Ireland v Sweden - Page 2 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland v Sweden

Rossy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Can't stand the Irish, the fawning they get in the Uk media, or their plastic paddy support.

Hope that Sweden hump them.

I fear though that the awful O'Neil inspired hoofball will be enough to get them a point against a fairly average Swedish team.

Yessssss come on Sweden !!

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Remember when the sight of Mcgeady in an Ireland shirt used to piss everyone off? Ha what were we thinking. 

To be fair he's had the last laugh playing in major tournaments.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Never realised he had 82 caps. Or was it 62 ?

Edited by Rossy

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

And he done feck all in the last euros as well. 3 x humpings they got in 2012 was it no? At the end of the day we could have picked him these last 10 years and he would have played well in a handful of games and wouldn't really have improved us

30 minutes ago, Boynze said:

this is a team that took 1 point from six against the team that finished fourth in qualifying.

they SHOULD be getting humped.

Alternatively, that team took 4 points from 6 off of the world champions.

11 minutes ago, JECK said:

At the end of the day we could have picked him these last 10 years and he would have played well in a handful of games and wouldn't really have improved us

I reckon we'd have made Euro 08 if he was in the team, probably at the peak of his ability then...

I watched Ireland's qualifier in Georgia. It was McGeady that dug them out of a hole with 2 goals, one a bit special. RoI only deserved a draw, but McGeady is a matchwinner on this day.

We could have done with him last september

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I watched Ireland's qualifier in Georgia. It was McGeady that dug them out of a hole with 2 goals, one a bit special. RoI only deserved a draw, but McGeady is a matchwinner on this day.

We could have done with him last september

Way past his best and overrated

Has he ever done it against top class opposition ?

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

We could do with a few players who can do it against average or even pretty pish opposition.:lol: I don't think he would have made much difference though.

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

We just need someone to do something half decent against the likes of Georgia and Ireland. I don't really think the benchmark is top class opposition.

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nope. He takes a lot of stick from Irish fans and pundits.

Incidentally, McCarthy took a pasting from Ireland's pundits tonight.

Dave, what do you think of RTE and 3's coverage? I have been watching quite a few games at work via them, and find them a much more informative and better watch than anything the 'British' pundits offer on UK tv. I have enjoyed Petit and Bilic so far. Keith Andrews has been an excellent co-commentator and certainly knew a lot about the non UK based players in both the UKR-GER and ENG-RUS game.

Thought the game today was quite poor. Surprised to see such a poor Swedish side. First touches' awful, poor passing - from both sides. Heard good things about Granqvist, but he looked an absolute carthorse today. Zlatan wasn't exactly great either he seemed to just wrestle about before giving the ball away. Olsson played well after a shaky start, and Guidetti actually looking not bad when he came on.

Ireland played quite well. Whilst it isn't that attractive to watch. It is effective, and they had Sweden on the ropes for long periods of the game. Fair dues to MON too for trying to go for the win.

We'll see what happens, but possibly both sides could end up with 1pt and whoever is third one of the worst ones who does not advance. Then again, I wouldn't bet against the Irish getting a result against Belgium or Italy, the Irish are a very hard-working team who have the balls - some may say luck, I wouldn't - to grind out fantastic results against big teams.

Seen Sweden in a few qualifiers, and didn't impress. Humped by Austria, although they did look good last week against Wales B team in a friendly.

The group could go either way really. Belgium should be strong enough on paper to qualify, but I am not sure.