responded to their posts - something which is quite hard for a message board to do, unless there's a TAMB app...

Mobile advertising is clearly a big problem. Having pop-ups will just drive people away from the site; I, personally, back out of a site as soon as a mobile pop-up comes up and I'm sure others do to. It's especially a problem that the pop-ups clearly have content that most posters wouldn't want to see in any situation.

Moderation is a problem too. Moderators should be people who are active on the board and once people fall inactive, moderator controls should be revoked. I'm not sure who the current moderators are on this site. The role of moderators should be to enforce the board rules, but if they're not active - how can the board rules be enforced?

Looking at the available Alexa data for this site, this site was in the top 400,000 websites in the world for (estimated) views - now it's around 1.85 millionth. There's been a very large drop off in the last year, probably since the last board update, and something has to be done to reverse the decline. I don't know if it would be possible to revert the site back to the previous version, but other issues aside that do need to be addressed.

21 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Common sense required from Scotty and Larky in their postings. Stop doing it by numbers guys.

Thplinth - it isn't an offence to articulate your case without swear words. Try it sometime. You'll find it might enhance your argument once in a while.

Parkie's just Parkie - I've grown to like him him, a good guy who can take it as well as give it (most of the time).

Sorry to have lost Rossy's political analysis, which was spot on, however he head become way too personal with some of his comments and was heading for a kicking - some of his stuff was coming back to him as we know from his last contributions to this board. Would love to have him back.

I have grown to like  Parkie too. But dont tell him. 

21 hours ago, G-Man said:

As you can probably tell from the types of pop ups I get if I received the rock with the wee note it would make me happy in 2 ways. I could stuff my face and also feel happy that someone thinks I rock. Validation is validation. 

(When your spray runs out add a few drops of lavender essential oil into your water for your iron and you'll drift off to lovely light scent. If you don't iron bedsheets put lavender oil into softener part of washing machine. In fact never use softener just use lavender.)

Shhhh, we will get told off for derailing the thread. 

(Do you have to dilute the lavender oil?)

22 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Wow I like how you turn a thread into the TAMB into 4 TAMB posters giving them your criticisms. Gee thanks from such a heavyweight such as yourself.

But really it is just an excuse to do what you really wanted... crawl up Rossy's arsehole. FFS has another poster on here ever had a bigger mancrush over another poster than you Rubble. The laugh is the only time I saw him reply to your gushing fawning shite was to disdain you in the extreme. 

Oh and regards the swearing... 

F.Off.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Wow I like how you turn a thread into the TAMB into 4 TAMB posters giving them your criticisms. Gee thanks from such a heavyweight such as yourself.

But really it is just an excuse to do what you really wanted... crawl up Rossy's arsehole. FFS has another poster on here ever had a bigger mancrush over another poster than you Rubble. The laugh is the only time I saw him reply to your gushing fawning shite was to disdain you in the extreme. 

Oh and regards the swearing... 

F.Off.

Ah'm wae you. Ah'm a cvnt wae swearing.