Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

On 25/02/2018 at 3:04 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

There's Matt Smith too. Probably having his best season in the Championship and it might be quite useful having a 6'6'' striker in the squad. We're almost always going to play with one up front so three strikers in the squad is enough. It's looking like Griffiths, McBurnie and one of Martin, Smith or Cummings.

It's definitely a weak area but if McBurnie turns out to be a good Championship/lower end Premier League striker and Griffiths stays injury free it wont look so bad. 

I hadn't heard of Matt Smith before. Looks like a better option than Sam Gallagher at least.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You mean Matt Smith who was born in Birmingham and has represented England C?

I think his grandfather played for Clyde and St Mirren, and his dad played for Queens Park and Hearts in the 80's, before moving to Birmingham..... I think his mum is French (certainly remember there was a big deal made over him by the BBC few years back about how he put education first to get a degree at University and was fluent in French).

England C is effectively a non-league select, it means pretty much nothing in terms of international football.

Actually surprised Strachan never called him up, as he has all the criteria in a Strachan style striker, and he actually sang his praises VERY highly after he scored for Oldham against Liverpool years ago.

From what I've seen of McTominay he looks a decent player, but I don't believe he's got all the attributes to be playing at a club of Man Utd's aspirations for the long term, however, it can't be doing him any harm to be playing and learning from the players around him.

With regards to his international future, I've no problem with him weighing up his options and if he thinks he can play for England and subsequently play in major tournaments regularly then he'd be mad not to pursue that opportunity. If England don't pick him and we are the back up, I don't have a particular problem with that either, thats just the hierarchy of international football and we are way below the top international sides at present.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

From what I've seen of McTominay he looks a decent player, but I don't believe he's got all the attributes to be playing at a club of Man Utd's aspirations for the long term, however, it can't be doing him any harm to be playing and learning from the players around him.

With regards to his international future, I've no problem with him weighing up his options and if he thinks he can play for England and subsequently play in major tournaments regularly then he'd be mad not to pursue that opportunity. If England don't pick him and we are the back up, I don't have a particular problem with that either, thats just the hierarchy of international football and we are way below the top international sides at present.

I've got a major problem with my country being anyone's "back up".  Any player who thinks like that can GTF.  (Not saying McTominay does as none of us know for sure.)  I'd rather pick whoever plays in that position for Annan Athletic than some CV whore.

50 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I've got a major problem with my country being anyone's "back up".  Any player who thinks like that can GTF.  (Not saying McTominay does as none of us know for sure.)  I'd rather pick whoever plays in that position for Annan Athletic than some CV whore.

He is looking after number one, nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, davew said:

I hadn't heard of Matt Smith before. Looks like a better option than Sam Gallagher at least.

Gallagher's had an o.k season for Birmingham.

Number one striker by far is Griffiths who got better and better in the last campaign.

After that you have a lot of targetmen strikers who are of a similar standard e.g. championship/SPL level.

At least McBurnie is young and just needs regular games which he is getting at Barnsley.

Still can't believe Jason Cummings got a call up for the Holland game. :lol:

57 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Gallagher's had an o.k season for Birmingham.

Number one striker by far is Griffiths who got better and better in the last campaign.

After that you have a lot of targetmen strikers who are of a similar standard e.g. championship/SPL level.

At least McBurnie is young and just needs regular games which he is getting at Barnsley.

Still can't believe Jason Cummings got a call up for the Holland game. :lol:

You can’t believe Cummings got called into a squad where our midfield consisted of Hibs and Aberdeen players and Matt Phillips started as striker?

6 hours ago, Mox said:

He is looking after number one, nothing wrong with that.

McTominay might want to play for Scotland (I hope he does) but I wouldn't be surprised if he's looked at someone like Darren Fletcher - 33-years-old and never played at a major finals - and is asking himself if it's worth the risk.

Eck should definitely be trying to get in touch with him though to let him know that he's wanted.  Having a player of his calibre on board could make such a difference.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

McTominay might want to play for Scotland (I hope he does) but I wouldn't be surprised if he's looked at someone like Darren Fletcher - 33-years-old and never played at a major finals - and is asking himself if it's worth the risk.

Eck should definitely be trying to get in touch with him though to let him know that he's wanted.  Having a player of his calibre on board could make such a difference.

While it's good that he's getting games for man utd, he hasn't been that Impressive and I don't believe he's necessarily going to make it at united as he doesn't really do anything spectacular in games. If he chooses us then good if not then it's not a massive loss imo. We often produce midfielders of his type which mccrorie is looking like a talent of similar ability and style. 

7 hours ago, daviebee said:

:ok:

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

What a pity the decision to play for your country involves a risk assessment . 

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Eck should go and see the lad, give him on meeting. At the end of the meeting Eck should make it clear he has until the Ecks first squad is picked to decide whether he is going to play for us or not. If there’s no answer from the player, he doesn’t get another chance. You can’t just decide one day your up for it, it’s not all about mctominey, the scotland fans, the Scotland manager and potential team mates deserves the respect of an answer from him so they can move forward.

at his age you would think he’d want as much game time and exposure as he can get his hands on. 

It saddens me when I watch rugby, those players including those not born in Scotland would run through traffic and a brick wall for Scotland whilst I often get the impression the footballers see playing for Scotland as a hinderence.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

What a pity the decision to play for your country involves a risk assessment . 

Agreed.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

While it's good that he's getting games for man utd, he hasn't been that Impressive and I don't believe he's necessarily going to make it at united as he doesn't really do anything spectacular in games. If he chooses us then good if not then it's not a massive loss imo. We often produce midfielders of his type which mccrorie is looking like a talent of similar ability and style. 

We don't often produce midfielders capable of featuring regularly for top European club sides though. He might not turn out to be the next Paul Scholes but even if ultimately he doesn't make it at Man United it's likely he'll get a move and a regular game for a smaller EPL team, which is still a higher level than most of our current midfielders play.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don’t agree with this. McTominay and McRorie are breaking the mould in that they’re proper athletes with physique and pace. We don’t often produce those.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I agree that he hasn't been that impressive and doesn't do anything spectacular. But we're talking about a 21 year old who is already playing at the highest level. 

For me, he looks like he could be the next Darren Fletcher. So he would be a massive loss.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

We don't often produce midfielders capable of featuring regularly for top European club sides though. He might not turn out to be the next Paul Scholes but even if ultimately he doesn't make it at Man United it's likely he'll get a move and a regular game for a smaller EPL team, which is still a higher level than most of our current midfielders play.

I agree with what yer saying but I don't believe it to be huge loss if we don't get him. I believe Ross mccrorie is just as good and just because he's starting for man utd doesn't mean he will be there long term. Donald love started a couple of games and he now can't get a game for Sunderland. Hopefully mctominay becomes a regular for scotland and man utd but if not then another epl team would be ok.