Rangers players in squad by qualifiers. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers players in squad by qualifiers.

Guest allyc

Lee Wallace and Andy Halliday should definitely be in these squads . Some of these obscure picks like cooper of a poor Leeds and Burke in a mediocre forest baffles me . Queue anti Rangers (sevco) bile . Strachans time maybe was up as he failed in getting us qualified anyway . 

3 minutes ago, Naranjito82 said:

Lee Wallace and Andy Halliday should definitely be in these squads . Some of these obscure picks like cooper of a poor Leeds and Burke in a mediocre forest baffles me . Queue anti Rangers (sevco) bile . Strachans time maybe was up as he failed in getting us qualified anyway . 

:rollsmile:

So good of you to join us Mr Dingwall.

Strachan made the correct decision leaving out these very unremarkable Rangers players.

17 hours ago, Kirk said:

Lee Wallace is f*ckin pish, if he hadnt taken a few years out to play in the lower leagues then he would probably be playing at a decent level with a lot of caps. He took that step down and so did his form/ability. He is maybe playing better than he has been but hes about 4th in line for lb now. Danny Wilson is dire, doesnt even need discussing!

Lee Wallace was unplayable on Saturday, he's been excellent all season, the lower division argument doesn't hold much water unless you tar McGinn with the same brush.

Are cooper or Greer much better than Wilson? (who people still forget is a young defender).

1 minute ago, Radian said:

^^^^^On current firm Danny Wilson will not be at Rangers next season let alone get called up to a Scotland team

Aie - shipping 2 goals in their last 10 games is brutal form...

^^^^^I'm a rangers fan who regularly goes to Ibrox so you can keep your smart arse responses to yourself.  A good defensive unit which Wilson gets carried along by.  In the summer he'll be replaced 

3 minutes ago, Radian said:

^^^^^I'm a rangers fan who regularly goes to Ibrox so you can keep your smart arse responses to yourself.  A good defensive unit which Wilson gets carried along by.  In the summer he'll be replaced 

Like every player in the squad he's improved dramatically as the season goes on. As 2 goals in 10 games suggests - including 3 matches against higher division opposition.

5 hours ago, Radian said:

Your clearly one of the folk I hear moaning about the guy everytime he touches the ball but wouldn't moan at McKay if he scored an own goal.

Wilson has been a solid cog and performed exceptionally well ever since the Hibs game in December.

15 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Lee Wallace was unplayable on Saturday, he's been excellent all season, the lower division argument doesn't hold much water unless you tar McGinn with the same brush.

Are cooper or Greer much better than Wilson? (who people still forget is a young defender).

Unplayable nae danger. Id have Robertson, Tierney and Shinnie ahead of him without a second thought. Mcginn is the u21 captain and has been great for them, probabpy just to give him a taster in the main squad more than anything. Cooper and Greer who play in a  better league in different positions are great comparisons.

10 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Your clearly one of the folk I hear moaning about the guy everytime he touches the ball but wouldn't moan at McKay if he scored an own goal.

Wilson has been a solid cog and performed exceptionally well ever since the Hibs game in December.

I disagree mate.  Wilson has looked incredibly shaky at times.  His positioning can be awful  and he's not half the player he thinks he his.  There's a good player in there but he needs to improve a lot of aspects especially his concentration.  He's nowhere near international class at the moment and isn't even close to the standard he was during his first spell with us.

Unless Wilson has improved an awful lot since last season (possible I suppose) he shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland squad. Lee Wallace is playing well by all accounts, but he does tend to struggle at a better level, where his lack of positional awareness can be exposed. I honestly doubt if he offers much that Robertson or Tierney don't, while the likes of Whittaker and Forsyth already provide cover.  The phrase 'flat track bully' might cover Wallace I think, although he has played at a good level in the past so may well be able to do so again. Time will tell. I really rate Holt, said months back that we made a mistake letting him leave when we did, he's the one Rangers player unlucky to miss out in my opinion.

Edited by Pool Q

11 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Unless Wilson has improved an awful lot since last season (possible I suppose) he shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland squad. Lee Wallace is playing well by all accounts, but he does tend to struggle at a better level, where his lack of positional awareness can be exposed. I honestly doubt if he offers much that Robertson or Tierney don't, while the likes of Whittaker and Forsyth already provide cover.  The phrase 'flat track bully' might cover Wallace I think, although he has played at a good level in the past so may well be able to do so again. Time will tell. I really rate Holt, said months back that we made a mistake letting him leave when we did, he's the one Rangers player unlucky to miss out in my opinion.

I'd add McKay to that too however they are both young so plenty of time to get themselves in the squad if they continue to improve.

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd add McKay to that too however they are both young so plenty of time to get themselves in the squad if they continue to improve.

Won't pretend to have seen much of him, happy to take your word for it. I thought Jamie Walker might be in with a shout, and I'd guess Calum Paterson would have been in one of the squads if fit. None of these are players that really demanded inclusion though, they are all pretty much at the margins.

Edit: Should have mentioned Shinnie and McCormack in earlier post, they are genuinely unlucky not to be included.

Edited by Pool Q

• 1 year later...
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, ProudScot said:

It's classic Scotland. Shinnie is probably about 25 now and still 'one for the future'.

We are one of the only countries who just don't cap young players.

In no way am I saying it's correct but if Wales or N.Ireland had a young player at a big team he would be capped - Often before he had even played much in the first team of that club! Again not saying that's correct but we seem to think players need to serve their time till their mid 20's and beyond and eventually gets to a point we're better off looking at younger options after yet another failed campaign.... Arrggghhhhhhh!

Good example of the above now seen with Wales capping 17 year old Ben Woodburn. He's played 7 games for Liverpool.

Would we ever do that? And Wales are far superior to ourselves.

Oh and incidentally Shinnie is now a year older and still isn't capped!

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Good example of the above now seen with Wales capping 17 year old Ben Woodburn. He's played 7 games for Liverpool.

Would we ever do that? And Wales are far superior to ourselves.

Oh and incidentally Shinnie is now a year older and still isn't capped!

I don't think anyone thinks Shinnie is one for the future. He's just got better players ahead of him in the squad. 

Wales are probably capping Woodburn to tie him to Wales. 

15 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Future starter and destroys the point you are trying to make about waiting to cap promising players.

I would predict that McGinn will have a better career than Shinnie.  

No, no it doesn't.

If McGinn was 17 and at a top club & Also had barely played first team football then yes, yes it would.

We will see how he fares next seaon and see if you are right....

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

If McGinn  was better than Shinnie then he'd be playing for Aberdeen and not in the Scottish 2nd tier. 

#PASTAMickLogic 

Maybe PASTA Mick is actually WGS? 

It would explain some of the more bizarre squad choices.