Rangers players in squad by qualifiers. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers players in squad by qualifiers.

Guest allyc

1 hour ago, jock strap said:

Didn't know he was the only uncapped player in the squad to be honest. 

I rate Shinnie, his time will come and he will get capped. It's just unfortunate that he wasn't capped against Gib. 

It's classic Scotland. Shinnie is probably about 25 now and still 'one for the future'.

We are one of the only countries who just don't cap young players.

In no way am I saying it's correct but if Wales or N.Ireland had a young player at a big team he would be capped - Often before he had even played much in the first team of that club! Again not saying that's correct but we seem to think players need to serve their time till their mid 20's and beyond and eventually gets to a point we're better off looking at younger options after yet another failed campaign.... Arrggghhhhhhh!

15 minutes ago, Debian said:

I would imagine if we are going with '2 squads' and McGinn being touted, then Holt, Wallace and McKay would also be in contention.

Lewis MacLeod was called up not too long ago.

I think we need to stop looking at the Scottish Championship at the moment if we are looking for younger players to be introduced - These players will be in contention at some point but i'd be disappointed if all the above were called up.

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think we need to stop looking at the Scottish Championship at the moment if we are looking for younger players to be introduced - These players will be in contention at some point but i'd be disappointed if all the above were called up.

I'm not necessarily saying that these Rangers players should be called up however if they are good enough then the league they are playing in shouldn't matter (to a certain extent).

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm not necessarily saying that these Rangers players should be called up however if they are good enough then the league they are playing in shouldn't matter (to a certain extent).

I agree, to an extent. However, we also need to look at whether the players deserve it. I've seen St Mirren fans on here saying McGinn was rank in the Premiership last season, he may have improved but it seems strange to call him up after a good 8 months in a lower league. 

Of the Rangers players, I can only comment on Wallace, who should be about 4th or 5th in line for the left back slot. Behind Robertson, Shinnie, Tierney and maybe Forsyth.

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I agree, to an extent. However, we also need to look at whether the players deserve it. I've seen St Mirren fans on here saying McGinn was rank in the Premiership last season, he may have improved but it seems strange to call him up after a good 8 months in a lower league. 

Of the Rangers players, I can only comment on Wallace, who should be about 4th or 5th in line for the left back slot. Behind Robertson, Shinnie, Tierney and maybe Forsyth.

And my precious Bazza Douglas ;)

58 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It's classic Scotland. Shinnie is probably about 25 now and still 'one for the future'.

In no way am I saying it's correct but if Wales or N.Ireland had a young player at a big team he would be capped - Often before he had even played much in the first team of that club! Again not saying that's correct but we seem to think players need to serve their time till their mid 20's and beyond and eventually gets to a point we're better off looking at younger options after yet another failed campaign.... Arrggghhhhhhh!

Good valid point.

He should be capped in the friendlies. 

Totally agree with the youth policy not being tried in friendlies or 'dead' qualifiers. Should be capped and tried. ??

5 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Good valid point.

He should be capped in the friendlies. 

Totally agree with the youth policy not being tried in friendlies or 'dead' qualifiers. Should be capped and tried. ??

I took a lot of flak on here for having a pop at our team selections in both the Qatar and Gibraltar games. It was clear at the time that we were wasting chances to try new players.

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I took a lot of flak on here for having a pop at our team selections in both the Qatar and Gibraltar games. It was clear at the time that we were wasting chances to try new players.

Aye, can see both points of view but now I agree with the loss of opportunity we had to 'blood' players in a competitive match.

I hope we don't get that opportunity again if that makes sense ?

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, some people on here consider any criticism of Strachan's tactics, selections etc to be a kind of heresy that needs to be stamped out.

Now I'm behind the guy 100% and want him to stay as manager but it's unreal how some refuse to question a few deeply regrettable decisions he has made. Particularly his reluctance to bring in younger players and not ditch his favourites who are clearly past it.

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, some people on here consider any criticism of Strachan's tactics, selections etc to be a kind of heresy that needs to be stamped out.

Now I'm behind the guy 100% and want him to stay as manager but it's unreal how some refuse to question a few deeply regrettable decisions he has made. Particularly his reluctance to bring in younger players and not ditch his favourites who are clearly past it.

Great post ??

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Agreed, great post!

Strachan has been brilliant since he came in and there is no denying we have improved.

The problem is last campaign he picked the same 14-15 players in the same formation no matter who the opposition was, current club form etc. We were so one dimensional that even Georgia figured us out and with no plan B we kissed goodbye to our Euro 2016 hopes!!!

He needs to mix it up a bit more this campaign, get the youngsters involved and play the players who are in form for their clubs. This should lead to ALL players being hungry to get in the starting 11 - not 15 players knowing their likely to start and the other 10 knowing their effectively just making the numbers up and unlikely to play!

16 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

Agreed, great post!

Strachan has been brilliant since he came in and there is no denying we have improved.

The problem is last campaign he picked the same 14-15 players in the same formation no matter who the opposition was, current club form etc. We were so one dimensional that even Georgia figured us out and with no plan B we kissed goodbye to our Euro 2016 hopes!!!

He needs to mix it up a bit more this campaign, get the youngsters involved and play the players who are in form for their clubs. This should lead to ALL players being hungry to get in the starting 11 - not 15 players knowing their likely to start and the other 10 knowing their effectively just making the numbers up and unlikely to play!

Another great post.

Any more of these and people will start to get worried ?

3 hours ago, jock strap said:

Didn't know he was the only uncapped player in the squad to be honest. 

I rate Shinnie, his time will come and he will get capped. It's just unfortunate that he wasn't capped against Gib. 

Maybe if he'd taken it seriously and not jumped into the crowd for selfies at half-time he'd have come on in the second half.  

Should get his chance in the games coming up though.

Strachan should look at how Alex McLeish managed to keep a good campaign going and get good friendly results whilst still taking the opportunity to try out new players, most of them young.

He was only in charge for ten games but he did good work in freshening Smith's team up.

Took the risk of throwing in Stephen McManus and Scott Brown (when still a Hibee) for only their second caps in a must win competitive game against Georgia at Hampden. Won 2-1 but admittedly that game was a bloody nail biter !

He also gave debuts to Alan McGregor, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam against Austria in a friendly. Won 1-0.

Brought Steven Naismith (when still a Killie player) on against the Faroes. Won 2-0.

Introduced Barry Robson and Jay McEvely in a friendly against South Africa. Ok, admittedly the last two aren't much to write home about ! Won 1-0.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think this only applies to borderline players. If an outstanding prospect emerges he'll be picked. Robertson being one example and Tierney about to follow. I remember McStay making his debut at 18. Just think of the players he was keeping out of the team, Strachan included.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's more chance than Ryan Jack! 

Ryan Jack doesn't deserve a call-up this season. He's been poor and seems to have regressed. I don't think being made captain has helped his game. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Ryan Jack doesn't deserve a call-up this season. He's been poor and seems to have regressed. I don't think being made captain has helped his game. 

You would like to think that being made Captain would bring you in rather than regressing.

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think this only applies to borderline players. If an outstanding prospect emerges he'll be picked. Robertson being one example and Tierney about to follow. I remember McStay making his debut at 18. Just think of the players he was keeping out of the team, Strachan included.

Without wanting to sound like a d!ck, picking Paul McStay as rhe 3rd example, from 33 years ago, doesn't make us sound too prolific in the capping of promising youngsters does it?!

17 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Without wanting to sound like a d!ck, picking Paul McStay as rhe 3rd example, from 33 years ago, doesn't make us sound too prolific in the capping of promising youngsters does it?!

Not really had that many dream youngsters to be fair since then.

any achievement team wise has come from effort rather than world class ability...imo.

On 07/03/2016 at 7:35 PM, PASTA Mick said:

McKay.

Next question. 

No thanks

13 hours ago, rossh said:

Mckay definitely deserves a call up. Wallace I'm not sure about, he has been excellent this year for us but defensively might still be behind a few other candidates.

Jason Holt also can't be far away from being called up if he keeps his form up.

Mckay was absolutley dire for the U21s last time I saw him, really dont think he deserves it yet, if he plays well next season then maybe

I don't care what league a player plays in if he can contribute to our success, seeing players at Hamilton and Kilmarnock taking Northern Ireland to the Euros is a good example of this.

Personally I think Lee Wallace is an outstanding player, he was unplayable on Saturday, the other one for me who could add something is Danny Wilson, he's been a scapegoat of the Rangers support but has been excellent recently in my opinion, and we've not got many central defenders.

Michael O'halloran is also a dangerous player.

10 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

And in any case the OP is talking about the next qualifiers by which time it's not inconceivable that Rangers could be top of the Premiership...