Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 100 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

9 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Probably not.  I can only think of John Terry coming through the ranks to be a regular at Chelsea in recent times and since he made his debut "notable" players we've brought through would include Allan McGregor, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, Barrie Mckay, Maurice Ross (pish but was an international player), Stevie Smith, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde who all went on to have decent runs in the first team before moving on.  I've not counted any of the players (with the exception of McKay) who all came in to the squad when we were relegated...as that doesn't really count....

Dearie me. You're scraping the barrel.

I think only Hutton and McGregor would ever have even got a game for Chelsea. Who've produced Terry, Scott Sinclair, Carlton Cole, Robert Huth, Miroslav Stoch, Michael Mancienne, Fabio Borini, Jeffry Bruma, Gael Kakuta, Patrick Van Arnholt, Ryan Bertrand, Lucas Piazon, Nathan Ake, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Nathan Cholaba over a similar time period. 

I'd say Chelsea is a better place for his development than Ibrox. 

To be fair, if you hoover up as many youngsters as Chelsea, you're going to get a couple that go on to do ok.

Few of those listed have made any impact at Chelsea. (Although comparing Chelsea 1st team to Mo Ross isn't really a comparison...)

On a slight tangent, I heard a thong on talksport about Brentford, and how they were scrapping their academy operation, as they couldn't compete with the bigger London clubs, so are looking to just pick up drop outs from their academies at the older age groups.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-closed-academy-restructured-youth-11320185

Just now, sbcmfc said:

Few of those listed have made any impact at Chelsea. (Although comparing Chelsea 1st team to Mo Ross isn't really a comparison...)

Mo Ross and Gregg Wylde... :lol: 

TBF I didn't say any of them had made an impact. I said Chelsea are better at bringing through players than Rangers. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think only Hutton and McGregor would ever have even got a game for Chelsea. Who've produced Terry, Scott Sinclair, Carlton Cole, Robert Huth, Miroslav Stoch, Michael Mancienne, Fabio Borini, Jeffry Bruma, Gael Kakuta, Patrick Van Arnholt, Ryan Bertrand, Lucas Piazon, Nathan Ake, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Nathan Cholaba over a similar time period. 

I wasn't meaning ones who would play for Chelsea, none of the ones I mentioned would.  I was talking about bringing through first youth players to play in the first team.

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The normal distribution applies to that bunch.

54 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Can't see that being a good move for the boy, other than financially.  Chelsea don't exactly have a good record at bringing through young players.

Neither do Rangers to be fair!

He's right to leave Rangers in the state they are in just now. A club like Southampton or Swansea would perhaps have been a better choice but when teams like Barcelona, Chelsea and Bayern have actually asked you to sign, it must be hard to turn one of them down.

He's set for life but I'm from the same town as him and he is from a grounded family and certainly not a Feruz. He'll have a decent career at a decent level, whether that is Chelsea remains to be seen.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

30 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Probably not.  I can only think of John Terry coming through the ranks to be a regular at Chelsea in recent times and since he made his debut "notable" players we've brought through would include Allan McGregor, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, Barrie Mckay, Maurice Ross (pish but was an international player), Stevie Smith, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde who all went on to have decent runs in the first team before moving on.  I've not counted any of the players (with the exception of McKay) who all came in to the squad when we were relegated...as that doesn't really count....

That's some record for the last 15 years!

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Billy Gilmour signed with Chelsea.

A bad move by the young man - imagine some agent picked up some weekend money for advising him to move.

The blue noses got 500k for him, that will really help re-build the first team squad :lol:

10 minutes ago, andymac said:

???

He's shite, i agree. He is an England international though. Slightly better standard of player than Gregg Wylde :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's set for life but I'm from the same town as him and he is from a grounded family and certainly not a Feruz. He'll have a decent career at a decent level, whether that is Chelsea remains to be seen.

Is he the new Robbie Muirhead?  :P

Sorry.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

For years I was the lone voice on here praising Maloney. That changed in the last campaign. It will change even more of he signs for Aberdeen. 

That's normally a curse for any player. 

1 hour ago, wellyman said:

A bad move by the young man - imagine some agent picked up some weekend money for advising him to move.

The blue noses got 500k for him, that will really help re-build the first team squad :lol:

It will earn him a small fortune and, if he is any good, he'll get punted out on loan to a club playing at a decent level in England (or abroad if he's lucky). If he is really good and, is professional about his attitude to fitness, nutrition and workrate, he can learn and have at least a chance of establishing himself at Chelsea. Or he could stay at ra Gers and try to get in a team alongside Halliday and Waghorn. Must have been a tough decision.

Edited by Pool Q

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Christophe Berra has apparently told Ipswich he won't be renewing his contract and is coming back to Scotland to be nearer his family.  I'd assume he'll end up back at Hearts.

Rangers are apparently close to a deal for Rashid Sumalia and keen on Bruno Alves.  Sumalia worked with Caixhina out in Qatar so that one would make sense but I'd imagine Alves would be out of our price range even at 35.

Bruno Alves has always been one of those players over the last 10 years or so, where every time I've seen him I am always utterly baffled that he's played at the level he has. An absolute bomb scare that quite frankly is a danger in both boxes.

45 minutes ago, Mox said:

Bruno Alves has always been one of those players over the last 10 years or so, where every time I've seen him I am always utterly baffled that he's played at the level he has. An absolute bomb scare that quite frankly is a danger in both boxes.

Should fit in well at Ibrox then.

Hyndman's loan period is up due to injury and Hill has been told he can leave at the end of the season. Chelsea don't have a great record of bringing through players from their youth ranks. He would have been better going to a club like Bournemouth ir Southampton  who have a more progessrive approach. Rangers simply can't hang on to these players unless they commit to giving them a chance in the first team.

Edit. Apologies. Just seen this is been posted by Fairbairn earlier in the thread.

Edited by EddardStark

13 hours ago, Pool Q said:

It will earn him a small fortune and, if he is any good, he'll get punted out on loan to a club playing at a decent level in England (or abroad if he's lucky). If he is really good and, is professional about his attitude to fitness, nutrition and workrate, he can learn and have at least a chance of establishing himself at Chelsea. Or he could stay at ra Gers and try to get in a team alongside Halliday and Waghorn. Must have been a tough decision.

Looking at the possibilities of playing along side the likes of Waghorn & Halliday he most probably had the taxi waiting outside !  -  in the situation regarding Chelsea the money rules the football as he would have to get the breaks and as you say be dedicated to looking after himself to break through there.

The top clubs in England require instant success , and in most cases that does not allow the youth players the time to advance through the system, I hope the boy goes on to make it but  it is a major ask.

On 06 May 2017 at 6:23 PM, Pool Q said:

McGinn has played very little football at any sort of a level, doubt if Hibs would get anything like the figure quoted above at the moment.

I assume you don't regard the Scottish Premiership as "any sort of level" then, given that he made 87 appearances for St. Mirren at that level.

Not to mention being capped at U17, U19, U21 and senior level for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

I assume you don't regard the Scottish Premiership as "any sort of level" then, given that he made 87 appearances for St. Mirren at that level.

Not to mention being capped at U17, U19, U21 and senior level for Scotland.

Kenny McLean has done all that and more. No one is paying £1.5 million for him either. 

I think McGinn is a decent player, don't get me wrong. However from (limited) viewings of him, he's not in the same league as someone like Stuart Armstrong and isn't even on the level of Calum McGregor. His short-range passing leaves a lot to be desired and he often runs himself in to crowds of opponents. 

He does have the ability to drive his team up the pitch and glide past opponents though, something which is difficult to coach in to someone. Where as i've no doubt with work he could improve his passing and decision making.