Jonah Lomu - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

That's so sad. I knew he'd been generally unwell for some years but this is still a shock.

I met him briefly some years back at a dinner, when he was at the height of his fame and had somehow slipped away from his minders and the hordes of people chasing him for an autograph. He was really sound and was happy to sign an autograph for me, before his minders swooped.

Still got visions of him knocking over the England players on his way to a try

Remember hearing the commentary from and Aussie or Kiwi commentator on that try ---

"He's gone through both the Underwood's and if Mrs Underwood was down there he would most probably go through her as well" !!!!!

Great sportsman !!!!!!

A true legend of his sport and apparently a genuinely nice guy judging by all reports.

Loved watching him play and the game against England where he basically ran through Mike Catt stands out.

Also less pleasingly when he did the same to Scotland and Gavin Hastings.

Utterly awesome player.

RIP Big Man.

A true legend of his sport and apparently a genuinely nice guy judging by all reports.

Loved watching him play and the game against England where he basically ran through Mike Catt stands out.

Also less pleasingly when he did the same to Scotland and Gavin Hastings.

Utterly awesome player.

RIP Big Man.

Ah sorry RB, you got in before me.

He was the first player to make rugby exciting for me.

I only ever watched Scotland v England games back in the day, but you couldn't wait to see him getting the ball & start running.

Reminds me of the impact Ronaldo (the real one) had when he came on the scene - you'd never seen anything like it.

Seemed like a fine lad as well off the pitch, so it's a real shame.

I've only ever been to a handful of RU games (obviously preferring proper rugby), but one of the games was North of England v. All Blacks not long after he broke on the scene. It was played at Huddersfield in blizzard conditions & he said afterwards something along the lines of it being the first time he'd ever seen snow & that the weather had slowed him down in a way no English player had ever managed. Even off his game though the guy was truly awesome to watch.

Am I imagining this or what? But I seem to remember him playing against England and not sure who it was, Guscott or Carling maybe when he used one arm to drag one of the English lads into touch then stood there pissing himself laughing at the dejected Englishman on the turf.