Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 52 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

I've been saying it for weeks and seemingly the radio were touting it last night but Stephen O'Donnelll is a worth a call up at right back.

Absolute machine, puts in a great ball and can get past a man with ease. Good defensively too.

MOTM for me last night was Greg Taylor again but he's got a lot of competition at left back!

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've been saying it for weeks and seemingly the radio were touting it last night but Stephen O'Donnelll is a worth a call up at right back.

Absolute machine, puts in a great ball and can get past a man with ease. Good defensively too.

MOTM for me last night was Greg Taylor again but he's got a lot of competition at left back!

You're talking about a player that wasn't good enough for a team in League 2 last season. I really struggle to believe that he has improved that much in less than a season that he is now good enough for international football. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

You're talking about a player that wasn't good enough for a team in League 2 last season. I really struggle to believe that he has improved that much in less than a season that he is now good enough for international football. 

Well folk are wanting a player that wasn't good enough for Ayr last season to get called up.

Pardon me for commenting on players I watch every week.

Who would you call up at right back? Don't say James Forrest.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good to hear as we do need an out and out right back, maybe not to start but cover for any changes required Patterson has played one game at right back .I think he should be playing right mid 

19 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Well folk are wanting a player that wasn't good enough for Ayr last season to get called up.

Pardon me for commenting on players I watch every week.

Who would you call up at right back? Don't say James Forrest.

Not quite the same though, is it?

You can suggest him if you want. I just think you've been banging on about him for weeks unchallenged and it was time for someone to say he's not good enough.

Why would I suggest our first choice right winger for right-back? Personally, I'd go with Paterson. I know Cardiff are playing him a bit further forward but he's played there for us in the past and done well. Tierney is another option if we play 4-4-2 with Robertson at LB. 

I'm not sure Ralston is going to be good enough for this level. 

Stephen O'Donnell is a good shout irrespective of where he was last season.

Always thought when he was with Thistle that he had the potential to make it at international level if he kicked on. Pleased to see him performing so well under Clarke's tutelage after what seemed to be a slow start at Kilmarnock.

11 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell is a good shout irrespective of where he was last season.. Pleased to see him performing so well under Clarke's tutelage after what seemed to be a slow start at Kilmarnock.

Think a few people don't seem to get that when they write of players from what they saw in the past.

Hanley Snodgrass for two on here, both with new clubs and playing far far better

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Not quite the same though, is it?

You can suggest him if you want. I just think you've been banging on about him for weeks unchallenged and it was time for someone to say he's not good enough.

Why would I suggest our first choice right winger for right-back? Personally, I'd go with Paterson. I know Cardiff are playing him a bit further forward but he's played there for us in the past and done well. Tierney is another option if we play 4-4-2 with Robertson at LB. 

I'm not sure Ralston is going to be good enough for this level. 

As he's a natural right back playing right back every week and playing very well?

You have only suggested shoe horning players into that position as an alternative. I'm suggesting playing a proper right back at right back.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As he's a natural right back playing right back every week and playing very well?

You have only suggested shoe horning players into that position as an alternative. I'm suggesting playing a proper right back at right back.

I just don't think he is anywhere near good enough for international football. I'd rather stick with Anya or Martin than being him in. 

Paterson wouldn't exactly be shoe horned in. He has plenty of experience in that position.  

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Based on what exactly? Have you seen him play much? Go on, enlighten us.

Based on what I've seen of him and the views of Luton fans that saw him struggle in League 2.

Let's be honest, it's not the first time you've touted a Killie player for Scotland after a few decent matches. 

O’Donnell is arguably the best right back in the league right now. Was capped at U21 level and has regained the type of form that saw him get praise at Thistle and I presume a fairly lucrative move to Luton. Now have some pundits mentioning Scotland so not just Killie fans touting him. We could do worse as he’s the only suggestion who is actually playing right back at the moment.

I’d like to see O’Donnell do well for another season at this level before he’s thought about. It’s hard to see how a 25 year old could have made this jump to Scotland standard. But maybe he has. 

Plenty think that Jason Naismith at County  is going on to bigger things too. Reckon teams like Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will be looking at him for next season. Maybe he’s more likely to get capped? 

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Based on what I've seen of him and the views of Luton fans that saw him struggle in League 2.

Let's be honest, it's not the first time you've touted a Killie player for Scotland after a few decent matches. 

When was the last time you actually saw him play? Like at a game?

I'm saying he's worth a look at, you are writing him off.

Then again you like to tout mediocre English players for call ups. I couldn't care less what Luton fans say. That was then, this is now.

He's consistently in the SPFL team of the week, so it's not like I'm the only one going on about him. Unless I fix that and tell radio Scotland what to say.

I'll base my opinion on watching him every single week, you can based your opinion on fictional Luton fans and "what you've saw of him"

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

If we're being daft and touting folk like Stephen O'Donnell...then I'm going to say Richard Tait and Chris Cadden should be involved, arguably two of the best full-backs in the league

At least they are full backs......PASTA is wanting anyone but a right back to play right back!

34 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

That guys a rocket, that virtually thinks we should just drape the national team players in green and white hoops and be done with it.

Honestly, dont know why you bother arguing with him

You've made that opinion in 3 weeks? 

Imagine wanting to pick players that play for the best team in the country and have experience in the Champions League rather than players that struggled in League 2. 

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

When was the last time you actually saw him play? Like at a game?

I'm saying he's worth a look at, you are writing him off.

Then again you like to tout mediocre English players for call ups. I couldn't care less what Luton fans say. That was then, this is now.

He's consistently in the SPFL team of the week, so it's not like I'm the only one going on about him. Unless I fix that and tell radio Scotland what to say.

I'll base my opinion on watching him every single week, you can based your opinion on fictional Luton fans and "what you've saw of him"

Base your opinion on what you want. I'm going to keep reminding you that he's not good enough. 

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

Base your opinion on what you want. I'm going to keep reminding you that he's not good enough. 

I disagree with you on this one Mick, I'm afraid.

I've seen plenty of SOD at SPFL level both with Thistle and Kilmarnock, and he's well worth a call-up both on current form and given the other available alternatives.

Clearly from the choices available Callum Paterson should be the right back.

Im sure in his few months playing right wing he hasn’t forgotten how to play right back....!

Ryan Jack played excellently against Holland in difficult circumstances but is injured & Tony Ralston (who looks to have potential) has been/is also injured so looking at another right back for the squad would be a good idea.

Kilmarnock have been on a great run & would be nice to reward that by including one of their players in the squad. I don’t think playing in league 2 last season should count against O’Donnell, however, I’d be keen to see as many younger players as possible in these few squads where we can really freshen things up and blood in guys in their teens/early 20’s

45 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

You've made that opinion in 3 weeks? 

Imagine wanting to pick players that play for the best team in the country and have experience in the Champions League rather than players that struggled in League 2. 

3 weeks? I've observed this forum for around 20years and posted under a different name years, and years ago. You're continual trumpeting of all things Celtic, is as boring, as it is unsurprising. You're one of these halfwits that think Tierney is better than Robertson no doubt

Edited by ONeils4oyarder